Myanmar - OK to Travel?

Search

Myanmar - OK to Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myanmar - OK to Travel?

We have long been considering a trip to Myanmar. It seems like February of next year might work. With the recent typhoon we wondered whether it was still feasible to visit Bagan, Inle Lake, and Mandalay?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:17 AM

All of the cities you've mentioned are quite far from the coast and were not affected by the typhoon.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM

My wife and I are off to Burma this month. It's our understanding that Bagan, Inle Lake, and Mandalay were untouched by the clyclone.

There's a good cyclone blog on www.pandaw.com that relates to the cyclone.

Apart from chopped down trees, there appears to be no evidence of the cyclone in Rangoon, either. There's a report from another Fodorite saying this if you want to do a search of the forums.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Would love to hear your experiences since I am off to Myanmar in Feb.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM

briefly, bagan was amazing to see. don't miss it !!!!!
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Thanks-will only have time for Yangon, Bagan and Inle.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Good hotel in Rangoon is The Savoy. Nice secluded pool, good spacious rooms, excellent bar and an equally excellent happy hour, and good restaurants. Much better (with apolgies to dogster) than The Strand (no pool, and the service is no better than The Savoy - but you poay more than double the price).

The Governor's Residence is pleasant, but a bit off the beaten track.

El cheapo (well, around $45-$50 a night) is the Chatrium (good Chinese food and a pretty good buffet breakfast, plus good rooms and hot showers).

Can't help with anywhere else, as we stayed aboard our ship, the Pandaw IV, for 10 nights.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Mitch, you silly old fart, lol.

Of course he's completely wrong. The Strand is the best.

You know they even tried to sink the Pandaw when he was on it - just to get rid of him. True.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM

I'm booked at the Gov Res. and hope it's not too far out of the way-this is a last minute add-on to my trip so need to do more research. Did you see any other females traveling solo there?
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM

I've stayed there moremiles; you'll feel totally, totally comfortable there as a solo gal.

It's not too far out of the way, but there's no life around the hotel. It's a cab ride to anywhere. That's no problem. Good restaurant tho'.

See if you can get an upstairs room. Some of the downstairs ones have pathways running by the windows so people can look in. I guess it's up and running now. They got bashed around in the cyclone.

It's a classy joint. You can feel relaxed about your choice as you'll KNOW from the moment your hostess greets you in the garden.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Thanks-can't wait! It looks like a magical place although I do have mixed feelings about visiting.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Dogster - unlike most of us - can afford the outrageous prices they charge at The Strand *lmfao* because he is "the" professional traveller extraordinnaire!

Rangoon is a very safe city. As for other girls/travellers, my wife and I never saw any apart from catching the occasional glimpse of our fellow Pandaw passengers.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I won't really be alone that much since I'll have a guide some of the time but am having some mixed feelings about going at all.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM

If you are interested in the Strand, you might check their website for specials. We found rates for the Strand that were less than Governor's Residence. Strand was offering packages (including room, breakfast, spa treatment, tea, ...) for less than $200 per night.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Too late for moremiles I think, winter, but great advice.

Don't tell Mitch but that's exactly how I did my deals there. Only a total idiot would pay the rack rate. Last time I was there I got it at $125, room only. Off-season they're virtually empty. [or were]

You have to get into the website, then look for Promotions.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Gov's Res. is about the same and inc. breakfast-would've liked a spa treatment thrown in too!
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 08:05 PM

dogster - after reading your glowing comments about the Strand over time, we are really looking forward to our stay coming up! Any last-minute tips about good restaurants nearby or anything else from a Strand-insider?! Thanks again!
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Hi Winter; I'm delighted that I can carve a trail - although, as you'll soon see, I wasn't being exactly intrepid. This is a very smo-o-o-oth experience.

Try and get a room on the front. Look at the picture of the hotel. See the first floor? Those rooms have a door onto the big balcony overlooking the street. Street life is very interesting there. But all the rooms are fine. Lovely wooden floors.

Use the staff. You'll have your own butler. A discreet tip works wonders. They'll change money, run errands. Usually they're totally bored.

Remember, most of people serving you food and drink, carrying your bags etc. will have University degrees. [Which says a lot, doesn't it?].

The concierge there will solve restaurants. There aren't many to choose from. Within walking distance is one cool joint the name of which I utterly forget. Exit hotel. Turn left. Walk along the big road maybe three long blocks, take a right. You'll find it.

[give there directions to your butler and he'll identify it pronto.]

I never did eat in the main dining room there but I kinda wish I had. You'll be the ONLY customers, but I reckon it'd be worth it.

Interesting history book in your room is worth a quick read.

Room service club sandwich is nice. lol.

The shop downstairs is WAY WAY overpriced, but, after much research, I can tell you that the stuff there is much better than almost anywhere you're likely to find. So, it's the devil's bargain. If you see it there and like it, buy it.

I hope you have a chance to meet the manager - he's a very charming man.

The only way to make Scott Market work for you is a/ take your time and b/ go upstairs to the first floor balcony. Walk along it, take a right and you'll find two fantastic hidden secret shops full of Burmese curiosities and great tribal stuff. Mucho Nagaland.

Stop and look at pirate DVD's in the street. You'll get 10 latest release movies on one DVD for $1.20.

You'll find a great little book/magazine street market just a block or so behind the Strand. Amazing, amazing stuff.

Walk the streets. Even just around the few blocks surrounding the hotel is very interesting, in a strange kinda way. Stop and drink chai somewhere. Just doing that is a huge adventure. Smile a lot but don't look like a loon. That includes policemen. Don't take their picture. I mean it.

It's all pretty ratty and strange, but I really like it a lot. It's up to you how you deal with it.

Oh, and for Shwedagon... stay till the sun goes down and after. Your guide will want you out. Dump him/her and get a cab home if necessary. Stay. You'll see why.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM

To add to the dogster recco:

We ate at the coffee shop at the Strand during our stay and it was OK but not great. Contemplated eating at the main dining room as well but I figure how fresh can the food be if they don't have any customers(non for the 3 nights we were there)? The cheese in the cheese tray looked very mature! We did have a good meal at La Planteur and if you go DO NOT use the service of the restaurant's classic car.

Lastly, don't use the limo service at the Strand, waste of money for a ride in old Volvo.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Maybe I can change my reservation at GM...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -