Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Marriotts in Bangkok -- Courtyard vs Mayfair Exec Apts (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/marriotts-in-bangkok-courtyard-vs-mayfair-exec-apts-1047916/)

brk01 Jun 12th, 2015 02:07 PM

Marriotts in Bangkok -- Courtyard vs Mayfair Exec Apts

Hello -- I'm considering using Marriott points for a four-night stay in Bangkok around X-Mas (prior to heading to Cambodia). Have stayed at the Courtyard before and found it perfectly agreeable, but was thinking about the Mayfair Marriott Executive Apartments which apparently are not tooo far away and, presumably, offer more in terms of amenities and space. What gives me pause is that the price is not all that differerent so was wondering if anyone had any experience with the apartments, especially whether the precise location is desirable. Many thanks.

rhkkmk Jun 12th, 2015 03:37 PM

I have stayed at mayfair and it is nice, not exceptional, and older. I much prefer sukhumvit park on soi 24...

the renaissance is also a very good option

brk01 Jun 12th, 2015 05:03 PM

Thanks. I was actually wondering about the Renaissance as well.

kmkrnn Jun 13th, 2015 05:16 AM

The Renaissance is a very good option. The thing it has going for it is the BTS is right out the front door. Near many of the good Malls and places to eat. Taxis take a while to get some times, so allow extra time depending on time of day.

brk01 Jun 13th, 2015 06:05 AM

Thank you again. To give myself some options I have booked both the Renaissance AND the Sukhumvit Park apts on soi 24 and will sort out in due course. BTS right out the door of Renaissance is pretty appealing.

rhkkmk Jun 13th, 2015 10:54 AM

suk park has a free tuk tuk to skytrain

brk01 Jun 13th, 2015 12:56 PM

Again, thanks. New question: on the way back from Cambodia will be staying in BKK again for a couple of nights, this time preferably on the river. I stayed several (many) years ago at the Royal Orchid and liked it. Is this still a decent place? (Also, looking at the Anantara Riverside website.... isn't that the old Marriott?)

kmkrnn Jun 14th, 2015 05:08 AM

Yes it is the old Marriott resort and spa. They are building a new hotel on the next property named Avtia or something like that . It is a new name branding for them. I think not quite as lux, but not sure of services as it was not opened yet when we were there last year. Should be done by now.

Rooms have all been renovated at the Anatara as well as the Terrace breakfast area. Pool area still great.

rhkkmk Jun 14th, 2015 10:38 AM

yes anantara is the old, but updated, Marriott. it still is my fav bkk spot.. our fall trip will find us first at the anantara, and later at the renaissance.. at renaissance get a club room (club benefits here are excellent)--we prefer the corner suite usually priced at 4400 B.

Sheraton, despite several facelifts looks, feels and smells tired and old IMO.

chatrium riverside is an alternative.

four seasons is coming to the river in a new development---$$$$$