Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Mountain getaway in Indonesia for simple honeymoon

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indonesia has some great beaches, but can anyone recommend a quaint simple mountain getaway that isn't overly expensive? A bed & breakfast type thing would work too. My fiance is Indonesian and has already seen most of the Indonesian wonders and touristy stuff, so we were hoping to find a good place just to chilax for a week where the weather isn't super hot, preferably not terribly close to any big cities.

I saw that the Losari coffee plantation in Java looked very nice, but was fairly expensive on an Indonesian budget.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Blessings to all
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM

The Losari was the first place I thought of, but it is pricey. There are a number of interesting places in Eastern Java that would fit the bill. Do you have a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide? I have been reading about central and eastern java for an upcoming trip, and stumbled across several places that would seem like what you are looking for. If you don't have it or can't find a copy, I'll try to locate the ones that sounded good.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Dear Kathie, thanks for the tip. I don't have the guide, but I have a friend that does. I will ask to borrow it, but if anything sticks out to you, let me know! Thanks so much!
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Ok, I couldn't resist looking again. In central Java, just 25 km north of Yogyakarta is Kaliurang, a hill station at 900 m, so cool and refreshing. There is a renowned museum there. (which is why I marked it in my book) The accommodations sound basic, but the best of the lot appears to be Hotel Kano.

In Eastern Java, outside of Malang is the Kebun Wonosari Tea Estate. The LP calls it an "agrotourism venture" but says it has nice rooms in a gorgeous setting, and the prices appear to span a broad budget range. It's worth looking into. Batu also has a number of places to stay.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM

If you are open to being in Bali there are lots of simple losmen or small boutique hotels in places like Sanda and Munduk where the weather is beautifully fresh and slightly chilly.

In Malang I love the Tugu..
http://www.tuguhotels.com/malang/ind...80&Height=1024
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM

kuluk, I will soon have questions for you about Malang, The Tugu looks fabulous, but pricier than the OP would like.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! One other place that has come up is Salatiga, which seems to be less well known, but like a nice smaller city with lots to offer in the surrounding areas. Any thoughts on Salatiga?
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM

I've just spent some time searching for information on Salatiga. I can't even find it in the Lonely Planet. Online, there are lots of hits, but with little information about what might be in the area that is worth seeing. One site calls it a city of students and retirees. It is home to 4 private universities. It's at 600 m. altitude, so won't be as cool as some of the other places I found. There appear to be a couple of nice places to stay - I found that www.agoda.com lists 4 or 5 options.

Do let us know what you decide!
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Nick, What's your ideal budget? I see that Losari has changed ownership. It's now Mesa Stila. Have you called them to see what they would offer?

Salatiga is one of the market towns that you pass through on your way from Semarang to Solo or Yogya. I wouldn't consider it a honeymoon destination.

I think you have to remember that Central Java has a population of over 30 million and in order to get away you have to really get away. The problem is that tourism in the remote areas of Java isn't well developed, so places that are both scenic and charming (and cheap) are rare.

You might look at Bromo, like Java Banana, or one of the places around Ijen. Malang is a nice small town, but I wouldn't call it a "mountain getaway."

I know you said mountain, not beach, but Kura Kura, on an island north of Semarang looks lovely. (I haven't been there though, so can't comment further.),

Personally, I'd suggest getting cheap tickets to Bali. There are a lot more choices of romantic and beautiful places tucked away in the countryside, across the price spectrum.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM

This isn't the mountains, but we just stayed at cubadak paradiso village in Sumatra, south of Padang. It's an all inclusive, very small resort on on island. There is even a very pretty honeymoon cottage out on the water. It is European owned, the food is family style, the beach is pretty, the water is clean and clear. Not sure if it meets your price range, but since it does include your meals, perhaps it would suit.