"Must do's" in Beijing?

Feb 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

"Must do's" in Beijing?

What are the "must do's" in beijing? We have 3 full days and are hoping to make good use of them. We were thinking of spending 1 full day at the Great Wall, and staying at the Commune Kempinski hotel (any thoughts on that?). That leaves two full days around Beijing. Suggestions would be most appreciated!
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Spend some time exploring the Back Lakes area of Beijing. A lot of restaurants and bars in a lovely park-like setting. The area also includes the Bell Tower and the Drum Tower, as well as hutongs through which you can stroll for a glimpse of old Chinese life.
Feb 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM

It depends on what you're interests are. The commune is good for lovers of avant-garde architecture, but it's by the Badaling section of the wall, which is rebuilt and extremely touristy. If you are interested in modern architecture, I would stay at the commune. If you are interested in exploring the unspoiled wall, a better spot to stay is the Red Capital Ranch, which is a boutique hotel right on the wild wall. I believe they have a website.

Personally, with three days in Beijing, I probably wouldn't stay out by the wall... there are so many other things to do and see - Forbidden City, the back lakes, summer palace, shopping, eating. The Mutianyu section of the wall is a 1/2 day trip.
Feb 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM

the summer palace was by far our best visit
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Hi,Great Wall,Summer Palace,Black Lake area,Hutong tour,Summer Palace,if you stay in Beijing during Chinese New Year,dont miss the Temple fair.shopping at Silk Street or Yaxiu or Hongqiao.