myanmar vs. vietnam vs. Singapore

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
myanmar vs. vietnam vs. Singapore

Hello everyone! I am traveling to SE asia in Dec.(Hong Kong and Bangkok). I have an extra week and am deciding between Vietnam vs. Myanmar vs. Singapore, any thoughts.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Vietnam and Burma are both wonderful. Singapore, I feel, is extremely boring.
What specifically are you looking for?
If it's cities, I'd go to Vietnam since Hanoi is a wonderful and fascinating city.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Vietnam-great food, lots of history and culture, good shopping, some nice beaches, good transport infrastructure, many people are not all that traveller-friendly and many are major rip-off artists. There is something missing!!! Not sure what after two trips in 2003. Just cannot put my finger on it. Maybe too busy catching up with the world?Vietnam does not satisfy the soul!(imho)

Myanmar-lovely gentle people, magic Bagan, peaceful Yangon, food not fabulous but OK (they try hard) poor transport infrastructure i.e. roads, trains, boats (air is OK). A travel experience not to be missed imho. Cannot say why we love Myanmar so much. It is such a unique country. Unspoilt like Laos but with so much misery, the people manage to overcome their adversities and do not treat travellers like they are walking wallets!

Singapore-boring, structured society bent on providing antiseptic travel experiences. My partner lived and worked there for several years and we've travelled twice there and both times wished we were in Hong Kong!

Good luck deciding!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM

have you also thought about angkor wat...it is perfect for 5 days...its one hour via bangkok air from bkk....i would vote for myanmar over singapore unless you want a sterile city...hanoi in vn is an interesting area...
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Since you are already going to two major metropolises, Singapore would not be unique compared to vietnam or myanmar. Both are interesting and offer something different.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Of the 3 countries u mentioned I would say Myanmar or Vietnam. Def not S'pore IMO. U could also consider Cambodia and Laos - a perfect week lng break, spend 3 nights in Siem Reap while exploring the temples then 3 in Luang Prabang winding down. Take it u are not interested in seeing China from HK?