Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   My biggest beef with the new airport.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/my-biggest-beef-with-the-new-airport-659764/)

veracity Nov 20th, 2006 02:52 AM

My biggest beef with the new airport..

I flew threw the new airport a few times in my recent trip to Thailand.

I hate how there is no food or drink after you go through security. It's completely ridiculous. I have a nervous travel buddy who wants to go through security 2 hours a head of time and usually it's ok because we can get some food after wards.

My second beef is with Bangkok Airways. There lounge is BEFORE security. I don't know it that was always the case, but who can relax in a lounge knowing security lines these days.

Other than that the new airport is nice, despite the dearth of hotels in the area.

watts Nov 20th, 2006 07:59 AM

Did you forget to mention the long lines to check in your bags? wow. Its insane. They need to get their system done up much better.

veracity Nov 20th, 2006 08:14 AM

Yeah the line for Thai Airways to check in was ridiculous - I'm talking wrapped 4 times around going outside the terminal.

Cookiew Nov 20th, 2006 08:56 AM

So please help out an Asian traveling newbie here- I'll be arriving late at night with one checked in bag and an 8 hour layover, staying at the Novatel next to the Airport. The next AM, my plane leaves at 7:30AM to Siem Reap. Can you give me any idea how long it might take me to get out of the airport when I arrive and how long it'll take me to check in to fly Bangkok Airways the following morning? Do I really want to know...??

Craig Nov 20th, 2006 10:13 AM

We stayed at the airport hotel and took that 7:30 flight last February. Bangkok Air requests that you show up 1-1/2 hours before departure so we showed up at 6 AM - check in was pretty smooth but that was at the old airport. It could be busy upon your arrival the night before but I can't imagine it will take you more than an hour - look for the shortest line at immigration. That leaves you with 5-1/2 hours which is enough time for a shower and a few hours of solid sleep.

Cookiew Nov 20th, 2006 10:23 AM

Thanks Craig! Do you happen to remember what the "fees" are to get out of Thailand and into Cambodia? I know I have to pay for a Cambodian visa but I also pay some kind of fee to get to leave Thailand (departure tax right?) And on the way back home, I pay a departure tax both in Cambodia and then again in Thailand? I'm trying to get my cash organized too!

Craig Nov 20th, 2006 11:28 AM

Thailand's international departure tax is currently 500 Baht. Cambodia has a departure tax as well - I believe it is $10. You do not have to pay an additional fee upon arrival in Thailand but you will have to pay another departure tax when you leave for home.

dperry Nov 20th, 2006 11:40 AM

I think the departure tax for Cambodia was $20 earlier this year....

veracity Nov 20th, 2006 12:02 PM

$20 for Visa on arrival.

$25 for departure tax. They DON'T take credit cards.

merckxxx Nov 20th, 2006 02:06 PM

you flew "threw the new...airport," went to "there lounge" "a head of time." Certainly an interesting trip. Did you ever get threw high school?"

Kathie Nov 20th, 2006 03:26 PM

veracity, perhaps you were at the airport before the food outlets opened. There are lovely food outlets in the shopping areas, all of which are after security.

We landed at the airport about midnight - no lines for immigration, quick baggage retrevial. We also landed about noon when we came back from CM, again everything was quick and eficient.

MichaelBKK Nov 20th, 2006 04:24 PM

I think the poster may be talking about domestic flights. I haven't been on a domestic flight yet, but I've heard complaints that there is indeed no food to be had on the domesitic side of the concourses. The director of AmCham was in a real state about the lack of coffee. Maybe she should switch to decaf.

My only serious complaint about the new airport is the time it takes to get your bags once you land and clear customs.

OJudy Nov 20th, 2006 04:30 PM

I flew home to the US on Japan Airlines in mid-October. There were no shops or restaurants beyond the security checkpoint. We normally do some last-minute shopping and/or eating to use the last of our foreign currency. We were not able to do this at the new BKK airport -- as a result, we have a lot of leftover baht. So now I have to go to Thailand AGAIN to use up my money... Not that I'm complaining!

rhkkmk Nov 20th, 2006 10:52 PM

the new airport at bkk is fantastic....on our arrival in bkk on nov 29 we waiting about 5 minutes for our luggage....last saturday upon our return from india to bkk we waited over one hour for our luggage....the turnstile broke down twice and they had 3 flights' luggage on the one turnstile while maybe 10 others went unused.....we were told they did not have the man power to unpack the suitcases below ground....the army has been doing it heretofore...

its still a fantastic and easy to use airport

Gpanda Nov 21st, 2006 12:27 AM

We're flying into the new airportr in two days. Hopefully, our luggage won't take too long. Otherwise we'll be late to meet Kathie. Glad to see that they held Bob's luggage for a super insp[ection. Is anyone surprised.

Merckxx-this is an information exchange. Noone is held to a very high standard of spelling, diction or syntax. We'd much rather here from everyone. BTW, I was taught to condider my audience when writing. Clearly, you've elected to ignore that advice and just chime in when you feel like it. Oh, I do have a graduate degree, but often include dramatic mistakes.

Kathie Nov 21st, 2006 12:30 AM

I think the problem with the luggage is inconsistency. However, our two flights when we picked up luggage (one international, one domestic) were very quick - especially since I was expecting problems.

Ojudy are you talking about the security checkpoint just before the gates? There is a checkpoint just before each section of gates, and I don't remember food or shopping after those. But in the area after passport control and that security checkpoint there was scads of shopping and nice food outlets. Also, for any of you in need of a serious chocolate fix, you can buy Visage chocolates in the duty free area (the confectioner at Face).

veracity Nov 21st, 2006 03:03 AM

thanks for criticizing my typos. I typed that post about 2 hours after touching down from BKK.

I flew last weekend from BKK to JFK on thai Air and in the international terminal there is absolutely no food (C10 gate) after you go through security screening. There is a beautiful food court where the Burger King is that is after passport control but before the screening. Although security lines don't take that long in BKK, I don't see the point in that design.