Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Mass tourism swamps Asia's once remote places": cnn.com

I think many of us would agree with the observations in this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/04/01....ap/index.html
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:14 PM

Yup, but we can't close the door behind us once we've been there and experienced the magic - the price of "progress" I'm afraid and also the price of instant information via the internet...
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM

It was our experience in Thailand. I was last there in 1989 & mass tourism has hurt the Thai people & their culture.

The Bangkok Post had an article on/an editorial by one of the Ministers, while we were there... He said "the Thai people have become obsessed with making money & it is has negatively effected the Thai soul."

One of the reasons is there seems to be no zoning laws or any curtailing of development...
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM

Interesting article but like most of these it smacks of claims of authenticity, " I was there before it was ruined."

Throughout Asia, the rising tourist numbers are not just the backpackers and wealthy Americans he mentions but also the large number of Asian tour groups, reflecting the rising disposable income in some Asian countries. He does briefly mention a Chinese tour group.

I'm particularly fascinated by the growth in the specialty/upscale tour market. It used to be that a lot of places were only accessible to backpacker and it was a really hassle to get to them but now a good agent can arrange anything with a private guide and driver to suit a standard 2 week vacation....Mali by private jet anyone?
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM

Makes me happy that I'm "old" so my first trip to thailand was in 1985 and my trips to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (just a few days at the latter) were between 1992 and 1995. Glad I went to China first in 1989 and Bali in 1988, Pakistan in 1994 Hotels were not as luxurious and often awful but what I thought was westernized then seems very traditional reading reports about today.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM

But I've found that I don't mind the changes in Thailand since I've come back so often they don't seen as drastic. I'm not sure what I'd think of Siem Reap and Vietnam now. But I will be returning to Luang Prabang so that might give me a sense -- although I was only there for one day (actually arrived one evening and left the following late afternoon so even less). I'm looking forward to it. And with all the changes, am happy to have hotel and restaurant choices -- there weren't any last time if I recall
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:10 PM

My initial visits to Asia were in the mid and late 1980s. Certainly there have been many changes since then - and not all of the changes are bad. I feel more sad about changes to "fragile" places like Luang Prabang, which might be easily overwhelmed by tourism. In other places, increased tourism means a better standard of living for the locals, and as Gloria mentions, better standard of hotels and restaurants and services for visitors.

While it's always been fashionable for people to say to new comers that it's too bad they didn't see this place or that place before it was "spoiled," most of these places still have magic and we should appreciate what is there.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM

I also think it depends on what you are looking for and what you want to see and experience. The temples of Angkor have not changed. There may be more people and buses and souvenirs but I am sure you can still marvel at them while staying in wonderful hotels. On the other hand, what made Vietnam special for me was not the scenery or the sights but the people meeting Americans often for one of the first times since the war (when I went we still didn't have diplomatic relations with them). As a 60s anti war protester going and talking to these people was the reason I went to Vietnam and what made it such a special trip -- seeing the bomb craters and having drinks at the Rex where the journalists used to drink. But most of all it was learning first hand from the people and being able to apoligize. I couldn't have that experience today. Today it woul be very different (maybe not worse or better but definitely different).

One place that is not westernized is Burma which is why I do think so many of us who have gone there in the last several years have had such wonderful experiences.

So I guess I'm saying that sites don't change --they are still great; scenery may change but if it was gorgeous 20 years ago it probably still is. The way we connect to people however probably is different the more they meet tourists. Again, not necessarily better or worse but definitely different and thus the experience becomes very differnt.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM

no one has mentioned that to some locals and countrymen this has raised their standard of living, and the chance to make other than a baseline living from the land...

while it is not progress in one sense it is in another way...

imo, many have it far better than before tourism arrived....

don't be such snobs....i always laugh when people want to look for "the real ...."
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM

It's not just Asia either-I grew up in San Francisco in the 60's and 70's and wonder where I am every time I go back. The culture is gone completely and in it's place is a Ross Dress for Less, right on Market Street.

So maybe it's just universal.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM

Bob, you are 1000% right!!!! Excellent and important point. Thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM

Bob
Well said! And absolutely correct, IMO.
Carol
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:36 AM

Totally agree with Bob - its Ok us all making value judgements and then we come back to our cosy little lives and bemoan that things elsewhere have changed. Things can change - but be nice in different ways - years ago many lovely places would not have been accessible for us to see either, because of politics, lack of transport or just we didn't know such places existed - we are all lucky to be able to travel and go to such wonderful places.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
CFW

Bob, Offwego, Janev,

Great points and I couldn't agree more. Every time I feel myself getting wistful for the "way it was" or must have been in my imagination, I remember that along with that came much harder lives for people living in these countires including lack of adequate medical care, hunger, and even more poverty than we see now in countries like India.