Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Mr and Mrs Bluebell Thai The Knot (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/mr-and-mrs-bluebell-thai-the-knot-632404/)

Bella_Bluebell Jul 19th, 2006 10:53 PM

Mr and Mrs Bluebell Thai The Knot

Hello - we leave tomorrow, yippee!! I will post updates as we go along on fodors on this thread and probably ask lots of questions too :)

I've also set up a Yahoo Trip Journal too:

http://travel.yahoo.com/trip?pid=733...on=viewjournal

Nothing in the trip journal yet but our schedule is up there. I'll post on that too as we go along.

BB

JamesA Jul 19th, 2006 10:57 PM

Congratulations ! Looking forward to see the photos!

Gpanda Jul 20th, 2006 04:10 AM

BB-You will have an unbelievable time. I'm sure Thailand will be beyond your wildest expectations.

Kathie Jul 20th, 2006 05:51 AM

We await your reports!

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2006 06:05 AM

don't forget to forward the gifts to each of us as participants in your wedding!!

anxious to read all the details as they happen...

bob

cruisinred Jul 20th, 2006 06:53 AM

Have a wonderful time! Just remember to slow down and breath deeply so you can remember every moment of your wonderful wedding day.

We eagerly await a full report.

Cruisinred

Guenmai Jul 20th, 2006 06:53 AM

We're all waiting for a glass of champagne! Happy Travels!

Craig Jul 20th, 2006 07:16 AM

The gifts and champagne would be nice but I'm really looking forward to your report.

glorialf Jul 20th, 2006 09:30 AM

You have a fabulous trip and wedding planned. Enjoy every second of it. And please say hi to Opas when you are at Baan Orapin.

offwego Jul 20th, 2006 12:00 PM

Give Tong a kiss!

hawaiiantraveler Jul 20th, 2006 12:13 PM

Schedule looks great. Now go have some fun!

Aloha!

laurieco Jul 20th, 2006 12:42 PM

Congrats, best of luck and ENJOY! ((D))

Peteralan Jul 20th, 2006 10:34 PM

All the best for your holiday and your marriage! We leave for Thailand tomorrow as well!

Bella_Bluebell Jul 22nd, 2006 07:12 PM

Hello - we are here! Arrived at the Marriott last night after fantastic flight in Eva Air's premium economy (fantastic because our 2 year old, Isabella - slept for 10 out of the 11 hours of our flight!). Got to the Marriott last night which we are really enjoying - Isabella especially. Bella and I slept last night from 10pm until 6am so seem to have escaped jetlag but John was awake half the night and now v grumpy!

I am about to go out with Tong for my wedding dress fitting! very exciting!

Will post more later - on Marriott's super expensive internet. Does anyone know nearest internet shop to here and also cheap laundry place?

thanks,
BB

rhkkmk Jul 22nd, 2006 07:18 PM

bella---go out the driveway to the end at the street....turn right and walk 1-2 blocks and there is a small sign saying internet over the door....25 B per hour...good computers too ....watch for all the shoes on the side walk and you will know you are there....i go there all the time...

glad bella like the pool, etc....has she seen all the elephants near to the breakfast restaurant yet??? have her pick her favorite.....also the elephant head on the second floor not far from the lobby....watch for salamanders crawling from its head at nite....great fun for a kid....also the big animal that hangs in the bushes near the bridge going to the building where benni hana is located....he hides in the bushes...

enjoy!!

bob

KimJapan Jul 22nd, 2006 11:10 PM

Glad to hear you are off to a good start. Enjoy!

Bella_Bluebell Jul 26th, 2006 08:51 PM

I'm not doing very well at this post as you go thing! We were incredibly busy in Bangkok - wedding dress fittings, taking our families out on tour with Tong, various legal marriage requirements - going to the British Embassy etc to swear affirmations. It was all quite manic. I was out a lot but our families did really enjoy the Marriott - I am going to get them to give me reasons etc why to tell you all when I do a proper trip report when we get back (don't worry Bob - am taking LOTS of notes but just not finding time to sit down at a computer!). For me, as I was running about so much around Bangkok, I didn't get to appreciate the Marriott pool and facilities that much. As has been mentioned before, the food is not that great compared to what you can get elsewhere in Bangkok and it is much more pricey but the food is fair. Having said that, both sets of parents enjoyed their meals. Next stay in Bangkok, we are in the Oriental but John's parents are in the Marriott before going off to Kanchanaburi.

We flew to Chiang Mai yesterday. We are staying at Baan Orapin which is GORGEOUS - I love it here. It reminds me of the ambience of the Honeymoon Guesthouse in Ubud - not particularly in how it looks but more in the fact that you are staying on a family compound and the personal service from Opas and his family is excellent. Our room is fab too in a beautiful garden setting. My in-laws to be are staying in the Oriental Dhara Devi so we are just off now to see them and have a look around. More later...and thank you all for you good wishes :)

BB

glorialf Jul 27th, 2006 05:03 AM

BB- please send my love to Opas. Tell him I won't be in thailand this year but will hopefully be back in 07 and will certainly stay there again. Curious to how you liked the Dhara Devi. It reminded me of Disneland -- way too over the top for me but the restaurant was nice. I didn't stay there -- just went to visit.

Bella_Bluebell Jul 28th, 2006 05:50 AM

Hi Gloria - am sitting in Opas' front room now on the computer! I love it here - but we are moving to Yaang Come tomorrow. Am hoping we don't regret it but I feel we may. I also really like the area the place is in - lovely interiors shops and lots of restaurants and short walk into town over the footbridge. But of course you know all that! I will of course say hello to Opas for you - he is out of the room at the moment but was here just a second ago! Dhara Devi - I know what you mean, aesthetically well designed but strange and unreal. The pool area reminded me of the infinity pools in the large spa resorts around Ubud overlooking the paddy fields and river gorge but the rice paddies and river gorges there are real and these are not. The staff was lovely (especially to my two year old) and my in-laws villa was beautiful. But I am happier here. I think I would rather spend my money on a nice hotel in Bangkok, I don't think it is necessary in Chiang Mai.

Today we went on a tour that I booked with Sergeant Kai. When I booked we asked for him personally but sadly we had one of his employees guiding us. He was very nice but I was disappointed having been told Sergeant Kai himself was guiding us. No explanation was given and I didn't want to cause a fuss as it is not the employee's fault. He himself was very nice - his name is Sutee (I may not be spelling that correctly). I have read that this happened to someone else before so had made a big thing about this in our original email. I will follow it up when I get a chance. The tour we took could have been taken with other companies, some of them cheaper so was a little bit peeved not to have had the guide we booked as he is so highly recommended. Nevermind :)

BB

rhkkmk Jul 28th, 2006 06:22 AM

BB---I CAN UNDERSTAND HOW THAT WOULD MAKE ...sorry caps...you mad....this same kind of thing has happened with ratt in the past....i think that they honestly do not see it as an issue from their business point of view...but we ceratinly do....

it it were me, i would give him a phone call just to remind him of your original request...