Street foods in Hanoi?

Search

Street foods in Hanoi?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street foods in Hanoi?

Hi! I heard many about Vietnamese's cuisine and Vietnamese's food is very delicious. As you know Pho is very famous, many people said Pho in Hanoi is the best. I want to get there and tasting Pho and other foods in Hanoi. I've read some newspaper that list Hanoi is one of the best of 10 places to eat street foods. So i create this topic to ask and discuss Hanoi street food is good? and need some reviews from people who tasted street food there.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 02:54 PM

The Hanoi Cooking Center runs tours devoted to the markets and street food. It opens a window into Vietnamese culture, where eating celebrates the country's nature. Not for those who insist on knowing exactly what they are putting in their mouths, though. Better to think about tastes rather than ingredients. The school also offers hands-on workshops, as do a number of other tourist operations. Cooking classes are cheap compared to North America and Europe and full of insights into the people as well as what they eat. http://hanoicookingcentre.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM

windsoul: street food in Hanoi is great but you need a strong stomach and be brave to sit down on a small plastic chair along the pavements. Some people react not good with street food or the way Vietnamese food is cooked (like my mother in law).
So if it is the first time you are in Asia, I may recommend you to take it easy, try the clean looking restaurants first before going out on the streets.
Pho in Hanoi is the best, though you need to remind the seller not to put in MSG. Other than that, there are many types of Bun (round noodles).

There are several places that you should try for a Vietnamese flavors is highway4, Ngon restaurant, Pho at 49 Bat Dan st. As far as I know, Hanoians has a list of where to eat what and most the places have some sort of story connected to it.

When you will be in Hanoi? I am planning for the trip next year, so excited!!!!
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

catladyva: Thank you very much! It's not safe for man who overweight to sit on a plastic chair. I see many photos of Hanoi and have many vendors near the street and look the food is good but it's not clean right? I see many people love Pho and Bun Cha so much so i must taste them. Do you know any where to eat Bun Cha?
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thnk you for your kindness Phuong Nguyen. Should i book for a street food tour operator or looking for myself. I try to search via google i found some operator.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 01:19 AM

We did a "food on Foot" tour with Vietnam Awesome travel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attrac...urs-Hanoi.html

We did this the first night to get an idea of all the food and then we felt confident to go out on our own and eat. I am not an adventurous eater but hubby will eat anything. Hubby ate a strange assortment of food including a duck egg embryo on one street corner. The tour did not push you to eat anything. I LOVED the food. I found sitting at the little tables on tiny stools fun and an adventure. It was great having a local explain what we were eating.

I have a delicate stomach and didn't get sick. Hubby felt queasy for a couple of hours one day but it didn't stop us doing anything.

On this tour I had the best spring rolls EVER.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 03:07 AM

I have an iron gut usually, but I get sick nearly every time I go to VN and eat the street food. But I DO eat the street food - ngon lam! Odds are you will be fine and you are correct that it is very good. We live in Thailand where the street food is safe and amazing - eat it all the time. VN is good as well, but getting sick is a bit more likely...
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:01 PM

Bun Cha i used to eat in Hanoi are in Hang Buom Street and Mai Anh Bun Cha in 47 Xuan Dieu. This place is the best bun cha I’ve found that is local to me. You may easily found some more in the street by the smell of charcoal grilled meat. The vendors i ate also offer Nem (Spring Rolls). I hope you're going to enjoy it as i am.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:09 PM

4 words. Cha Ca La Vong. Google it. Go there. Best food you'll ever eat. 6 years later and we're still talking about it.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Best eating experience we had in Hanoi. So good that I ate there 3 times! This is a hidden gem in the Old City.

Bun Bo Nam Bo: 67 Hang Deur Street - typical Hanoian 'ambience'This eating hole is a long, deep narrow one, smeared stainless steel tables and wooden benches to sit at and carpets of discarded banana leaves to kick at underfoot.....the few moments for your bursting bat (bowl) of Asian flavour. Here's the drum from the bottom up: a decent fistful of lettuce and herbs, the essential noodles, a scoop of beef and bean shoots sauteed with garlic, and the one, two, three of crushed nuts, dried shallots and thinly sliced triangled pickles of young papaya and carrot. A ladle of warm, sweet sauce is tipped over to finish this fine noodle nosh off. (great reviews on various sites) “Cheap, delicious”

Filmwill - your Cha Ca La Vong restaurant - is that the one where you cook your own fish at the table with tons of herbs? If so, we did eat there and while it was an interesting experience, it was not our favorite restaurant.