Money Transfer to Santa Maria

Jul 30th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Money Transfer to Santa Maria

We have finally reached the stage of sending deposits for our travel arranged by Santa Maria. I am curious as to the note on the info they sent cautioning us not to mention Yangon, Burma etc on the bank transfer due to economic sanctions by the US.
I thought the US had lifted sanctions? Am I wrong? Again just wondering about this, not concerned.
Jul 30th, 2013, 05:56 AM

Interesting!
Jul 30th, 2013, 06:12 AM

As far as I know, the sanctions have been lifted. My guess is that either SM has not updated their standard boilerplate info on money transfers or they may not know that the sanctions have been lifted.
Jul 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM

I think there are portions of the sanctions that have not yet been lifted. I believe that some of the banking sanctions are still in effect.
Jul 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM

The sanctions still in effect are against those entities (banks, etc.) that are affiliated with the Military, I believe...
Jul 31st, 2013, 01:53 PM

Kathie is correct. Not all the sanctions have been lifted; It seems doubtful that Santa Maria wouldn't know if they could be paid directly, but you can go to the U.S. site to check out which sanctions are still extant--or call the Myanmar consulate in New York or the Embassy in D.C.
Jul 31st, 2013, 02:57 PM

520 - the US site is vague and as with all things in Myanmar, things are not clear even to those that are doing business there, thus they err on the side of caution. Do you really think that calling the Myanmar consulate will result in an answer that would be viable? You have been there I think, so you understand how things work...