My Thailand Report, Hope It Helps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I want to thank every one who has been so willing to share their wonderful advice on this forum. I’ll try not to make this too long and try to go for what I think is most helpful. By the way there were 4 of us making this trip, 2 couples. Flying to Thailand was not too bad, flew Delta from Atlanta to Tokyo (coach). The service was great and they provided us with lots of water which was greatly needed. Our friends who we met in Bangkok flew 1st class w/ Korean Air and said they had to constantly ask for their water and drinks. Flew Thai Air from Tokyo to Bangkok (coach) the seats were very small for a 7 hour flight. I do not know if we were tiered at this point and were experiencing some swelling but it felt like a very close fit. We did use Thai Air 3 other times for domestic flights and the seats did not seem so bad then. A good thing is that we slept for those 7 hours. We arrive and go for the shortest line in customs. Once we get to the counter we were told we were in the wrong section. There is like 10 or 11 sections, down a long hall way, it starts at the higher number down to the end. Of course ours is the last one. Every airline has its own section. There is a board when you arrive and written down in black ink is the info you need. We used ACC Limo service for our ride to the hotel, recommended in this forum. We booked them in advance; [email protected] after getting our bags it was close to midnight, so it was nice to have some one there ready to take us to our hotel. They are located near the airport exit doors.

Day 1
We stayed at the Landmark Hotel which we also found on this forum. Booked it through Priceline for $110 then upgraded at the hotel for an additional $56. At the end it came to $185 per night including the VAT tax. Breakfast would have not been included with the original price. Breakfast was wonderful, they had a large selection of food to choose from and the hotel it self was beautiful and modern.
(The last night before heading home we stayed here again and did not upgrade, the room was a little older but not much different from the upgrade.) Also, this hotel has a British pub with really good food and if you get a little home sick room service has the best hamburgers I have had in a long time.
Day 2
We took a taxi to the Grand Palace, tried to get there by 8am. Even with the traffic, this was the better option according to our concierge. Out side the palace we used a licensed guide named Jakie, [email protected] Her English is very good and she’s very funny. She was also our guide at Wat Phra Kaeo. After we were done with our tour, Jakie recommended a jewelry factory which I would skip, overpriced. At night we went to Lumphini Stadium, we got our tickets at our hotel, about $50 p/p for ring side seats. The guys loved the fights and we girls did too. Did not feel unsafe at any time, pretty much ring side seats are all tourist. The night market is right behind Lumphini stadium so we walked around and did some shopping afterwards.
Day 3
We use Mint as our guide, which we booked through Ratt. Mint got there early, was very friendly and her English is good. I think she drove a new Honda Accord. Again there were 4 of us and we were comfortable. We drove past the salt mines, stopped at the Benjarong factory (small but neat to see), and then to the Floating market. After we were done there we went to the Royal Thai handicrafts, very impressive wood work. After this we decided to have lunch at the Rose garden. They have a buffet and a restaurant; we opted for the restaurant and invited Mint for lunch. She helped out with the menu and we loved the choices she made. After lunch we stayed for the cultural show. For dinner we took the dinner cruise at the Oriental, loved it and would recommend it. http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/510000041.asp
After dinner we were very fortunate to see an incredible fire works show on the river. According to the Oriental the fire works are random.
Day 4
Today we took cooking classes at the Baipai Cooking School. http://www.baipai.com/courses.php Loved it we also recommend. Eat a very light breakfast because you will be eating most of the time there. Afterwards, recommend by our hotel we were picked up at our hotel by Thatri Sinutok and his driver from World Crystal co. This is a jewelry store we would definitely recommend. Thatri was very helpful, extremely patient, and most of all very knowledgeable on gems. We had the floor to our selves and looked at several pieces; we were not rushed or pushed into buying out side our budget. http://www.wcc.co.th At night we had dinner at the Dome, the view is incredible, the restaurant Sirocco also incredible, the food we actually did not like. It’s suppose to be Mediterranean flare but very bland. http://www.thedomebkk.com/web/corp_about.html
Day 5
Flew to Chiang Mai, out side the airport we took 2 taxis (more comfortable) which we paid to stay with us for the rest of our stay in Chiang Mai. Noi and George were the drivers, their price was economical and they took us any were we wanted and waited for us as long as we needed. Very friendly and we had no problem with their English. For a car service in Chiang Mai call Noi, her cell# is 01-3873284, she does not have and e-mail address. First day here went to Wat Doi Suthep and Wat Suan Dok. Later in the afternoon, Noi and George dropped us off at oasis spa which was incredible and would strongly recommend. The service was wonderful. Instead of having the driver from spa drop us off at the hotel we had him drop us off at the night bazaar (which they will do for free).
Day 6
Noi and George took us Elephant trekking and bamboo rafting. Lunch is included with the price of admission to the camp. It was nice to have Noi and George waiting for us with water instead of being in those big busses full of tourist. That evening on short notice we decided to have dinner at the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center, we really enjoyed the show and the food was incredible. Noi set some one up from the center to take us back to our hotel at no cost. If you set the dinner in advance through their web site you will have better seats towards the front. http://www.oldchiangmai.com .
Day 7
Our last day in Chiang Mai Noi and George took us to Wat Chedi Luang and to Wat Chet Yot. The rest of the day we went shopping. Any thing you want to shop for they will take you. I wanted to have lunch at Piccolo Roma on the forums recommendation. I personally thought it was very expensive, for Chiang Mai, lunch with drinks was about 50 US dollars per couple. That evening once again we had to go back to the spa. We simply loved Chiang Mai the people were wonderful and most places give you free rides, of course tips are greatly appreciated. You c can’t beat that.
Day 8
Flew to Phuket, took an airport van to our hotel. Since it’s so touristy every were you go they want to sell you tours. Our driver pretends to stop at a local office to get directions to our hotel, while he goes in, some one comes out to sell you different tour options. I was not particularly fond of this scam. You just have to tell them that you have been to Phuket before and are just there to relax. Don’t make the mistake of saying it’s you first time there. Anyway we stayed at the Old Phuket Hotel, great location, walking distance to the beach and it was a gorgeous beach. There are two tour guide office near by, which gives you the option to compare prices and set up the tours you want.
Day 9
We took the day trip to the Phi Phi Islands, prepare for a bumpy ride. It can take from 1 hour to 1 ½ depending on the water. If you are pregnant you are not allowed to take the trip. After taking the ride I can definitely see why. This is the tour that takes you to the “The Beach” were the movie was filmed. There is an additional fee to be able to get off on this island and there has to be a majority vote on the boat to go there. Our group was a no go on that vote. I do not think we missed much since there are so many beautiful beaches in Phuket.
Day 10
We took the day trip to the Phang-nga, the boat is much bigger and it’s more of a calm ride. We really enjoyed this trip. On this trip you go to the famous “James Bond” island and go kayaking. They do the kayaking while you enjoy the ride. Later on the beach if you want to do some kayaking they will lend you a kayak.
Day 11
Today we rested on the beach in front of our hotel.
Day 12
Flew back to Bangkok and did more shopping. We went to MBK, I thought it was going to be like the night markets we had been to, but it was like a mall; seven floors of every thing but traditional Thai items.
Day 13
Went to Wat Arun, had lunch at Jim Thompson House, did not take the tour. This was our last day in Thailand; we were trying to get in as much a possible. When you walk out of Jim Thompson’s house if you walk to the left down that little street, there are two small stores with traditional Thai items (I think it was the 2nd one had better prices). Last night here, we had to go to one more Muay Thai fight. Tonight it was at the Ratchadamnoem Stadium. From here went back to our hotel to shower and head to the airport to catch a 1:50 am flight home. Just thinking about it makes me sad again. We simply loved Thailand and every thing it had to offer. If you love to travel as much as I do, this a country you must not miss. Happy travels.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrific report - thanks for posting!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great time. We're staying at the Old Phuket Hotel in November, so your positive review was comforting. We also ate at the Piccolo Roma in CM. It was a bit pricey for CM, but about 1/2 of what we would pay back in Boston for the same level of food. Did you get to talk to the owner?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Great report - easy read. Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:49 AM

just for me to understand your bkk arrival....are you saying that they now assign you to a certain line for immigration rather than picking your own line....and that the line is assigned by flight number?? if so this is new this year...
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM

i enjoyed the report....thanks...i will say however that your landmark was not cheap in any way and $56 for an upgrade is quite a bit more than normal---usuallly about $40-45 for upgrades at 4 star hotels...

next time try the river hotels...for that price you could have a much nicer hotel, although the landmark is decent and in a good location...

don't you just love the little tricks---taxi stopping for directions and people selling you tours instantly...that's thailand...
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Gpanda, yes we did get to speak to the owner, very nice guy. What I also liked about the Old Phuket Hotel it was walking distance to several restautants.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Rhkkmk, yes we actually went through two lines. 1st time went for the shortest line, 2nd followed some people from our flight, finally we understood that we had to go thorough a specific immigration line(Every airline had its own line).
Next time we will defently look to staying at one of the river hotels.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Glad you liked the Old Phuket, one of our favorites, did you get to see those new rooms they have built opposite the main building ? The jacuzzi rooms ? We had a look and they were great!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

JamesA, We actually stayed on the main building on the 1st floor. I liked the outside showers. We did have a jacuzzi tub inside.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:53 AM

We have had those too, their family tooms also a bargain!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Hi Nikko

Can you tell us how much you paid to have Noi and George in Chiang Mai? Were they with you the whole time? Or did you just call them whenever you needed to go somewhere?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Reeta, sorry it has been so long since your posting. (I hope you get this), I can not remember how much they charged us but it was very inexpensive for staying with us all day and taking us every were we wanted in 2 cars. They picked us when we wanted and made great recommendations along the way.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM

kind of "Homer & Marge go abroad" trip. Helpless pilgrims paying way too much for everything, obsessed with shopping & unable to go anywhere without a driver & guide. Do you think you are in the 18th or 19th C.? This is barely travel - like staying at home with help.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks Nikkko!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:12 AM

merkxxx.
That was uncalled for. Who made you God of travel?
Sue
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

First of all merckxxx, we have traveled to many parts of the world with out guides, with out tour busses or as you call the "Homer and Marge go abroad trip". This is in fact the first time we had someone with us as drivers and guides. In fact they became more than that, they became our friends. To the four of us who made this trip, Chiang Mai would not have been the same with out Noi and George. On every trip, no matter where you go in the world there is someone who you meet and try to get to know over drinks, dinner, ect... It is obvious you haven't grown much from your travel experiences. This post is for Noi and George