Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Monet il Sarto - Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/monet-il-sarto-bangkok-395441/)

SJLBK Feb 4th, 2004 06:28 PM

Monet il Sarto - Bangkok

Based on several recommendations from this cite, we have decided to use Jim at Monet il Sarto as our tailor in Bangkok.

For those of you who have used this tailor:

Does Jim do both men's and women's clothing?

What kind of pricing can we expect?

Should we be able to schedule an appointment via e-mail (I have the address)?

Can we bring our own fabric for some of the pieces we want made (I might pick up some nice chinese silk while in HK before we head to BKK)?

We will be in BKK for 6 days and plan on making an appointment with Jim for the morning of day 1 in order to allow time for a few fittings before we leave. However, we are planning on getting quite a few things made (many men's shirts and trousers, a few women,s suits, many more womens blouses and a few pairs of dress pants, maybe a dress...) Will this volume be a problem with a 6-day window?

Finally, is anyone willing to let us use their name as a referral? (We want to make sure we get good service and the best price!)

P.S. I want to thank all of the regular contributers to this board. Your insight, tips and wealth of knowledge has helped us a lot in preparing for our trip. Whenever I have a question, I just come to this board and search for the answer. Most times I find exactly what I am looking for!

rhkkmk Feb 5th, 2004 07:56 AM

by all means use our names: karen and bob kimball..

his name is jack, not jim....he is located on level 2 of the marriott mall bahind the marriott resort and spa...

i have had tons of shirts made there...he often has a shirt special--6 or 8 shirts for about $80...for a slightly higher price he has a wider range of better quality fabrics....i have only used the base quality fabrics and they are just fine....i only do 100% cotton, although i do think that on occasion some of the fabrics have some poly in them....

he had made me men's pants also...i think i paid about $36 each for wool trousers...

he had made my wife shirts and pants as well...

the key is to allow for lots of fittings....6 days may be tight, so going there on day one is essential....

i have never made an appointment, but to guarantee him being there at any one time it might be wise...he is young and very agreeable and easy to deal with...

know what style you want....bring a sample from home that you like...it may speed the process...bring pictures too...he has some western magazines but knowing what you want in advance is best....we have also had shirts made for our sons in law, but we came armed with tons of measurements....

the only complaint we have ever had is that the shirt sleeves sometimes shrink more than we anticipated...allow for that...talk to him about it...not all fabrics shrink at the same % however...

his stuff wears very well....

he will do robes, suits, jackets, pants, shirts, tux, raincoats, pj's, etc....most anythig you want....he uses wool, cotton, linen, poly blends, etc...he has quite a good selection...since 1997 many of the shops have less selection on hand because of the huge costs to do so, but they can get anything you want in hours...jack has lots of swatches of fabrics, even if the full roll is not there for you to see....

i do not know if he will do your fabric, but i expect that he will....you would need to know how much to bring....ask him via e-mail if he has a problem with that....it is mainly the wool that i find not as nice as in usa/europe...but that is not to say that it is bad quality....yesterday i wore a pair of his wool trousers and i thought how nice they were and the fabric is quite lite....the wool they have may not be as heay as some that we are used to in usa...depends on where you live and what weight you want

another retailer that we like is js thai silk in the river city shopping center...primarily they make women's things out of silk, but they have other than silk as well....this shopping center is next to the sheraton orchid on the river---end of the line for the marriott boat....

cost wise: i have mentioned the shirt prices above and the pants...can't remember other prices but they are reasonable....not the come on prices of some other tailors, although he will be competitive...you will find him fair and like most thai places the more you buy the better he will do on price...

\the vol. should not be a problem...they work all nite and as necessary ...none of his work is done in the shop,,,it is all done elsewhere...you will probably meet the tailors at some point for the fittings...jack is indian and most of the tailors are thai...this is the usual situation in most shops...

jack knows about fit....let him know if anything seems not 100% to your liking...he will fix it...that's why you have fittings....

tell him we will see him in late may...

enjoy

rhkkmk Feb 5th, 2004 07:01 PM

if you want to send me your name and dates in bkk, i will e-mail jack to tell him that i have suggested him to you....i am doing this for another fodors friend...let me know

bob

SJLBK Feb 6th, 2004 08:16 AM

Ben and Sara Katz. We will be there from March 22 - March 27.

Thanks for your help!

rhkkmk Feb 6th, 2004 07:31 PM

i am sending the e-mail now....

hope you like what you find...i am doing the same for another fodorite who will be there a month before you...

rhkkmk Apr 3rd, 2013 07:29 PM

it seems there are now problems with jack.. i withdraw my endorsement