Mumbai 101

Mar 4th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Mumbai 101

Hi All
Those of you who read my post on Shanghai ... ditto Mumbai, only I have three days to see everything ... 26 - 28 April.
Staying at the Taj Palace ( history, location .....) Never been to India before etc etc ( I have been to plenty of other places !!!!!)
So what should I NOT MISS given the short time I have there.
PS I am single F 45 and can walk fast and far but its going to be hot in India in late April so I might have to hire a car and driver.

Liesel
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:26 AM

Mumbai is more of a sensory and culinary experience...

I always recommend Ban Ganga which would be about a 10-20 minute taxi ride from the Taj Palace. It is a sacred tank surrounded by four 100-year old temples and modern skyscrapers. Then there is the Gateway of India, which is where the Taj Palace is located. If you can take a few hours, you must visit the Elephanta Caves: These ancient caves situated on an island just 9 kms, adrift of the Mumbai harbour in the Arabian Sea, are marvels by themselves. Carved from the rock face, these caves are an ideal tribute to the Maurya Dynasty that ruled there.
Haji Ali: Around the corner from Mahalakshmi is this beautiful mausoleum situated at the culmination of a causeway jutting out into the Arabian Sea. This is the tombstone of the famous Muslim saint Haji Ali. The mosque can be reached only at low tide.
SAAT RASTA DHOBI GHAT : These "laundries" called 'ghats' - row upon row of concrete wash pens, each filled with its own flogging stone -- are where many of Mumbai's citizens get their linen cleaned. One could actually see one's own 'dirty laundry being aired!
MANI BHAVAN : Is the old Mumbai residence of Mahatma Gandhi and has been transformed into a museum housing a reference library with over 2,000 books and other memorabilia.
KANHERI CAVES : These are glorious examples of rock-cut Buddhist architecture found in the ancient caves that are a marvel by themselves
MADH ISLAND: A popular beach resort/area, an ideal getaway but may be a bit too far from your hotel given the time constraints.
MOUNT MARY CHURCH : One of the most prominent and splendid churches in Mumbai, it is home to where the revered Madonna of Mount Mary stands. Large crowds comprising not just Catholics but people from all communities come here to pay obeisance.
MAHALAKSHMI TEMPLE : This temple is situated very close to the sea off Mahalakshmi. This temple has three beautiful images of Hindu goddesses, Mahalakshmi, Mahasaraswati and Mahakali, which are made of gold.
SIDDHIVINAYAK TEMPLE : A few kms away from the Nehru Planetarium and Science Center, is this splendid temple of Lord Ganpati or Siddhivinayak, made of white marble. People come here from all over Mumbai and other parts of the state to worship. Tuesday is considered the most auspicious day of the week to visit this temple, and one can often see long serpentine queues form outside the temple from the wee hours of the morning.

The famous Morimoto has a restaurant at the Taj Palace which is to die for!!! If you want to see where the Bollywood stars and the film industry types hang out, head to Bandra - Olive is a popular destination.
For local seafare you must visit Mahesh Lunch Home....also right behind the TAJ is Bade Miyas...a street vendor who sets up shop at night and has the best kabobs, tikkas etc. People from all over Mumbai head here for a late night meal. Yes, a prerequirement would be an iron cast stomach!
Enjoy Mumbai!!

Mar 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Best bet would be to take one of those city tours that take you around. Thus you would have seen most of the city...

Since you are in the Taj, you could try the Indigo at night. Take a trip to Elephanta Caves or Alibagh one of these days...Best way to see Mumbai is take a walk along Marine Lines from your hotel to Oberoi. Good luck!

Search this Thread