Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Most Reliable Airlines Bali to Lombok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/most-reliable-airlines-bali-to-lombok-876313/)

seeksocean Feb 2nd, 2011 03:45 PM

Most Reliable Airlines Bali to Lombok?

Booking a December three night trip and our hotel suggested Lion Airlines. Has anyone ever had experience with them? Is there an airline that stands out as the most reliable? Thanks!

MichaelBKK Feb 2nd, 2011 07:51 PM

There actually aren't that many options, and it is a very short flight. Anything but Merpati will probably do. I usually go with Garuda, and then Wings/Lion as my second choice.

seeksocean Feb 3rd, 2011 07:06 AM

Thanks! In my experience, booking this far in the future (we go in early December) usually has good things (cheap) and bad things (always changes in schedule) about it. So, we usually pick mid morning flights/early afternoon flights on either side of our journey, so we hopefully don't get stuck. I'll look at Garuda first.

seeksocean Feb 3rd, 2011 07:11 AM

In looking at the Garuda Airlines schedule from Denpasar, what is the name of the airport that I am going to on their scroll down menu.

marmot Feb 3rd, 2011 03:54 PM

Lombok airport is Mataram (AMI). I couldn't find it on Garuda's menu either, so now I'm curious. . .

seeksocean Feb 3rd, 2011 04:43 PM

That's what I was wondering about. I's super cheap on Lion RT. Around $70 USD RT.

alec_o Feb 5th, 2011 02:59 AM

We had an experience with Lion/Wings airlines in november 2010. From Denpasar to Flores. I can rate them very-very highly. New planes, nice staff.

Just a few weeks ago we have seen from the Jimbaran beach a Garuda plane (they are easily recognizable from the ground because of their blue tails) which took off made and immediately made a turn for landing. Emergency landing I suppose.

seeksocean Feb 8th, 2011 07:15 AM

I tried to book with my USA credit card directly online with Lion Air, but it would not except it. I hate using third party internet sources, because when there is a change of schedule you cannot communicate directly with the airline. Any suggestions on booking Lion Air?

Kathie Feb 8th, 2011 07:25 AM

Where are you staying in Lombok? A couple of people here had their Lombok hotel (Qunci Villas) book their flights for them and pay them when they got there.

seeksocean Feb 8th, 2011 07:21 PM

We are staying there. I am looking into www.travelindo.com for buying our tickets now. Qunci can do it one month before the flight.

seeksocean Feb 9th, 2011 06:14 AM

We booked through Travelindo. They were polite and easy to work with and didn't charge us more than the Paypal 3.5%. I double checked on Lion Air's website and there we were! Because we are booking many months in advance, I'll have to keep on checking for the inevitable schedule changes.

Kathie Feb 9th, 2011 06:50 AM

Great! I'm glad you were able to book the tickets.

We loved Qunci Villas, and everyone we've recommended it to has loved it too. Enjoy!