Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > My Southeast Asia Flightplan (I think I need some help here)

My Southeast Asia Flightplan (I think I need some help here)

May 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

My Southeast Asia Flightplan (I think I need some help here)

Good afternoon!

After much research, I assembled a preliminary itinerary and corresponding flights.

The preliminary itinerary:

Bangkok 2 nights (oct, 21, 22)
Siem Reap 3 nights (oct 23, 24, 25)
HCMC 3 nights (oct 26, 27, 28)
Hanoi 3 nights (oct 29, 30, 31)
Luang Prabang 3 nights (nov 1, 2, 3)
Chiang Mai 3 nights (nov 4, 5, 6)
Bangkok 1 night (Nov 7)

The flights:

*PHL - TPA
Oct 18 ($79 each way, $65 each way for my pet-as in my pet poodle, not my husband, hee hee hee)
Ive got to stop at TPA to drop my pet off at my parents house.

*TPA - LAX/SFO
Oct 19 (same price of $159 each way on Air Tran, which I swore Id never fly again…)

*LAX/SFO - BKK
Oct 20 ($2400 roundtrip from LAX to BKK on expedia.com)

*Im now working on figuring out the inter-continental flights.
So far Ive deduced the following:

(1) It looks like I need to go to a travel agent to get the Discovery Pass, if I determine that will even save me money.

(2) Lao airlines goes non-stop on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai.

Other than this I have no idea what Im doing as far as inter-continental flights are concerned…Please Help!!!

Thank you in advance! Carrie

May 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM

If you are asking for feedback on your itinerary, I'd suggest that you'll enjoy it more if you cut one place. If I were you, I'd cut HCMC. Add a day to Hanoi so you really have 3 days in Hanoi, and add the other 2 days to Bangkok.

In terms of intra-asia flights, I'd ask Eddie at the AmEx agency in Bangkok for a price quote.

In terms of flights from the US, you're trip down to Tampa is really the long way to go. You'll probably find better prices flying from the East coast. No reason to do all of those separate legs (which, by being on separate tickts, means you aren't protected if there is a glitch someonewhere and you miss a flight).

Also, I find I can do better on the individual airline sites rather than expedia.
May 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

a HA! So thats who "Eddie in Bangkok" is! I read about him in althom1122's posts. Thank you

Ok, HCMC is now officially out.
May 24th, 2006, 12:43 PM

If you need Eddie's email, let me know. I know it's been posted here a number of times.
May 24th, 2006, 03:44 PM

$2,400 for LAX-BKK for one person or two? If it's one, then it's way too expensive. Also, why fly from the East Coast to the west before going to BKK? Why not fly Thai non-stop from New York. Much faster.
May 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Kathie: I think I found his email in some previous posts (I used [email protected]). Thank you!

rkkwan: You are correct-that quote was for two of us! I had originally thought it was better to leave from the west coast b/c thats how expedia had me going. Many thanks to those of you who said NOT to use expedia and similar types of websites.

So far the best rate Ive found is China Air which is $960.00 r/t per person from JFK to BKK.

Now all I have to do is figure out how Im going to get from PHL to JFK. Hee hee hee!
May 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Whoops!

I mean the best rate Ive found is $750 + tax r/t per person (still China Air).
May 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM

NG-try the non-stop Thai air flight JFK-BKK. It will cost more than China Air, but take much less time and you'll get in to BKK in the late afternoon.
May 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Gpanda: You rock.

I only quickly looked and Im only speaking in rounded, averaged numbers, but it looks like for two people its only like $500 more to take Thai Air v. China Air. And its like a 16 hour flight v. a 28 hour flight.

So...is 12 hours worth $500? YEAH!

Thanks so very much!
May 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Yup, just drop a note to Eddie! He came through for us.
And I agree with Kathie on dropping HCMC and adding time to Bangkok.
You're arriving in Bangkok on my birthday (Oct 21) - I'll be jealous...
Karen
May 25th, 2006, 03:00 PM

For the flights within Asia, I found it was much cheaper to use Expedia. I contacted Eddie and several other travel agents in Asia, and Expedia was hundreds of dollars less expensive for the 6 flights we needed. Expedia put us on 3 different airlines and we never had a problem.
May 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM

really? that's exactly the opposite of my experience. Expedia was hundreds of dollars more.
May 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM

jodi, after replying to you last night it occurred to me that you might have gotten cheaper prices on Expedia because they booked you on budget airlines. The budget airlines are fine as long as you know that:
-the baggage allowance is very small, often 15 kgs, and you will be charged substantially for any extra baggage
-there is no assigned seating
-there is no refund or exchange of the tickets for any reason. If you miss your flight, you have to buy a new ticket (at a much higher price)

If you opt for a full-service airline, like Thai,
- you get a full baggage allowance
- you get preassigned seats
- tickets are fully flexible: refundable, changeable, etc

What you choose depends on how you like to travel.
May 26th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Kathie,
No budget airlines -- we flew Thai Airways, Vietnam Airlines and Bangkok Air. And not only that -- they put us in Business Class for every flight that had a Biz class section. It was great!
May 26th, 2006, 08:27 AM

jodinews - I don't what places you flew to but if you got better rates with Expedia you were the exception. Just checking now for interest, a return flight with Thai between Bangkok and Chiang Mai is $150.16 with Expedia compared with the airlines web site of $119. As for flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap with Bangkok Air they say none available. Same with Bangkok to Ko Samui.
May 26th, 2006, 09:46 AM

jodi, I'm glad you had a good experience with expedia's prices. As Scotters says, you seem to be the exception!
May 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Dear rkkwan:

I was reading through this post and realized that I gave Gpanda props for recommending the direct Thai Air flight but failed to acknowledge that you gave me the same great advice!

rkkwan, this is just for you:

Ok, I spelled out "U ROCK" in little stars but that doesnt seem to be apparent…

Anyway, thanks again for that great advice!!

May 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM

NatureGirl - Don't worry about it. Only thing important is that you know about that JFK-BKK option.

I frequent this board to have fun. I don't care if I am recognized or not.

Search this Thread