Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Myths and Mountains tours - anyone traveled with them?

Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I am thinking of using them for a Vietnam trip. Has anyone been with them? If so, how do they compare to some of the other companies, e.g. Backroads, Mt. Sobek, etc.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM

I've used them on several trips and they are terrific. They booked my Vietnam trip 2 years ago and I ended up seeing more than other tourists on similar itineraries. I trraveled alone so they customized my trip and were able to offer a lot of advice. If you are dealing with Toni, I can assure you that you can't go wrong with them.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused. I am single, and prefer to travel with others in a group. Do they only do custom tours or do they offer groups too?

Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:53 PM

I used them on a trip to India and it was superb. It was one of their standard itineraries but there were only 3 of us on it.

Then they did a custom trip for me to rarely visited places in Thailand and it was awful. The guide had never even been to 50% of the places and kept asking me what my guide book said about the place. I had booked the trip in a year in advance and he had been booked 9 months in advance (he lives in Chiang Mai and Toni had raved about him). Seems to me he could have done some homework. It was the worst private trip I had ever taken.

I think as long as you are doing one of their regular itineraries or do a custom that isn't unusual, you will be happy.

They do have organized tours but you need to check to see if they are how many people need to sign up before it goes and how often it cancels.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:48 AM

They have group tours. I generally prefer to have my own guide and driver so that I have the flexibility to stop when and where I want to.