Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

My first trip to India in July with kids!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am obsessing about planning my trip to India this summer. I am going for a wedding in AndraPradesh on Aug 3rd, so I have to go at that time. I am nervous about the weather being too hot. I am also traveling with my husband and our two kids ages 4 and 9. I was hoping for some advice on my itinerary, so here goes:
Arrive in Delhi spend 3 nights
Drive to Agra spend 1 night
Drive to Jaipur spend 3 nights
Fly to Hyderbad -- my husbands parents have are there-- spend 4 night
One of those days in Hyderbad we want to take a flight to Tiripati and spend one night and fly back next day.
Drive to Vijiwada to attend wedding spend 4 nights there
Fly home
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM

first and foremost get an SUV with good a/c...

look at the new marriott in jaipur, it is very nice

make sure your hotels have pools for the kids..

hyatt is very nice in delhi...

do you have any hotel points?? india is a good place to use them..

you really have not asked a question?? what do you want help with??
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to know if it is a good itinerary considering the time of year? I am reading a lot of discouraging info about that time of year and it makes me want to reconsider the whole itinerary. Will we be able to sightsee and bear the heat? I am booking my tour with Castle and King, I got a lot of good feedback about them on ths site.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:36 PM

It'll be really hot and humid. Keep your daily itinerary light so you all don't get too hot. Plan to be indoors most of the afternoon. Stay only in hotels with A/C. Be flexible in case of rain.

A really important thing is to be careful what you eat. Given the heat, food spoils a lot faster. Personally I avoid any food from street vendors and Indian sweets (unless they are homemade).

The itinerary should be fine. Are you returning to Delhi to leave at the end of your trip?
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM

Hi Amesri!

"I am booking my tour with Castle and King, I got a lot of good feedback about them on ths site."

Read Christo's most recent post re: Castle and King. Maybe his experiences were rare...or maybe they weren't. Other companies are recco'd on Fodors--have you done a price comparison?

Yes, it will be VERY hot. BUt...it IS survivable. (At lesat, it was in a record breaking hot June a coule yrs ago). Take all of Rhkkmk's suggestions very much to heart:
AC EVERYWHERE, request an Innova, and only hotels with SWIMMING POOLS !! Read reviews of hotels on other sites--this is NOT the time of year to get a hotel with an "iffy" generator!

(CAPS intentional!)

IF you have good guides, they will make sure that while they are talking, they have you standing in the shade! where possible...before heat stroke sets in!!!! The good news is that many of the monuments/buildings had thick walls, were designed for cross ventilation and will be cooler inside .

In Agra, the ITC Mughal had lovely pool and gardens (not that anyone will want to run around in them in that heat).

In New Delhi, ITC Maurya also has lovely gardens, lawn, and big pool in semi-tropical settiing. An oasis away from the center--we loved it.

In Jaipur, many, many hotels of all price ranges have swimming pools. You might want to be somewhat awy from the town--somehow. more greenery makes me feel cooler, away from cacophony. BUt that is just me.

What is your budget (minus plane fares) Having a rough idea of it might help with recommendations from Fodors Folks.

As for itin--any particular reason you chose 3 nights in Del and 3 in Jaipur/ Not saying g this is not a good plan---but before further comments, how did you come to that decision? Family to visit?
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

We have a total of 2 and 1/2 to 3 weeks including travel time from NY. I figured 1 week to see the north before we head south to see family a nd attend a wedding. I chose 3 nights Delhi/ 3 nights Jaipur bc I didn't want to rush and thought that would give us some time to relax and enjoy hotel pools. As for hotels I am thinking Imperial Hotel Delhi, Oberoi Agra. Still not sure about hotels in Jaipur yet. I like the Taj Rambagh, but it is very expensive. Any thoughts on the hotels?? Do you think 3 nights too much for Delhi??
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:12 PM

The Imperial Delhi is really one of the best hotels in the capital, so you've made a good choice. Same goes with the Oberoi Agra, though it costs a pretty penny. If you can afford it, go for it. A good second choice would be the ITC Mughal as CaliNurse suggested, if you want to save up a little relatively speaking. An excellent allround hotel.

For Jaipur, among the modern chain hotels - the Holiday Inn Jaipur or the Trident Jaipur. Both excellent value for money, considerably less expensive than the Rambagh.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
peg

I stayed at the Imperial and it was lovely. I would normally say that I think three nights in Dehli is too much, but given you are coming from the States, jet lag might be a factor. Also, the fact that you really will only be able to be outside in the mornings and late afternoon. My first time to India was in May of last year, and it was really hot! I did museums in the afternoon where it was air conditioned and went outside in the morning and late afternoon. I stayed at the Trident in Jaipur, my room was nice as it was overlooking the lake, but the pool is on the side of the hotel where it is sunny in the afternoon and it was quite warm.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM

marriott jaipur
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:00 PM

Amesri, another nice thing about the ITC Mughal (also--thanks Glactus) is they have a FANTASTIC spa, great for relaxing. Google hotel name and spa. If i recall right, there is an indoor pool in it too--in case it is too hot even to use the outdoor one! Yummy breakfat buffet and wonderful restaurant there As Galctus said, it is less $$ than the Oberoi, but (although i can't compare, not having been to the Agra Oberoi) a very llvoely and comfortable hotel.

Nothing wrong with three days in Del or Japiur--i was just asking, Andyour asner makes sense.

YOu can get very , very nice hotels WITH POOL in Jaipur for less than $100/night, if you want to save some $. They might not be at level of the Imperial in New Delhi, or ITC hotels, but you can still find wonderful bright rooms that "say" "This is Rajasthan"

I stayed at Dera Rawatsar, a small hotel. Room (got the "deluxe'larger room) was gorgeous and large, bathroom big and modern, and lovely pool--although too cold in January to use it. Restaurant . Drawback: food only fair , however.

IF i were going back to Jaipur and wanted to be IN the city, i'd chose Jas Vilas--also has pool, also a smallish hotel...and gets GREAT reviews.