Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Money for Laos/Cambodia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/money-for-laos-cambodia-920021/)

ellstah Jan 16th, 2012 09:17 PM

Money for Laos/Cambodia

Hi, I may be crossing into Laos/Cambodia overland, and am wondering if I should exchange some money for kip/riel prior to departing for Asia--wasn't sure whether I'd have a chance to exchange at any point once I'm in the country.

I figured if I were flying into either the Siem Reap/Phnom Penh or Vientiane airports they'd probably have places at the airport to exchange money, but was wondering what was more advantageous as far as logistics and such.

silverwool Jan 16th, 2012 09:57 PM

I suspect you would not be able to get kip or riel outside the country. In Cambodia you will use US dollars for everything except very small purchases on the street. I've crossed into Laos from Thailand at Huay Xei and there was an ATM about 50 metres from the mekong. The airports in Cambodia both have ATM machines. I've flown into Vientiane on an internal flight so did not need to exchange money but I suspect there would be an ATM machine at the airport.

Do a bit of research on border crossings into Cambodia as there are a few scams about. (especially from Thailand)

Kathie Jan 17th, 2012 05:36 AM

No you cannot get kip or riel outside of Cambodia or Laos. Indeed, both currencies are worthless outside those countries (and very nearly worthless inside!). Take clean, crisp, US dollars for when you can't find an ATM. ATMs in Cambodia dispense dollars, as that is the currency used to pay for hotels, your temples pass, guides, car and driver and such.

In fact, getting foreign currencies before you leave the US is very expensive... the worst exchange rate you'll find anywhere. You can always exchange dollars for the local currency if you cannot find an ATM.

Take a look at www.talesofasia.com for info on overland travel in this area and warnings about scams.

Vientianeboy Jan 20th, 2012 08:33 PM

"(and very nearly worthless inside!)
What an idiotic comment! The kip has been stable for about 8 years now. Look at the USD slide against the Kip. By the way, Lao's growth rate is significantly higher than that of the US.

To the op. Change your money here in Lao. You can exchange Kip at some places in Thailand, but it is easier to do it here.

crellston Jan 20th, 2012 11:32 PM

The forex rate for the kip is around 8000 to the USD which makes one kip worth around 0.0125 cent - most people would class that as worthless, which I guess is the point Kathie was making.

BTW Vientianeboy, referring to somebody as "idiotic" is offensive and has no place in these forums.

Hanuman Jan 21st, 2012 06:44 AM

Kathie is right. You will find it very hard to exchange those currencies outside of S.E. Asia, both buying and selling. Best exchanging them in the country they belong to and use them up before leaving. You can also use credit cards and only exchange a small amount of local currency.

Vientianeboy Jan 21st, 2012 05:20 PM

"BTW Vientianeboy, referring to somebody as "idiotic" is offensive"
Crellston, read what I posted. I said her comment was idiotic.
Personally I also found it offensive.

Kathie Jan 21st, 2012 06:31 PM

Heavens! I had no idea my off-hand comment would stir up a hornet's nest. I meant no offense, I was referring to the dollar value of a kip. The joke used to be that you should save any kip you had left over, as it gets cold in the hill country, and you can always burn them for heat.

I'm sorry you found my comment offensive, VB, I meant no offense.

Vientianeboy Jan 21st, 2012 09:22 PM

OK. Perhaps I overreacted. It is the USD that has devalued against the Kip by more than 20% since I have been living here. Lao's Growth rate is about 7.5% pa. The country is not doing that badly

khunwilko Jan 25th, 2012 10:22 PM

You will find that the US dollar and Thai baht are accepted in many places as well as the kip. However it is up to you to negotiate hthe rate. I have found that most people will accept the daily rate published o the internet.

I would advise against accepting the rates on hotel desks etc. as they are usually no good.

khunwilko Jan 25th, 2012 10:24 PM

BTW - my experience is in Vientiane and up to Luang Prabang.

Vientianeboy Jan 29th, 2012 06:50 PM

khunwilko, even if places accept Baht and USD, official Govt policy is to use the Kip, for a variety of reasons. It is not difficult to exchange your Baht or $ for Kip.

ellstah Jan 30th, 2012 08:39 PM

So it sounds like my best bet is to get both currencies once I land in the Phnom Penh/Siem Reap airport then?

silverwool Jan 30th, 2012 10:46 PM

You won't be able to get kip in Cambodia. Just get US dollars there or take them with you.

lcuy Jan 30th, 2012 10:46 PM

NO. Kip are not sold in Cambodia, only in Lao.

You'll use dollars in Cambodia. You can trade $$ for Riel at a moneychanger or bank, but don't expect to get them from an ATM.

Eric2012 Jan 31st, 2012 01:36 AM

It is depend on what kind of ATM are you using. For ANZ Royal ATM, ACLEDA ATM, CANADIA ATM and some more can drawing the money with Riel and USD. Another thing is for the CANADIA ATM you can withdrawing the money without surcharge. Most many ATM will do up to USD4 per transaction.