Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Might be of interest..Medical check ups at top BKK hospital $60-240

Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Divediva was asking about dental in Bangkok and when checking the website address I noticed the full Medical check-ups/tests, they range from USD 60 to the top full medical examination and tests at about USD 260, I have no idea how this compares with costs US/Europe or whther you guys get this under medical insurance in your home countries but just thought I would mention as I 'guess' some of you might considor it when passing thru BKK as a way to get a cheap medical check up

www.bumrungrad.com
( no, I don't work for them !)
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

James I actually noticed Thai Airways offer medical check ups as a "tour" on their web site also, So there must be an interest in this. From memory I think the prices were similar to what you were saying and may even be at the same hospital.
J
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:59 PM

for anyone one interested...my wife is a nurse at a major teaching hospital in boston (harvard medical teaching facility)....we toured this hospital two years ago...it is usa accrediated--the only one in thailand...the place is fantastic...karen looked very carefully at the eqpt. that we saw and she said it is all the same stuff that we have here in usa....many of the docs are usa trained and certified...it is an unbelievable place...rooms (many are suites) are something like $100 a day as compared to over $2000 at her place here....often you have one nurse assigned just to you...there is a hotel adjoining the hospital as well...it is on soi 11, sukhumvit rd or near to there, so is right in the middle of everything.... we would not hesitate to go there for treatment and would insist on it if there was an emergency....people come from all over the world to be treated there, because of their reputation as well as their low costs...if its medical, they do it i guess....
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

It occured to me when looking for the site for divediva that maybe check-ups were something that people could save a lot of money on, they also do them at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and also Phuket International Hospital, I think they range from a couple of hours to about half a day, I had one done some time back and it was quite comprehensive, it was in Phuket and cost B 6,000 ($150) but easy and well organised,cholesterol, blood sugar, xray, check for urinary tract and all that jargon stuff, showed I needed to address the Cholesterol leval and I went back next day to get a list of eat/not eat, went to pay for that to find it was all covered in what I had aleady paid, so I was quite happy with it. Over the years I think the times total we have had to go to a hospital ( here you tend to head straight to a hospital with any problem as opposed to going to see your 'own' doctor, ) anything we head straight to the hospital, also with the kids, I doubt have ever waited even as walk in more than 5-7 minutes max to be seen. I have even popped into the local International hospital to check blood pressure and temp after I had been feeling run down for a while, done within minutes and they didn't even charge me(!)
Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:54 AM

Last week, I had a back tooth filling done at Bumrungrad - I rang one day, and got in right on time the next. I was impressed with the service and cleanliness and pleased with the work. It cost Baht1100 .

I caught the Skytrain to Nana, and walked down Soi 1 for 2 blocks - easy! Soi 3 would be even closer.

I believe dentists are cheaper in ChiangMai , but this place can certainly deal well with tourists.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:56 AM

Our family members and friends who travel to BKK with us are all registered at Bamrungrad. It doesn't cost you anything. Basically, you just give them your ID. If anything should happen to you, you are taken right to Bamrungrad because you already carry their card. There are many hospitals in BKK, but Bamrungrad is the one you want to go to, if at all possible. If you carry their card, that's where you go! That easy!
Carol
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:57 AM

im way over due for a regular check up... I'm back in bkk... i wonder if anyone knows of a good hospital that is a bit cheeper but still good.. I hear pheya thai hospital is also good..

actually I need a cardiolagist. but I think the bill will finally due me in..
Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM

thanks everyone for the useful information....i will plan on having my yearly checkups in thailand...
Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:23 PM

Just had to relate out doctor story while we were in bkk in december. I had this horrible sore throat that would not stop and then i started to not hear well in my right ear, so my wife called the front deck of the marriott and they put us thru to the doctor. Well when the doctor got there, we found out that they were based in the holiday inn, and the gruop is called global doctors. anyway, she totally took care of everything, and with the house call and all the meds it was still under $100!You cant even get a doctor to check your weight where i live for less than that!
Apr 25th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Check this out re: Bumrungrad and also hospitals in India - it was on 60 Minutes (US show) last night:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/
04/21/60minutes/main689998.shtml
May 5th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Yes I visited Bumrungrad 2 years ago. I went for MRI scan (lower back) because the price difference between their rate (about USD 300) and my local rate paid for the plane ticket!! I called before my trip and got through to the Xray dept and booked an appointment. Upon arrival, they put me through so see an orthopaedic surgeon and I went straight to scan room. Whole thing took 1.5 hours in pleasant surroundings. This was like 8pm on a Saturday night!! Report and films were collected next day Sunday. I was thoroughly pleased
May 6th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Carol-- do you register with the hospital when you get there or can you do it from here?
May 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM

i contacted the hospital about registering and the answer i received back really did not support registering in advance...they did check with my hmo to see if they direct bill and they do not even though it is the largest hmo in the usa...it would work on a pay and reimbursement which would be fine with me...

when we had our tour 2 years ago the deluxe room was $100 per day and the royal suite of which they have 4 or 5 is $300 per day...
May 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM

60 Minutes on CBS did a story on this hospital in BKK several weeks ago. They not only do check ups, cardiology etc, but also cosmetic surgery, all much cheaper than in the U.S. They apparently get rave reviews all around. When Im ready for my face lift, I'll check them out ;-)
May 6th, 2005, 08:11 PM

wait until you are old and need all the other tucks as well....gives new meaning to old bag...