Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Melia Bali Hotel, Bali. Any good? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/melia-bali-hotel-bali-any-good-216963/)

Merlyn Dec 21st, 2001 09:00 AM

Melia Bali Hotel, Bali. Any good?

I am booking a holiday to Bali next June and am looking at The Melia Bali & Villas resort which looks stunning and is on Nusa Dua Beach. But, i don't know too much about it, so would love to hear from anyone who's been there...Hoping it's on a quite side of Bali as i'm looking for a tranquil/idyllic place to stay.

The Bali Lama Dec 21st, 2001 09:03 PM

About Nusa Dua. . . it's a peninsula which remains fairly separate from the rest of Bali. The Balinese decided to develop Nusa Dua as a tourist destination so that Westerners could drop their dollars there without interferring much in the traditional Balinese lifestyle. Consequently, the flavor there is a Balinese version of an "anywhere in the world hotel strip." <BR><BR>If that's what you're looking for, fine. Otherwise, I suggest finding a hotel in Sanur where there's everything from US $10 a night homestays to a no-holds-barred Hyatt Regency. Only 20 - 30 minutes from the airport, Sanur is quiet enough to be called "Snore" by it's residents. It offers a unique blend of bohemianesque conveniences and traditional Balinese flavor. <BR><BR>Travel well.

Howard Dec 23rd, 2001 11:57 AM

When you change your money make sure you count it well. Those guys are slick.

Brian Dec 29th, 2001 02:34 PM

Looking at Bali for honeymoon, November 2002. How's the weather, looking for culture, beautiful beaches and tranquility, not hotel strips and nightclubs, any suggestions?

Anne, Australia Jan 2nd, 2002 02:29 PM

Have stayed at Melia Bali and loved every minute of it. Wonderful rooms, superb service and the many restaurants there are very good. The gardens are truly beautiful and the pool is outstanding. All prices at the hotel are in American dollars and in our down-market Aussie dollars it was cheaper to eat out most times. We breakfasted out every day and the nearby Galleria. Staff at the hotel are charming. Have a wonderful time.

Merlyn Jan 3rd, 2002 08:40 AM

Hi Anne,<BR>Thanks very much for your response. It's great to hear from someone who's actually stayed at the hotel. What can i expect from the beach at this resort as i've heard it's quite small and in the shade. Is this true? Also, is there plenty to do around Nusa Dua, hopefully walking distance from the resort?

Michael From New York Jan 4th, 2002 07:48 AM

Hi - I didnt stay at the Melia Bali on Nusa Dua but I stayed on same beach a few doors down at Sheraton's Nusa Indah.<BR><BR>There are four or five hotels along this particular strip of beach all connected by a paved path that is in the shade. The shade trees run all along this pathway for the length of the five hotel strip.<BR><BR>Each of the hotels are generally "U" shaped the the longer sections serving as wings heading towards the beach. In between the wings are the gardens and pool areas. There are plenty of shade trees available in the gardens and near the pool, but also plenty of places to sit in the open to take the sun.<BR><BR>The beach itself has both open and shade areas. <BR><BR>There's not much night life with-in walking distance of these hotels - other than the Galleria which is a huge mall complex with stores and restaurants. You can easily walk to it from the Melia Bali.<BR><BR>For more varied - you'd need to grab a car and driver that linger near the hotels.<BR><BR>I have pictures of the beach if you want a look at it - send me an email.<BR><BR>Michael From New York<BR>PS: I had dinner at the Melia Bali one night and thought it was very good. And this hotel had the most gorgeous lobby -<BR>spacious, airy, open.

Laura Jan 8th, 2002 11:23 PM

Stayed at the Le Meridien Nirwana Bali a couple of years ago and it was very tranquil. No beach but great pools and it overlooks the Tanah Lot Temple. It's away from everything else/west coast but you can get a cab if you need one. Very relaxing.