I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Zero B Customer Care Service Center Number
- 2 Vietnam in June end: Sapa vs Hanoi / ha long bay
- 3 Honeymoon - Malaysia and Bali
- 4 Spa Bangkok
- 5 Mini Amazon Forest- Taman Negara- Pahang
- 6 Sapa - current conditions due to typhoon
- 7 Internet in SE Asia
- 8 A trip to Mahabaleshwar (India)
- 9 Bhutan paro Tshechu
- 10 Please help me to start planning a trip to Bhutan
- 11 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 12 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 13 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia
- 14 best way to travel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 15 cooking school in Chiang Mai?
- 16 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 17 need your help with japan itinerary
- 18 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 19 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 20 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 21 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 22 Hotel in Vang Vieng
- 23 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 24 4 DAYS in KERALA...
- 25 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan