Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Marriott Empire Place (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/marriott-empire-place-961735/)

MazeC Jan 6th, 2013 10:59 PM

Marriott Empire Place

Has anyone visited The Marriott (Timeshare) Empire Place, Bangkok? What is it like?

What are the nearest (AND BEST) nearby restaurants and shopping.

As a Fodor's and Bangkok "virgin", any advice would be appreciated.

Arriving 13 January 2013.

Thank you. Keith

Kathie Jan 7th, 2013 06:51 AM

We visited the Marriott Empire place last time we were in Bangkok. We were prepared to love it and our reaction was the opposite. The rooms were stark and uncomfortable, there were no washers and dryers in the rooms, there were not many amenities, no real restaurant on the property, etc. The Marriott owns only a few of the apartments, so that may be part of the problem.

My first piece of advice is not to stay there. There are so many really lovely places to stay in Bangkok, I think it would be a pity for your first trip to Bangkok to be marred by staying at Empire Place. But it sounds like you've already made your reservations.

The location isn't bad - you can walk to the Skytrain. The Skytrain means that many wonderful restaurants and all kinds of shopping are within reach. Don't confine yourself to the immediate area. You aren't far from the Jim Thompson main store. I have eaten in some restaurants in that area, though none stand out.

How long will you be in Bangkok? Are you visiting any other places in Thailand?

Do take the skytrain to the river and take the water taxis to some of the most famous wats, the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha, Wat Po, Wat Arun.

MazeC Jan 7th, 2013 10:37 AM

Thank you for that very useful information. We have Marriott timeshare in the USA, so this is an exchange.
Bizarrely, just the other day, I emailed them and was told that there is a washing machine and drier in our apartment (it's a 2-bed.)

We are staying just one week, so any advice about Bangkok would be appreciated.

However, we do move down to Phuket - where we will be staying at the Marriott Phuket Beach Club. (another timeshare exchange)

Any knowledge of that area would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation.

Keith

Kathie Jan 7th, 2013 10:48 AM

Well, perhaps they have put washers and dryers into the apartments now. That would be a good thing.

At Phuket, you will mostly want to relax and enjoy the beach.

Bangkok has so much to do and see. Do buy the Nancy Chandler Map - much more than a map, it has major sight-seeing stops, lots of restuarants, shopping centers and stores on it as well. I listed some of the major wats for you. In addition, do visit the Jim Thompson House and the Erawan Shrine. If there are special interests you have, let us know and we can be more helpful.

There are a few things to watch out for:
1. always insist that a taxi driver use the meter. if they refuse - get out.
2. Don't take tuk-tuks, as the drivers will want to take you to tailors or jewelry stores for "special one day sale." You pay more for a tuk tuk than a taxi and you are exposied to the heat and exhaust.
3. When you go to the Grand Palace, don't believe anyone who tells you it is closed and they will take you somewhere else. It is never closed.
4. Jewelry can be a bargain in Bangkok, but not if you follow some "nice stranger" who will tell you it is a special government sale. If you are interested in fine jewelry (sapphires especially), let us know and I can refer you to my long-time jeweler who many other Fodorites have used as well.

SueHuml Jan 7th, 2013 03:14 PM

Hello Keith
Recognize you from the address. The Kathy who has responded to you is the Kathy that recommended SJ Jewelers to me. You cannot go wrong there.

Very sorry to hear about Kathy's experience with Empire. I'm sure that you will have the washer dryer and, it's good that you are close to the BTS sky train. Hope it will be Ok.

Pay close attention to the info that Kathy shared about BKK scams. Unfortunately we got taken on one of these the first time we were there, and, it really was outside the Grand Palace and were told it was closed, sent to another Wat then to a jewelry store where we spent over $1,000 on sapphire jewelry that was appraised for about what we paid, but in truth we couldn't get anywhere near that for it.

Envious of you being in BKK soon, virgin or not!
Sue

rhkkmk Jan 7th, 2013 03:54 PM

you will love the phuket one but i'm not sure the bkk will be great, but you won't hate it... just being in bkk is excellent... so much to do..

spend a day or two with tong's people for interesting tours inside and outside the city..

www.tourwithtong.com

SueHuml Jan 9th, 2013 09:59 AM

Did you see this Keith. Bob will send you the restaurant list.
Sue

MazeC Jan 18th, 2013 05:04 PM

May I firstly give you some "history" of our most recent travels in order that you may judge our opinion:
Jan/Feb/Mar 2012: Kuala Lumpur; Sydney; Tasmanis: New Zealand - the later on a 5 star cruise - then Miami: Punta Gorda (half way between Sarasota and Fort Myers in a condo)away 6 weeks in total.
March 2012 - 4/5 star Royal Savoy timeshare - Madeira (3 weeks)
June 2012 - 5 star Gleneagles Hotel (Scotland) (2 weeks)
June 2012 - 4.5 star cruise to St. Petersburg, Russia (2 weeks)
October 2012 - 5 star Transatlantic cruise - Europe to Barbados, then stay in Barbados (2 weeks)
I say again - this is not to be boastful, but my qualifications for the following views:
Frankly, I find little or nothing to complain about with The Marriott (timeshare) - Empire Place.
Our two-bedroom apartment in a corner unit with dual aspect view was great. (It was on level 3, according to the lift, but actually on the 8th floor!)
It was a clean, spacious, two-bed, two-bath unit. It was almost up to any US Marriott timeshare apartment that I have stayed in. There was a daily maid-service, where all the towels, sheets etc., were changed every day!!!
There is a separate washing machine and drier.
Refridgerator; freezer; microwave; toaster; cooker etc; and separate dining area. Free washing up liquid and washing machine powder.
One slight down-side was that there was no dish-washer, but if you forgot to do the washing up or in a hurry, the girls would do it, dry it - and put it away.
Four large bottles of complimentary water were provided every day. There is a decent size swimming pool; two floors for exercise machines and a tennis court on the 6th floor.
Our apartment also had a balcony with two tables and chairs.
There are no "food outlets" in the building, but a new and well-stocked supermarket just 50 yards away that was not overpriced.
SkyTrain rail services were just an 8 minute walk away, that went to all parts of the city.
The reception staff were very friendly - and taxis were readily called. A ride to any part of the city was no more than 70 Baht (about than £1.50 or approx $2.25's) Why walk to Skytrain or anywhere for this small cost. JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU ASK FOR A METERED TAXI - AND MAKE SURE HE TURNS THE METER ON. IF NOT, GET OUT AND GET ANOTHER ONE.
Take a "Hotel Location Map" (Available from reception) - to show to the taxi driver to get you back.
We ate "high end" - but you must try "Scirocco - 64th floor outdoor dining - expensive, but thoroughly recommended. The Manadarin Oriental (especially for Thai Buffet lunch - but don't eat too much for breakfast and you won't need any dinner!)and Basil (at The Sheriton)
I am really sorry Kathie, but I really found nothing wrong with this place. All I ask is - are we talking about the same place as you were criticising - as the washer and drier were in a purpose built room off the kitchen and could never have been added on afterwards.

Kathie Jan 18th, 2013 06:24 PM

MazeC, I am so glad you enjoyed the Marriott at Empire Place. We didn't like it, but our comparison is our favorite riverside hotel. In comparison our accustomed level of decor and service, Empire Place just wasn't for us. But I'm glad it worked out for you.

The unit we saw had no washer and dryer. We asked about it and were told it was not available. BUT - as I said, Marriott owns only a small number of apartments in the building, and they may well have added more. We looked at the apartment in Nov 2011, so more than a year ago.

And, absolutely no need to apologize for disagreeing with me. One of the plusses of Fodors is getting multiple points of view.

SueHuml Jan 20th, 2013 02:03 PM

So glad that the Empire Place was up to the usual Marriott Timeshare standard as we are looking to stay there Jan 2014 prior to returning to The Marriott Phuket Beach Club. I believe you are now there (for the next 3 weeks). Very curious as to how you like this property, and I might suggest that one day when you rent a car, you take a trip over the bridge (N) to Kao Lak (sp?) Marriott. It's a fairly new property and its a nice drive and you could explore the complex and have a nice lunch there.
Hope you are having a good time and that BKK wasn't too overwhelming for you!
Sue

rhkkmk Jan 20th, 2013 07:46 PM

its about a 1.25 hour drive to khao lak... once you see it you will want to spend some days there..

MazeC Jan 22nd, 2013 04:39 PM

Thank you Kathie for your understanding for our completely opposing views on Marriott - Empire Place.
One point I will agree on is that it is not a hotel (with the usual hotel facilities) but then it never pretends to be one.

Out of idle curiosity, please type in your chosen web search engine the following:

"Trip Advisor Marriott Empire Place Bangkok"

You will then find an alternative forum for reviews and you may be interested in other opinions of Marriott Empire Place, Bangkok