Trip to Japan....what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be travelling to Japan from Canada March 26th until April 16th. Every year we take a trip around this time, but it has always been to Europe (France, Belguim, Netherlands). This will be our first trip to Japan. What are some must sees? But what should I wear? Whenever we went to europe I would wear tunics with leggings or shirts with skinny jeans with boots, a jacket and scarf. But are boots too warm to wear in Japan that time of year? Should I bring flats and sneakers instead?
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM

suggest you buy a guidebook for japan and many of your routine questions will be answered, then come back to us with specific questions
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I suggest you read what I asked since it was a specific question...are boots too warm for Japan. I already read a guidebook where it just gives you a guideline of the typical temperatures in Japan. But just because it says "10 degrees celsius" isn`t helpful because I would wear boots if I was in Europe still but flats where I live due to humidty and if it`s sunny or cloudy everyday. This is a forum where people are free to ask other people`s opinions. If you don`t want to be helpful and give suggestions or advice then I kindly ask you not to bother commenting at all.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Just because an answer given out of kindness is not helpful in your mind doesn't mean that it isn't. I would like to be helpful but after reading your retort to rhkkmk I fear your retribution if I don't get it right so respectfully pass.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Hi Dutch, I spent a month in Japan from mid-March through mid-April (a while ago). Lucky you - you'll be there for the cherry blossoms.

I will let the other experts cover the must-sees (Tokyo-Kyoto-hot springs-forest area), because I was there for work, not full-time sightseeing, fortunate to be taken around by locals w/ many insider experiences.

I did wear exactly what I would wear in Europe, including boots. You will also need sneakers, but Japan has the coolest sneakers in the world (cutting edge color combinations), so you should get them there. I was in Tokyo more recently with my family and we all were sorry that we didn't buy more sneakers.

For outerwear, the temperatures will be all over the place, as in Europe that time of year. The wardrobe you proposed sounds fine, just don't forget your bathing suit. For outerwear, you'll need something the weight of a blazer or denim jacket, as well as a warmer jacket or layers. A cashmere sweater will also come in handy. Pack light if you're taking lots of trains - if you forget something, you can find anything you need there (in smaller sizes). Have fun - I'm envious!
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM

You asked four questions:

>>What are some must sees?<<
That was the first question and I agree with rhkkmk.

>>But what should I wear?<<
Be prepared for rain, but don't bring an umbrella - you will lose it and umbrellas are cheap in Japan.

>> are boots too warm to wear in Japan that time of year?
Climate info available on the interweb IS HELPFUL. If it says "10 degrees celsius" for the location(s) that you choose to visit in Japan, then compare those temperatures with whatever the temperatures are in Holland when you wear those boots.

>>Should I bring flats and sneakers instead?<<
You can take them also, not instead.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 08:11 PM
kja

> But are boots too warm to wear in Japan that time of year? Should I bring flats and sneakers instead?

As guidebooks will point out, if you visit any temples, you will need to take your footwear off before entering.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:12 PM

From

......... With regard to boots, it' s advisable to wear such as can be pulled; off and on easily, as it is necessary to remove one's boots every time one enters a house or temple, in order not to soil the mats on which the Japanese sit. Grave offence is given, and naturally given, by the disregard of this cleanly custom. Light shoes or boots with elastic fides are therefore to be preferred, except for mountain work. If your boots give out, try the native straw sandals (waraji) with the native sock (tabi), which give a better foothold than boots on smooth rocks. Many foreigners have found them excellent foot-gear, the only addition required being a small piece of cotton-wool to prevent chafing by the thong which passes between, the great and second toes.
Boots barely holding together can be made to last a day or two longer by tying waraji underneath them.
The native blue cotton gaiters called kyahan afford excellent protection from the attacks of flies, and from the rank undergrowth so often found on the lower stories of Japanese mountains.

Roughly speaking, the Japanese summer is hot and frequently wet ; September and the first half of October still wetter ; the late autumn and early winter cool, comparatively dry, and delightful February and March disagreeable, with occasional snow and dirty weather, which is all the more keenly felt in Japanese inns devoid of fire-places the late spring rainy and windy,with beautiful days interspersed.
But different years vary greatly from each other. The average temperature of January, which is the coldest month, is between 3° and 37° Fahrenheit at Tokyo ; but there are frequent frosts at night during five months of the year, namely, from November to March inclusive. {Skating, however, is rare. The average temperature of August is 78°, the thermometer some- times registering over 90.° The climate of Northern Japan from Sendai onwards is much colder in winter, though not appreciably cooler during July and August. A similar remark applies even more forcibly to the entire West Coast, which is exposed to the icy winds that blow direct from Siberia. Kishu, Southern Shikoku, and Southern Kyushu are warmer all the year round.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 10:16 PM

http://www.archive.org/stream/handbo...e/n23/mode/2up
Sorry about the former post without link
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM

We were in Japan about that same time. We were as far north as Takamaya and as far south as Nagasaki. What you would wear in Europe for the same season is correct. Layers are good. I had a down vest, a couple of sweaters, and a gortex raincoat. With a blouse or Tshirt that gave me many options to layer or not as needed. Knowing about taking your shoes on and off is good. We had to in temples, other historic places and some bed and breakfasts at the front door. If you wear boots I would definitely wear shorter ones that are easy to slip on and off.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Wow the OP didn't last long.... Page not found!
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Wow is right. She was a regular poster - I checked yesterday and there were various posts, threads and TRs about trips to Europe.