Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A week in Hong Kong with a 6 yr old-where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking forward to visiting Hong Kong with our 6 yr old son in April. I am overwhelmed researching hotel options and the best location to stay. What neighborhood is the best is the best to in? Hong Kong Island vs. Kowloon? Having a pool at the hotel important to us. This limits us from renting an apartment for the week, unless anyone knows of an apartment that has a pool on site.
We plan to spend one day at Disneyland, a trip to Stanley or Repulse Bay while in Hong Kong.
Any restaurant and shopping recommendations are welcome too.
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't know your budget -- but I'd really consider the Salisbury YMCA. Right on the waterfront, steps from the Star Ferry, on site pools, etc. Some rooms have breathtaking views across to Central and the light shows. (It is a full service hotel -- not your typical neighborhood 'Y')
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:58 AM

There are good places to stay in both Kowloon and on Hong Kong Island. Hotel prices are very high in Hong Kong, and the Salisbury is one of the few moderately priced options. If you have hotel points - this is the place to use them!

In Kowloon, the Sheraton is a block closer to the waterfront than the Salisbury. Right on the waterfront is the Intercontinental.

On Hong Kong Island, I love the location of the JW Marriott and the Shangnri-La, right at Hong Kong Park. With a child, staying at the park seems like a fine idea.

There are, of course, many other options as well.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Janisj and Katie, thanks for your input. I'll look up the Salisbury YMCA and hotels near Hong Kong park. We'd love to keep our hotel budget around $200-$225/night. For our travel dates, I found availability at the International Grand Stanford, Novotel and a few hotels near Causeway Bay. Is it preferable to stay on the Hong Kong Island side or Kowloon side?
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not the Hong Kong expert, only been there a couple of times. But I wouldn't stay in Causeway Bay. Visit it - sure, but not stay there. I'd want to be in the center of things. There are advantages to both the Hong Kong side and the Kowloon side. But the views across from Kowloon - I just really REALLY loved that. And getting back and forth across is no problem at all. Between the Star Ferry and subway you can be on either side in minutes. I rode the Star Ferry several times every day.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM

It may be difficult to keep your budget at that point in Hong Kong other than at the Salisbury. I agree - don't stay in Causeway Bay - too out of the way.

There is a newer Marriott Courtyard that is supposed to be well-located - take a look at that, as it may be closer to your price range.

There are advantages to both the Kowloon area and the Hong Kong side. I'd let the hotel you can find near your price range decide. The iconic Hong Kong view is of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon.
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 04:57 AM

Hong Kong is a relatively small place and it's fast and easy to go from one part of the city to another as long as you're close to the subway (MRT).

More important that exactly where to stay is figuring out what you'll do when traveling with kids. I'd think that a day (or long half-day) at Ngong Ping 360 would be a great idea. Also, I'd think that a kid would get a kick out of the trams that run on HK island. Overall with your itinerary, staying on the Island side probably makes a little more sense; however, access to an MRT station is the most important.

I don't think of Causeway Bay as being out-of-the-way, as the MRT station is nearby. The Inter<u>continental</u> Grand Stanford, on the other hand, is a bit of a hike to the nearest MRT station. Given your budget and need for a pool, the Salisbury YMCA might be a good choice. Main caveat is that it's in the very busiest area of a very busy city.
Old Dec 25th, 2014, 01:08 AM

I don't see how anyone would call Causeway Bay out of the way. Tonnes of popular restaurants, multiple huge malls including Times Square and Hysan Place. AND the flagship SOGO.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

We just booked our tickets and will be spending 6 days in Hong Kong. Between going to Disneyland, the beaches of Stanley or Repulse Bay and probably going to Ngong Ping 360, that should leave us 3-4 days to explore the city. Is there enough to occupy our time within the city? Does anyone have recommendations for shopping or restaurants? Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 07:45 AM

There is more than enough to occupy you for 3-4 days. I've spent a full week in Hong Kong several times and still haven't seen/done nearly all I'd like to do.

Shopping - what are you looking for? Remember that Hong Kong is a very expensive destination, no bargains here. Restaurants - endless possibilities. If you tell us what you are looking for, what kind of cuisine? price points? we can be more helpful.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 03:01 PM

<<I don't think of Causeway Bay as being out-of-the-way, as the MRT station is nearby>>
I agree

You can get really good deals through hotwire but they have a no refund policy and you don't know the name of your hotel, I use it extensively for many cities around the world and have never been disappointed, you can see from the available amenities whether or not the hotel has a swimming pool. I plugged in some dates for April and the prices are well below your budgetted figures
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, I'd love to try some of the local cuisine, esp. dim sum. We are open to all price points for meals. Maybe 1 high end meal while we are out there, as we plan to find a babysitter one night from whatever hotel we choose to stay at.
Geordie, I have also had good luck with Hotwire and Priceline and am open to using them. Just trying to narrow down the best area for us to stay in.
As far as shopping, which markets are worth checking out?
Besides the touristed areas on HK island and TST, are there islands or neighborhoods that we should check out to get a more local taste of the city?
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 05:23 PM

With Hotwire, I would look at the following primary areas:
Central & Western
Wan Chai
Causeway Bay
TST & Hung Hom

The other secondary areas would be:
Eastern & North Point - Not a bad area just a little further out of the way but certainly doable on the MTR (Subway)
Jordan - Not far from TST on Kowloon side, good for MTR
Mongkok - good for MTR but it may put you off Hong Kong as it is chaotic almost 24/7

I'm really not a market person, for clothing etc they all seem similar to me, so I would probably choose Stanley, you could also combine it with a trip to Repulse Bay for beach/swimming and later on eat out at the various restaurants in Stanley

Cheung Chau is a popular island to visit for seafood, I also enjoy visiting Tai O which is a fishing village on Lantau island which can be combined with a visit to the Big Buddha
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 04:48 AM

If having a pool is important (as mentioned in OP), I certainly wouldn't use Hotwire.
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 09:15 AM

Why not, hotwire lists the amenities including if they have a pool or not

Also a little more research and you can work out the hotel they are listing
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. We have decided to stay at the Renaissance hotel on the Harbour. A heated pool was very important to my husband and son. Works out well as I am a Marriott Gold member.
Geordie, is it easy to get to Tai O from the Big Buddha? Know that we will visit the Buddha. Does Stanley or Repulse Bay have a better beach?
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 06:56 PM

There is the #21 Bus that goes between Ngong Ping (Po Lin Monastery and Big Buddha) and Tai O. It's not that frequent, but they often run extra buses. Or it's a short 10-minute inexpensive taxi ride (<US$10), if you see a taxi as there are not too many taxis available on Lantau Island.