Must do's around Phuket

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must do's around Phuket

Will be at the Sarojin for the first two weeks of April. Would welcome any suggestons on "must do's" in and around the area - also Phuket. We have been to Thailand before but not this side. Thank you.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:48 PM

I recommend doing a daytrip to PhangNga Bay (usually called James Bond Island tour) And a daytrip (or maybe overnight) to Phi Phi Islands.
As for Phuket: Phuket town is interesting, also Laem Phrom Thep, Patong Beach is worth checking out too (you either like it or hate it) Wat Chalong is Phuket's most impressive temple.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM

If you go to Phang Nga as suggested above try and fit in the Sea Canoe tour. Search the net, i.e. search for "Sea Canoe Phuket" and you can choose from a lot of companies.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. As always we get the best advice on this forum.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I agree with TexasSlim. Definately a trip to the Phi Phi islands and a kayak trip to PhangNga Bay. As far as Patong goes, we loved it at night. Very interesting to say the least.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM

As you are directly opposite the similian islands they will be a must do day trip either snorkling, diving or just sight seeing. They are tipped to be some of the best areas for diving snorkling etc around that coast and are pretty. Another must do is a traditional thai massage on the beach or in a spa. It is an experience not to be missed very different to standard massage. A drive into Patong township and a walk up Bangla road where all the lady boys and other girls hang out. It is just interesting to look if you have not been exposed to this before. A bit of an eye opener. Agree with the kayak trip in Phang Nga bay it is great. Maybe an elephant trek if that is what you are into. Try and find banana pancakes from a street vendor they are yummy and were safe to eat. Or just try some local food. Consider hiring a car and driver for the day for you Phuket excursions.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Hi travellinbug

The Sarojin Resort up in Khao lac is about a 40 minite drive just to reach the bridge from the mainland to the Northern tip of Phuket Island. It is a 1 hour and 10 minute drive from there to get down to the Chalong Bay area where Megumi and I have lived and worked for 10 years now and another 10 minutes to get to the Kata and 5 minutes more for the Karon township.

You could drive into Patong from the bridge in just a few minutes more then an hour using the Eastern Island road. Phuket is a lot bigger then most visitors think (570 square kilometers) and unless you have a specific location or atraction that you are looking for you could spend a lot of time just driving around trying to find things.

If you are planning to be in the area for the 13th. of April I would plan to spend it down in Phuket for the festival rather then up in Khao Lac. The "Songkran" festival or Lunar Thai New Year is the only day of the year that we close our dive and tour company office and join the day's festivities.

We locals call this festival the "National Waterfight" Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you would like to have more info about this event or info about activities and attractions availiable in Phuket.

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:40 AM

If you are up Khao lak way try a trip to the Khao Sok National park, jeep treks, canoes, mountain biking, up around Kuraburi.