Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Millennium Hilton, Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/millennium-hilton-bangkok-940479/)

Leburta Jun 26th, 2012 01:14 AM

Millennium Hilton, Bangkok

We will be ending a cruise in Thailand, and want to extend our stay for a few days. We would like to stay a few days at a hotel on the river (stayed previously at the Sheraton). We can use points at the Millennium Hotel, but it is "across the river" in an area that I'm not familiar with. The website says that there is a free shuttle boat to the Sky Train. Can anyone give any insights as to what there is on the Hilton side of the river? Will staying on that side be inconvenient?

Kathie Jun 26th, 2012 05:40 AM

There isn't much right around the Hilton (or wasn't when I last visited it). They do have a free shuttle to River City shopping center. River City is in the process of being re-developed, so while some of the arts and antiques stores are still there, there is a lot of vacant space. But from River City, you can walk to several; good restaurants and even to Chinatown. The Hilton does run a shuttle to the skytrain, but there is talk of closing that station. I don't know if or when that might happen. If it does, it will impact all of the river hotels. When are you traveling?

rhkkmk Jun 26th, 2012 05:48 AM

its a fine place to stay and i don't see it as inconvenient at all.. i almost always stay on that side of the river..

the conrad would be an alternative for you to use your pts and is very well located, but not on the river..

hilton has excellent restaurants, a unique pool and the fab bar 360 with outstanding views..

Leburta Jun 26th, 2012 04:40 PM

Kathie:

We're travelling in April next year.

rhkkmk: What is unique about the Millennium's pool? I like to do water exercises with a floatation device. Is it at least 5' deep? Do you recall anything interesting around the hotel?

rhkkmk Jun 26th, 2012 06:36 PM

i do not think it is that deep... it is a roof top poop, but on about the 4th floor over the dining rooms... their are chaises set on stilts in the middle of the water... you have the feeling of a regular outdoor pool, all overlooking the river...

you will need a good pool as april is the hottest month of the year..

rhkkmk Jun 26th, 2012 07:59 PM

that would be POOL, sorry

filmwill Jun 26th, 2012 09:53 PM

Oh, Bob, so many retorts I could think of--but must stay restrained.

Leburta Jun 27th, 2012 01:52 PM

Maybe a roof top poop would be good too!

Well, the reality is that I may never get into the pool. I always have good intentions and never travel without a swimsuit, but can't remember getting into a pool on my travels either. Having been to Bangkok so many times, though, I thought it might be a little more leisurely this time.

Any ideas of a nice hotel on the river with a little deeper pool?

lcuy Jun 27th, 2012 03:50 PM

Leburta, I know someone who stayed at the Chatrium hotel on the river. They loved the pool, though I don't know how deep it was. I stayed at the Emporium suites, which is not on the river, but is owned by Chatrium. It had a nice pool for doing laps or exercises.

rhkkmk Jun 27th, 2012 06:38 PM

chatrium has a lovely pool too.. my wife remembers as being a "normal" depth

evelyne13 Jun 27th, 2012 11:04 PM

I am at the Hilton right now for one night the pool is on the 4th floor lots of chaise lounge some with sand around and some in the water,the pool is 1.3 meter deep, beautiful view of downtown Bangkok.
We have executive floor rooms find them very small but ok for one night,nice bathroom.
Club lounge is on the 31 st floor, very nice and of course super view.
I do miss the choa praya Marriott more my style

Kathie Jun 28th, 2012 05:41 AM

I haven't stayed there, but when I toured, I also thought the rooms were tiny.

rhkkmk Jun 28th, 2012 06:13 AM

not only tiny, but oddly shaped and broken up

evelyne13 Jun 28th, 2012 06:48 PM

I agree with u Bob weird lay out of room and no space to open suitcases .
Next time will stay at Anantara

Leburta Jun 28th, 2012 08:24 PM

Will look into your suggestions. Thanks, All!

If you think of any more, please post.

Aloha!