Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Metropolitan in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/metropolitan-in-bangkok-691518/)

zinders Mar 27th, 2007 08:32 AM

Metropolitan in Bangkok?

Back again, with more Bangkok hotel questions. I had originally thought that the Old Bangkok Inn would work for us, but then worried about the transporation problems. Then we looked into the Chagabogswe Villas, but some of the reviews on the hard beds made me nervous (and it was a bit out of our price range).

Now, thanks again to this board, I found a good rate for a nice room at The Metropolitan on Sawadee.com. It's a big hotel, and probably doesn't have as much charm as the others, but it sounds like it will be centrally located...plus I like the fact that it's young and hip. And, it has a pool. Anyone have personal experience with the place? Thanks!

tozzman2007 Mar 27th, 2007 09:18 AM

You can also compare the rates with Planetholiday.com, HotelsGuru.com . Those sites are also their competitors.

Guenmai Mar 27th, 2007 09:47 AM

I have stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel and loved it. My standard room was very comfortable. I felt more like I was staying in a hip, studio apartment as the rooms didn't make me feel as if I was staying in a hotel. I would definitely stay there again.They are famous for their spa. It's a very relaxing hotel...there's a yoga mat in each room. And the bathrooms are beautiful...sleek modern...

I've seen many of the rooms there as the marketing director and I hit it off and I was given the grand tour of the place...some months after it first opened.

As for the location, there are better locations in Bangkok although there is a skytrain which is I think about a 10-15 minute walk away. The hotel is next door to the Sukothai hotel. The eateries inside the Metropolitan Hotel are very good and it's great to get some healthy-style food which is served in the upstairs cafe/restaurant...veggie burgers, salads, light stir fry...etc. And in the lobby there's free internet service on Apple computers. The staff is young and attentative. The hotel is into detail even down to the staff uniforms which are Yoshi Yamamoto. The split-level suites are beautiful. They have a diningroom area where the butler will serve dinner if you decide to dine in. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2007 09:58 AM

it is a very nice hotel....i agree about the location...its in the middle of the high rise business/embassy section....it is however right next door to the banyon tree hotel, formerly the westin....

you will be happy there...

i still would much prefer a river location and of course love the marriott, but the penn and shangri-la must be in the same ballpark as the met pricewise....i would prefer one of these...

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2007 09:59 AM

the dining room is excellent but expensive....

the hotel is 'minamilistic' if feel...you will sense it immeditaely upon entering...

simpsonc510 Mar 27th, 2007 10:20 AM

By location, I'm not sure if you mean the river or the shopping district. If you mean shopping, then look at the Holiday Inn Bangkok. It's a newly refurbished hotel, next door to, and connected to, the Intercontinental. The skytrain is right outside the door, and shopping is only a short walk. The breakfast buffet (extra cost) is really quite nice. The lobby is very inviting, pool at lobby level is nice (but "sterile".. no "character" added to the setting). I just stayed at this hotel in Feb and would definitely consider it again. Rooms are spacious and modern.

You might also look at the Majestic Grande hotel on soi 2. Just a 5 min walk to a skytrain station, nice restaurant in the lobby, small but nice pool on 7th floor, but rooms are not as large as some I've stayed in.

Guenmai Mar 27th, 2007 12:02 PM

As for the Metropolitan's rooms, they are modern, Asian style with sleek electronics. The design of the rooms is not what I would call minimalist however. They're different from the lobby. The cafe/restaurant on the upper level has quite decent prices. I've eaten there twice. On the lobby level, I believe there's also a club. Happy Travels!

StanKase Mar 27th, 2007 12:50 PM

I have only been in the lobby and it was nice enough. It is not the Penninsula but neither is the room rate. Siomeone in the lobby was chatting with another couple and I overheard the Deluxe Rooms were much nicer. Normmally the difference is $15-$25/night. You might want to consider it.
With all the fine places to eat in BK I think you might want to eat most of your dinners elsewhere.
Check if rate comes with full breakfast for that is worth $25 for2.

zinders Mar 27th, 2007 04:03 PM

The rate was $188, including breakfast. That was for a Metropolitan room, which is fairly large. My fiance is a tall guy - 6'5 - so I've had to make sure that the hotels we book have king-sized beds.

The Shangri-La seemed about the same price for a regular room. The Pen was significantly more expensive - $240 for their cheapest room.

Guenmai Mar 27th, 2007 04:50 PM

Just curious...How many square meters is the room that you're talking about for $188? Happy Travels!

Jim0884 Mar 27th, 2007 06:45 PM

If you're going between 1 April and October, asiarooms.com has the Met at $166