Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Merlin Beach Resort, Kamala Beach Resort or Thavorn Palm Beach Phuket (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/merlin-beach-resort-kamala-beach-resort-or-thavorn-palm-beach-phuket-137133/)

Donna Jan 6th, 2002 01:53 AM

Merlin Beach Resort, Kamala Beach Resort or Thavorn Palm Beach Phuket

We are considering staying at one of these hotels during our trip to Phuket. We want to be close to the shopping and restaurants but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. Has anyone stayed at any of these resorts and if so, what did you think? Any other suggestions would be welcome<BR>Thanks in advance<BR>Donna

Sarah Rey Jan 6th, 2002 09:31 AM

Not easy to be close to shops and things without the hussle ( and hassle). Kata or Karon beaches have plenty of restaurants and small shops for daily needs. Phuket Town itself is better for shopping. Patong Beach has many hotels but of course then you have all the time-share touts and other hustlers pestering you, plus the sleeze factor, go-go bars and other basically unpleasant factors. I'd go for Kata/Karon. Have you tried Marina Cottages or Kata Thani? Both very nice indeed.

tania Jan 6th, 2002 03:10 PM

I read an inspector comment from one of the asia-hotels.com and the person mentioned that Kata Thani is very nice but one problem is that the beach in front of the hotel is polluted with oil so after a walk on the beach we'd need to check our feet and remove oil spots with petroleum. We were going to stay there this March but... how disgusting could it be to read something like that, particularly from a reputatble online reservation company. Is this true???

Donna Jan 6th, 2002 09:43 PM

Tania,<BR>If you hear anymore about the pollution, I would be interested. Where do you think you will saty now?<BR>look forward to any other suggestions.<BR>Donna

Michael From New York Jan 7th, 2002 11:03 AM

Kata Thani Beach Front polluted? Not when I was there in november, 4th thru 8th. I thought the beach was absolutely gorgeous. You can see for yourself -<BR>check my photos at:<BR><BR>http://community.webshots.com/user/michaelfromny<BR><BR>when my photo page opens - you will see alot of albums: Look for the one described: Phuket, Thailand.<BR><BR>You will also find albums for Ao Nang, as well as Koh Phi Phi.<BR><BR>Michael From New York

Tania Jan 8th, 2002 03:26 PM

Thanks, Michael From New York,<BR>I went into your website and had a look at your photos at the Kata Thani. Very impressive, Michael. Maybe someone was just making stupid comments on the asia-hotels.com. It's not true...well..from looking at your photos anyway.<BR><BR>So, Donna, I think we'll stay at Kata Thani this coming trip b/c we want a nice beachfront hotel away from the noisy Patong. I think there are restaurants around to choose from. I do also want to try the "true Thai food", not the Westerner's Thai food so might have to go to Patong and Phuket town sometimes, not sure whether there's any in Kata. Eating is also a fun part of our holiday so good eating places have to be taken into account. Are vendor's food good? Any in Kata? I wouldn't do any shopping in Phuket, Donna. I think I'll do big time shopping for decorative items in Chaingmai night mkt and Bkk weekend mkt, something Chakutta...(wrong spelling, I know) There's a hotel shuttle bus that go to Patong once a day, not sure of what time though. Anyone knows?

Donna Jan 9th, 2002 02:59 AM

Michael, the pictures are great!<BR>Tania, it looks like a nice place to stay. Someone at work has recommended Thavorn Palm Beach resort at Karon Beach. The brochure does look great but I will wait to see how your trip goes. We are not going until June. I am on holidays at the moment and am doing some research while home.I will look forward to some tips from you when you return. We will do major shopping in Bankok at MBK and the market.<BR>Thanks for the help