Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Miyajima Hotel or Ryokan -Tell Us Where You Stayed

Nov 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Would appreciate recommendations for a hotel or ryokan on Miyajima. Where on the island is a good place to stay for two nights in the first week of April? Is it nice to be in town close to restaurants etc or better more remote and eat at the ryokan or hotel? Budget would be nice but would splurge for something special. Thanks Sue
Nov 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM

http://www.morinoyado.jp/english/index.html

I stayed at Morinoyado - link above - when I was in Miyajima the beginning of April this year. It is some sort of government run inn and is quite reasonable. I was on my own and had a huge Japanese style room with an anteroom, separate toilet and bathroom, large sleeping room and a little sitting room. The meals are included and dinner is served in the room - you go to their restaurant for breakfast. I did not use the public bath there so can't give you info about that. It is in walking distance of the Torii gate - I went there at low tide in the evening. I highly recommend this inn particularly if you are on a budget....It's my impression that there are not many places open for dinner outside of the inns...
Enjoy your trip!
Nov 17th, 2009, 03:17 AM

We stayed one night at a random hostel over a cafe - cannot remember the name. The other night we spent at the kinsuikkan Bekkan, which was a ryokan hotel - OK but nothing special. Check my username for our trip report in April 2008 - more deets there.

If I went back, I would check out Momiji-so or Auberge Watanabe
Nov 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Everything is pretty close to the town so no advantage there. We stayed at and loved Iwaso. Might be a little pricey but worth the splurge imho. You can read our trip report posted here on Fodor's from last year to see our review.

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...jima/iwaso.htm

I checked out Kinsuikan when we were there which is located in town and right on the water. Nice place to stay also. They have a restaurant there that is open to the public for dinners at night.

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d.../kinsuikan.htm

And mrwunrfl likes Momijiso but I'll let him reply if he's around

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...a/momijiso.htm

Aloha!
Nov 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Great guys. I will check them out. Thanks for the trip reports. Sue
Nov 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM

My husband and I love Iwaso-old section; We had a lovely suite(splurge) SErvice was excellent and the garden views restful. It is within walking distance of the main town and the mountain and park area. Enjoy!
Nov 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
kja

As hawaiiantraveler noted, everything is pretty close. I had a lovely time at Momiji-so, which is just outside of town (a few minutes walk) beside a rushing stream in park full of trees. My room was right beside the stream (with its waterfalls), lots of trees (and deer in the morning), and a koi pond. My understanding is that it is not quite as fancy as some of the other ryokan on Miyajima. It was also not quite as expensive. The food was fabulous.
Nov 18th, 2009, 10:33 PM

I stayed at Momijiso, in the Hinkoki room, and enjoyed it very much. Have dinner there: it is a traditional ryokan experience at a reasonable rate. I'd love to go back.

http://tinyurl.com/ylbfhsf
Nov 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM

We stayed at both Iwaso and Jukeiso. As mentioned, Iwaso is an experience in itself but is very expensive. Jukeiso is much cheaper and very good value for money. You get a reasonably traditional ryokan experience (our room was actually larger than what we had at Iwaso) and we had a fabulous view over the Torii gate. It was set on the edge of the forest and went walking amongst the deer in the morning. It is a little way out of town but the owners provide free transportation to and from the ferry.
Jun 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Can anyone tell me whether Momojiso and Jukeiso provide dinner in your room?
Jun 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM

We also stayed at Momojiso - it is quite simple compared to some ryokan, but very nice. When we were there, dinner was served in a communal room, there were about 8 tables (with chairs - not sitting on the floor as in some ryokan).
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM
kja

When I was at Momoji-so, my dinner was served in a different guest room at a small table on the floor. Where dinner is served may depend on how many guests they have - I was the only guest at the time.