Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Merry Christmas from Bangkok! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/merry-christmas-from-bangkok-1170490/)

simpsonc510 Dec 22nd, 2016 04:59 PM

Merry Christmas from Bangkok!

We arrived last night, from cold snowy Chicago and have settled in at Column, soi 16, the Panorama suite once again. At 10,000 baht per night, this 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath large apartment with huge terrace is a bargain! We have yet to find anything else that compares.

This is a trip for relaxing as I have been in and out of ERs and hospitals in Switzerland and at home during the last few weeks. I even got wheelchair assistance at Pudong (Shanghai) and upon arrival at Bangkok. Something I've not done in the past! Hoping to regain lost strength from infections and anemia (caused by chemo). There will probably not be much day to day running around to markets and malls. I will try to report on restaurants though. With that in mind, one of our favorites (Hemingways) is gone...demolished...such a shame!! Another "lost their lease" that us so common here in Bangkok.

We've had coffee and DH is off to the grocery store next door to stock the cupboards and fridge. We're off to a good start.

Kathie Dec 22nd, 2016 05:20 PM

Hi Carol, it is good to see you here! I know it has been a struggle and I continue to send healing vibes in your direction. Enjoy your time in Bangkok!

simpsonc510 Dec 22nd, 2016 07:10 PM

As we were coming down Sukhumvit Rd last night, DH noted that he wasn't seeing many folks dressed in black and/or white. True. But no one is dressed in flashy colors, so there is still a degree of conservatism in wardrobe....

MaryW Dec 22nd, 2016 07:50 PM

Hi Carol, glad to hear you are back in Bangkok. Hope you have a lovely Christmas and get some good rest. Like Kathie I am sending you healing thoughts.

Wish we were in Bangkok to catch up with you. Its been a long time. Are you meeting with Pook?- if so please give him my regards.

hawaiiantraveler Dec 22nd, 2016 09:24 PM

Mele Kalikimaka Carol!! Following along as always. Omg 10.000 baht jeez I want that place. Hope you get to shop :))

Aloha!

Lolazahra Dec 23rd, 2016 03:17 AM

Happy holidays Carol! Glad you are back in your favorite city. Looking forward to reading along. Enjoy!

evelyne13 Dec 23rd, 2016 05:22 AM

Happy holidays Carol, enjoy the nice weather....wish we would be there sooner to see u, we booked for February 08 til April.....counting on you to find good restaurant so we can try them

Guenmai Dec 23rd, 2016 07:08 AM

Glad you made it over safely and wow, Hemingways has closed. Glad that there's not black clothing everywhere, but my Thai friend has mentioned subdued colors since October. I tend to go bright, but will save those colors for Malaysia and Singapore. I have a few days before I fly over.

Happy Travels!

internetwiz Dec 23rd, 2016 07:15 AM

Happy holidays to you and your family. I'm mostly a lurker, but I like reading your posts and hope being in Thailand provides you the opportunity for recovery and relaxation.

simpsonc510 Dec 23rd, 2016 11:25 PM

Oh how nice it is to be back in Bangkok! I barely left the apartment and our huge terrace yesterday! The fridge is stocked and the bed and couch are both comfy. No shopping mall is calling out to me yet... :)

Did I mention that I have a proofing job to keep me busy? Two German authors.. so it's ESL (English as a second language) and a lot to fix! Ugh! I will need frequent breaks from this one.

It is Christmas Eve day. DS is playing in a pool tournament. We usually have a celebration with Lars and Pong snd Angelee, but they are in Denmark until early 2017. We will see them before heading back home. Last year we had a lovely dinner party on our terrace with them. It was very special. Lars brought turkey and trimmings from the J W Marriott and it was delicious. We have no special plans for tonight. Taking it one step at a time. My stomach is slowly getting accustomed to eating (my new chemo zapped any appetite I once had).

Evelyne I just might be in Bangkok in February as we will have a publishing project coming to a close then. Depends on my energy level..... I may just go to Florida to get some sun instead. One day at a time.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

rhkkmk Dec 24th, 2016 05:04 AM

take it easy and just enjoy.

I think you will see plenty of black and white clothing, unless something has changed since last week.

shelleyk Dec 24th, 2016 07:02 AM

Happy holidays, Carole. Glad to see you were able to make it to Bangkok for Christmas. Best wishes for a happy, uneventful 2017.

simpsonc510 Dec 24th, 2016 04:00 PM

Bob, definately taking it easy. I will continue to do so as I am fighting infection, taking rx. I did not leave the apt yesterday at all. Maybe today?

kmkrnn Dec 25th, 2016 03:43 AM

Merry Christmas carol...glad to see you are settling in. That's the nice thing about BKK...easy to get food sent in, no need to go out. Keep your fluid levels up. Even though you don't feel it, you do loose more fluids in that heat and the AC is drying also. Bob almost passed out on me one day at River city.

When do you go to Hau Hin?

simpsonc510 Dec 25th, 2016 06:29 AM

Hi Karen. We go to Hua Hin on Thursday.

Right now I'm at the ER at Bumrungrad. Will probably stay. I need serious RX to fight this infection.

Merry Christmas.

yestravel Dec 25th, 2016 07:08 AM

Sorry to hear you are at the ER -- take care.

simpsonc510 Dec 25th, 2016 09:45 AM

Checking in for a stay... but this is an excellent hospital. I just wasn't planning a hospital visit as part of my holiday.

kmkrnn Dec 25th, 2016 10:12 AM

Hope you get the rx you need. Still the uti? Or something else? Hope you are feeling better soon

simpsonc510 Dec 25th, 2016 06:18 PM

UTI but with complications.

Guenmai Dec 25th, 2016 09:01 PM

Yikes, Carol. Hope you get better soon. I fly out tomorrow.

Happy Travels!