Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   MBK in Bangkok - do you barter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/mbk-in-bangkok-do-you-barter-632319/)

dkerr99 Jul 19th, 2006 03:21 PM

MBK in Bangkok - do you barter?

quick one - I have read that the MBK mall is like an outdoor market but indoors - does that mean the smaller merchants will barter? Or are the prices as posted?
thanks

Guenmai Jul 19th, 2006 04:42 PM

I have bartered in there up on the top floor where I've bought work by photographers who have done great photos of Thai culture. I was bartering there again in Jan 2006.It's an enormous shopping center so some places will barter and some won't. There are regular mall-type stores and then little stall-type stores. Happy Travels!

Girlspytravel Jul 19th, 2006 05:03 PM

I love MBK-it's my favorite shopping place in all of BKK. I don't know what anybody else does, but I sure bargain!

I bought two gold rings in MBK several months ago, went to a number of gold sellers, prices varied by about 20-25 dollars or so-and they were FAR better than prices I was quoted on gold in Chinatown-I don't like Chinatown's gold-it's machine mold-most of it, not handmade-and just not attractive to me. So, I'd rather buy at MBK.

The next time I go, I want to bargain for some pearls-they have quite a few pearl shops-so yes, the answer is, there are always more than one shop in MBK selling the same items-electronics, pearls, gold, etc. so go around and try to get the best price for whatever you're looking for.

StanKase Jul 19th, 2006 05:04 PM

Yes, and no. If it is an item of $300USD or more my experience is yes except for the 4th floor. I bought a wooden bowl with heavy 18k gold leaf that they were asking $900USD which if real gild looked like a good deal. I offerred $700 and ended at $740 with the agreement I could confirm the 18k gold. They agreed and it was 18K.Almost a 20% savings but it has to be on expensive items. The Weekend and Night markets offer 1/3 the asking price and walk away if you do not get it for 40% off asking price and you really want it. You won't walk away.

may_east Jul 19th, 2006 09:33 PM

From my experience, you can bargain on almost anything.
shirts, suitcases, bags, wood craft etc. even on things that doesn't cost much.

for example a "samsonite" suitcase, that was offered for 4000baht, was finally baught for 2100baht.

From the look at the client, they can tell how far they can go.
it's sometimes amazing...

when i went back to the suitcase stand to buy another one, the original seller was not there. so the initial price that i was told was 3500....

Eekthecat Jul 19th, 2006 10:36 PM

hi de ho

I love MBK. We stayed at the patawan princess which is on top of MBK and we spent alot of time bartering in the shopping centre.

The only thing you can not bargain on is in the restaruant and the food court. Everything else is fair game!

Although I would note that some of the shop keepers got a bit grumpy. We bargained and got discounts on everything from Jeans to suitcases to electronic stuff.

Eek

Kathie Jul 20th, 2006 05:58 AM

Are there parts of the world where the word "bartering" is a synonym for bargaining? At least in the US, bartering means trading one object or service for another. No money changes hands, but I might trade my fancy pen for a craft item, for instance. By that definition, no, you don't barter at MBK. However, you can always bargain. You can make an offer, or ask for a discount.

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2006 06:25 AM

any place in thailand it is always wise to ask, "do you offer any discounts or would you accept less B...."

Girlspytravel Jul 20th, 2006 10:52 AM

Bottom line, dkerr-as EEkthecat says, you can strike a bargain on anything at MKB except restaurant food (and I'm not so sure you might not be able to get discounted specials there too, it NEVER hurts to ask!)

BradinBangkok Jul 20th, 2006 11:10 AM

I don't think they barter at the Tokyu department store, but I've never tried.

BradinBangkok Jul 20th, 2006 11:13 AM

Sorry, I meant bargain.

Girlspytravel Jul 20th, 2006 11:50 AM

Well, the Japanese stores are different-they probably don't-but I sure would give it a try, regardless.

ekscrunchy Dec 16th, 2007 05:59 AM

Just going through old posts before I leave in 3 weeks...can anyone give me an idea of what this place is like.. Guenmai??

Top floor??? What else is there besides the photo/art places??

simpsonc510 Dec 16th, 2007 06:47 AM

MBK is an enclosed mall with 7(?) floors of clothing, shoes, luggage, furniture, Thai craft items, electronics, phones, massage places, beauty shops, food, etc etc. MBK has oodles of things for sale.

Tokyu is a department store (the only one) in MBK. No bargaining in the department store as items are bar coded. But Tokyu has great prices and lots of special sale items.

The seven floors are sort of arranged by theme, with 4th floor(?) being mainly electronics and phones (or is it 3rd floor). The furniture is all on about the 6th floor. The food court is at the top. There is also a bowling alley! Lots to see and do in MBK.

On each floor there are many small shops with walls that separate them from each other. Some have doors that can close. Then, there are the open spaces, resembling a market, where vendors throw covers over their goods when they are not open. I often refer to this part of MBK as the catacombs. It's easy to lose your sense of direction back in the market stalls area, and I have to keep track of where I am when I'm wandering through there!! lol

MBK is one of a kind. Make sure you give it a look. And do enjoy your trip, ek.

Carol

Kathie Dec 16th, 2007 07:32 AM

People either love or hate MBK - no one seems to be neutral.

ekscrunchy Dec 16th, 2007 07:53 AM

Thanks! MBK sounds a little like one of the market areas I visited in Seoul....I guess I will just have to experience it first hand. Now I wish I had planned more time in Bangkok!