Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Money exchage in Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/money-exchage-in-bali-748787/)

cjszytel Nov 15th, 2007 10:18 AM

Money exchage in Bali

Anyone- I will be in Bali next week and have heard conflicting opinions on the money thing. Some say, use new American dollars, some say exchange into their currency. Which?
cj

Craig Nov 15th, 2007 10:52 AM

The Balinese prefer to deal in their own currency - there are numerous ATM's in Ubud and the coastal tourist areas which dispense Indonesian Rupiahs. Some of the better hotels and other upscale places may quote prices in US dollars - those types of places typically accept credit cards as well.

BeniciaChris Nov 15th, 2007 01:16 PM

I was just in Bali about a month ago-wish I were still there. When we were there the exchange was about 9,000. Rupie to the dollar. There were plenty of ATM machines but we seemed to have to go every few days because the exchane rate was so high & the machines were set up for getting 1 million or 2 million rupia per transaction.
If you need any info or help you can contact me [email protected]
Chris

Neil_Oz Nov 15th, 2007 02:24 PM

I don't know why anyone would advise you to use American dollars, new or otherwise.

We arrived with a small sum in US$ because we'd only ever seen the visa-on-arrival fee quoted that way (in the event AU$ cash or CC would have been OK). Next morning we found an ATM and used INR or CC for the rest of the trip.

Unless there's a very good reason not to, using the local currency has always seemed to me the polite thing to do when visiting another country, not to mention the most practical.

MichaelBKK Nov 15th, 2007 03:31 PM

There are money changers every few feet in Bali, so you'll have no trouble changing US$ or otherwise to Rupiah. However, the money changers DO insist on new US notes, and remember you get your best rate on $100 bills.

christycruz Nov 29th, 2007 11:40 AM

A friend who lives in Bali says that the banks are very finicky about the newness and crispness of the USD bills they will accept. He has had them reject USD if it even has a billfold. Apparently this is because of the number of counterfeiters in Asia.

As a result, there are many people in Asia desperate to trade their folded $5 bill for your newer one. Most of them are probably honest. Some are definitely shady. We helped out our hotel lady with a $5.

Based on this, I wouldn't try to use USD in Bali.

BTW, because of the low quantity max on ATM's I once used two in quick succession. The bank shut down my card, even though they knew I was in Bali. Eek. Took a day to straighten out.

Mitch04 Nov 29th, 2007 01:08 PM

I always use the larger money changers in Bali as opposed to the small ones, which often offer a better rate. Friend of mine who is very meticulous, once change $300, watched as the money was counted and walked away with his Rupiahs. When he got back to his hotel it transpired he had been short changed by $100. The larger ones (such as the one at Five Ways in Kuta) may not offer the best rate, but they are honest.

Cilla_Tey Nov 29th, 2007 01:52 PM

From memory USD before year 2000 are not accepted. I was there in July this year.

JohnFitz Nov 30th, 2007 02:17 AM

I endorse the advice about using money changers .Always use your own calculator , work out what you are due to recive, watch them , count and recount.Don't be distracted by chatter at you when they are counting out the money .Then you ought to be fine .Also the higher the denomination of note you are changing the better the rate .The stories of being cheated are legion.It has been tried on me many times but happily I am on to it .

nuttakorn_r Nov 30th, 2007 10:19 AM

In Bali, you can use it both for USD and RP (Local Currency), local people will convert it for you. But if you would like to save more, you should make the money exchange at the local bank and use for buying stuff, you will save on that.