Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Myanmar Tour- Odysseys Unlimited or Asia Transpacific

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Myanmar for early 2014. One couple in the group has used Odysseys Unlimited for other tours. Does anyone have any experience with Odysseys Unlimited for Myanmar. I have also looked at Asia Transpacific Journeys. Their cost is higher, but am wondering if their tours are significantly better for the money? We do want to go on a small group tour - not travel independently for this trip. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't take a group tour to Myanmar. No need - it's easy to travel (once you've made your hotel/flight reservations with a local agent) and group travel insulates you from interacting with the local people. Plenty of us here on Fodors have traveled independently to Burma. I encourage you to do so as well.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 05:14 AM

If you are a small group yourself as you mentioned the other couple maybe you could be your own group. Contact local agents to see if they could propose something of interest similar to Odysseys's itinerary. If they have access to a van it would be possible and most likely cheaper. Of course you'd have to check what the price would be for your airfare from your home to Yangon and return to really see how cost effective it is. Most hotels will provide breakfast in their rate. If you plan for a guided tour with a local agent you can tailor make your own trip.

Odysseys gets good reviews and has a good rating from BBB. The price includes your international airfare, most meals, and very nice hotels. If it were me I'd choose Odyssey due to reviews, BBB rating, price.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Asia Transpacific offers custom tours forbsmall groups of family and friends too.
Compare the hotels and locations of each tour company. Both have good reviews but are not in the same category, Asia Transpacific is in a more luxurious category.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM

I've never gone on a tour, but have considered it at times and have spoken to representatives at AsiaTranspacific quite a few times; they are exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful. That said, they are likely to be working with a local company to help set up any small group tour. The head of the company was there in the late spring of 2012 to start working on developing the company's tours so their history in Myanmar is quite short, but they're noted for finding very experienced people to work with and are geared to high end clients--and charging for it. By using a local agency, you're eliminating the middle man and lowering your costs, although you may not have the kind of handholding that a AsiaTranspacific will probably try to provide. There are a number of agencies that Fodorites have written about on the forum. Many of us have used Santa Maria to good results. If you're concerned about having to organize things by yourself, you might consider going on a Pandaw River Cruise; we did that as half of our trip last fall, and cant recommend it enough!

As Chris45ny mentions, you and another couple constitute a small group already, and it wouldn't be difficult to work with a local agency to have them make arrangements for you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 04:26 AM

I couldn't compare the two companies but I did go with Odysseys Unlimited on their Myanmar trip last November and was very pleased. It was a group of 24 so if you really want a small group experience that is probably too many people. But we had a fabulous time and zero complaints.