Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Mumbai for half a day, What would be a must see (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/mumbai-for-half-a-day-what-would-be-a-must-see-518567/)

Kiwi_acct Apr 4th, 2005 07:49 PM

Mumbai for half a day, What would be a must see

I am in India (Mumbai) next month on my first visit to the country. It is a business trip and I am a little limited time wise. In fact I only have a half day on a weekday to actually get out and see any of the city.

In realising that this is woefully too short a time I am asking fodorites what, in their opinion, would be a site not to miss in the city.

I will be staying in the Bandra (West) district of the city.

Also a couple of hints on tipping would not go a miss. What do you tip your driver who has brought you in from the airport and if I hire a cab for half a day what would the normal charge and tip be?

Cheers

Steve

agtoau Apr 4th, 2005 08:17 PM

Let me address the tipping part first. For the driver who brings you from the airport to Bandra, a 75 - 100 rupees tip (about 1.5 to 2.5 USD) tip is more than enough. For half a day's worth of driving, I would go with 100 - 150 rupees ( 1 USD = 43 INR). Whatever you decide to give, don't dither; assume an air of courteous finality.

Are you staying at Taj Land's End in Bandra?

Tangata Apr 4th, 2005 08:30 PM

If you are at the Taj Lands End, which is a lovely hotel, you are quite a long way from everything.

With only half a day I would suggest Crawford Market, which is interesting if you haven’t seen an Asian market before and the Gateway to India area.

Just driving through the streets would be an experience. Agtoau suggested a tip for an afternoon’s drive with which I agree, I would expect a car to cost around 700 Rps for an afternoon – we pay about 1,100 Rp a day for a car and driver, but that is for a relatively long term hire.

The taxis are not very good! Old and generally not air conditioned, you are probably better off getting a car through the hotel. (I think you’ll agree once you see the old taxis. There are smaller newer air conditioned taxis, but they can be difficult to get.)

I’ll be in Bombay next month, if you would like to meet a fellow Kiwi for a drink email me at [email protected]

Kiwi_acct Apr 4th, 2005 09:22 PM

Well spotted guys,

Yes I will be staying at the Taj Lands End. I take it that this is one of only a few decent hotels in the district?

Pity it is miles from everything, but since it is a business trip I suppose I should focus on that. (Darn, have to keep the boss happy).

The tip about the market is quite good. I suppose I can pick up a few things for the folks at home as well. The only major market I have been in (well of sorts) is the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. Is it similar?

I will drop you a line Tangata and see if we are in the city at the same time.

Cheers

Steve

agtoau Apr 4th, 2005 10:49 PM

The lovely JW Marriott hotel in Juhu is not too far from Bandra. There is also a slew of luxury hotels near the airport.

hobbes Apr 4th, 2005 11:17 PM

Where are you going to be working? If the same side of town as you are staying I would think about whether for half a day you venture to South Mumbai i.e. Crawford Market, etc. Also, rush hour coming from town towards the suburbs is evening time and the 20 km commute can take you 1-1.5 hours at that time. The suburbs i.e. Bandra side has some lovely stuff and you will IMO be better off not spending a great part of your half day commuting. Go to Mount Mary church in Bandra, lovely in a great setting. Walk around the old part of Bandra which still has small 1 storey houses akin to Goa. Go to Olive Bar for a drink pre or post dinner and see Bombay's beautiful people partying. For your shopping wander around Linkng Road on Bombay - while it does not have as much unique charm as Crawford Market it is still an experience and I am sure you will find some gifts for back home. You can easily get an a/c taxi by calling 2490 5151. This is a booking service for a/c taxis - Rs. 400 for 4 hours and Rs 800 for 8 hours, likely to be much cheaper than a hotel car. Esle pick up a card for the COOL CAB service when you land at the intl airport.

Tangata Apr 4th, 2005 11:37 PM

No it is not like the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, it is more of a produce market.

The shops behind the Taj Hotel (the Bombay Taj not the Lands End) are good for souvenirs, but bargain like mad.

You won’t be disappointed with your hotel, nice rooms, nice bar. Unfortunately we now stay at the Holiday Inn.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kiwi_acct Apr 4th, 2005 11:51 PM

Thanks for the pointers guys,

I will certainly take on board the rush hour traffic and timings thereof. I am not a huge fan of being stuck in traffic. I get enough of that at home. Ha ha. Though I will be travelling in the middle of the day so hopefully I will avoid the worst.

I will be based in Bandra for both work and the hotel so pretty much that is where I shall be.

Hobbes thanks for the pointers on cabs. Those prices are excellent especially if it is airconditioned as well. The phone number is useful. I will have my mobile with me so no problem getting hold of them.

I will print off this thread then use you pointers as a bit of a guide.

Cheers

Steve

Kiwi_acct May 7th, 2005 04:42 AM

Quick note to say thanks for the advice on Mumbai/Bombay that I received on here.

I managed to squeeze in a fair bit of siteseeing during my work trip. Made it as far as the Gateway to India and many points in between.

Brilliant city certainly not for the faint hearted though. Brings new meaning to the word poverty.

Taj Lands End was excellent would recommend it to anyone.

Cool cabs were very good. Thanks for the number guys. Good cab, aircon (Needed as it was 35 degrees), pleasant driver. Saw a lot of things as well. 750 rupees inluding incidentals and tip for 4.5 hours. I thought it was good value. We travelled extra kilometres outside the initial quote so it was all fair in long run.

Word of advice to travellers to Mumbai. In the black cabs watch your driver does not try to rip you off. One tried to charge me 200 rupees for a trip that was actually 60. I am a bit of a hard B******d so he certainly did not get away with it. Just pay what you think is correct (Ask you concierge/doorman/reception for guidance) hand it over and walk away.

Cannot wait to get back for a longer stay and really explore the place.

Cheers

Steve