Calling AskOsena

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling AskOsena

We are confirmed on SingAir from Houston to BKK in January. Any special advice? (We are in economy)

Thanks in advance.

mcbeanie
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Make sure you try the Kaya toast when in the SIN airport.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM

i believe she fell out of her wheelchair at the top of two flights of stairs and broke both arms and hands and thus is unable to type....so i guess we may not hear from her soon....

the question is who pushed her?
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM

>>>the question is who pushed her?<<<

... (would never, ever, do such a thing) ...

Warm greetings again mcbeanie,

(And do hope all is well with you and loved ones, should you happen to live in the Houston area and proximity to that Hurricane Ike.)

Now, thanks for your message, and do wish to congratulate you on your unmatched Art of Travel: precious hours with those sensational Singapore Girls; eventually arriving at beloved Bangkok, the Garden of Eden; checking into a fine, friendly hotel and immediately arranging for joyous days and nights with gorgeous Thai women. (Or something like that.)

(And speaking of Bangkok hotels: yours truly has been obliged to spend most of the past month in Bangkok for work, and some evenings I was the only guest on my all-time favourite floors at the Oriental and Shangri-La, and just one of two guests on my special floor at the Peninsula. Mind you, low season, indeed, with a bit of a 'rumour of political unrest', but particularly quiet times with some of my all-time cherished 'personal butlers'. (Purely platonic, to be sure; somehow, someway, mrs. m has made a point of befriending numerous female staff at those hotels.) And, in their bid to raise occupancy levels, rather good 'inside' rates to be had for you frequent corporate/leisure Bangkok travellers: the mrs. and I have been given rather sweet 'suite' rates at both of our little riverside honeymoon hotels for the forthcoming Loy Krathong; weather permitting, always a fine evening.)

Back to sweet SIA. Will you be flying out of Houston SQ61, IAD-DME-SIN, followed by SQ970 onto BKK? As of 'now', you'll be flying out in January in a superb B777-300ER, all the way to Singapore, and an 'older' B777 to BKK. (Do note, we live in a world of 'equipment changes', affectionately known in some circles as 'TG Disease'. (Never a dull moment, flying TG, HKG-BKK and NRT-BKK - and those lovely Thai hostesses.)

Don't know if you've ever flown SQ before, but if not, some suggestions: savour your moment of boarding the aircraft and your initial encounter with your 'first' Girl. (I'll never forget: the very first time I was permitted to fly SQ Raffles (business class) for work, and a stunning, friendly Chief Flight Stewardess in the red-coloured sarong kebaya. Hooked for life.)

Next, don't hesitate enquiring for some of SIA's stationery kits and playing cards. (And do remember to hydrate throughout your flights. Must confess I do add a bit of champagne, and if it's a long-haul, a bit of Ambien to the mix, but with my ongoing monthly 'trans-pacs', the combo doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.)

Finally, and this was something I did a bit more when I was a 'single guy' flying SIA: flying ex-SIN, I would pre-order little gifts from SIA's KrisShop (mostly 'small' sarong kebaya uniforms for a niece and her friends), and arrange to have them delivered to me during the flight. It added that extra personal touch to the flights; an additional opportunity to talk with the various Girls, and yes, the occasional exchange of personal contacts. (Please forgive me.)

A bit jet-lagged, so will sign off from sunny San Francisco. I'm back to Asia (Singapore) later this week to be with mrs. m and do some pre-Formula 1 work. (And yes, flying with those Girls aboard a Golden Goose out of SFO.)

All the best to you - (and do look forward to flying with those Angels) ...

macintosh (robert)

... All Around the World - Singapore Girls ...

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

We are looking forward to our Singapore flight. And yes, we do have that lo-o-o-ng flight -- Houston to Singapore by way of Moscow. We were willing to take the extra hours after reading SeatGuru's description of the economy seating.

Sounds like a red sarong is something my 9 year old granddaughter might like, too.

And we appreciate your concern about IKE here on the coast. Galveston was the hardest hit and is still closed for re-entry. Fortunately, we are on the outskirts of Houston -- albeit I-10 toward San Antonio so we had lots of wind, rain, but no great damage. Just a few broken tree limbs. We do have friends in the Clear Lake area, however, that we haven't been able to contact.

Back to the airlines. We have flown several others on our various trips to BKK -- some we enjoyed (Air France and Continental Bus), others not (no comment). But we do try to take a different one each trip hoping to find one that we will repeat.

To any other Gulf Coast Fodorites, I hope you fared well with IKE, and that your damages were minimal.

Thanks again.

mcbeanie
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM

... you're most welcome, mcbeanie; pleasure. (Glad you survived your latest 'cane.)

In my SFO jet-lagged state Sunday evening, neglected to mention a few items. Over on sweet SQTalk, there is a 'trip report' posted by an individual, highlighting recent experiences flying Y, SQ62, SIN-DME-IAD. In my occasionally debased opinion, it is a most pleasurable change from the 'usual' photo-laden flight reports, documenting that person's latest and greatest first class experiences, Dom '99, and all.) (So many of the photos from 'SQ62 Y' are wonderfully blurred, as if he had consumed ~ six gin and tonics, and was goin' for more - and yes, those Singapore Girls.)

(And, in a slightly different vein, SQTalk is also the home of a truly fine trip report by a most wonderful UK couple, documenting their very first SQ F flights. It's still a work in progress (get with it, mr. and mrs. n!), and it's so refreshing to come along posts by individuals truly appreciative of the honour of flying a certain Singaporean airline. (Not that SIA is perfect, mind you; even loyal SQ PPS folks like me occasionally get, well, shall we say, less than 'G_d Like Treatment' ... (but I'll still take it) ...

(And, with 'nickbots' trip report: I'm a bit partial to page ~ 22, and certain pics concerning a certain all-time cherished business travel 'war horse', SQ973, the SQ Silver Kris Lounge, and yes, a certain TG F lounge. (TG BKK F hostesses (and masseuses) - Forever)

Probably forgetting more, but that's all for now; will try to post more from Singapore. Thankfully, just a few hours away from more joyous times - with those fun-loving, glorious Girls...

macintosh

... "We know you love 'Siam-bu', lah!" ...

SQ1 'F/J galley', April 200_ ... (long, long, before meeting mrs. m)

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I want AskOksena's job.

Whatever affords you the opportunity to travel so much can't be half-bad.

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM

>>>I want AskOksena's job.

Whatever affords you the opportunity to travel so much can't be half-bad<<<

... thank you, warm greetings, apologies for the belated reply, and now, must confess to this fine, family friendly forum: not all of my Asian workdays end with joyous late-night, in-room massage treatments with gorgeous Asian women, gently caressing my body with my all-time favourite massage oil ... (but every now and then, the Asian business travel does have its moments: something to do with meeting a certain, precious someone aboard a certain Singaporean airline) ...

... (and, as for a bit of the actual work: well, let's just say the sight of 'big ships on the water' - thank you, most wonderful and industrious Scottish ancestor, and present partners - never fails to warm my heart) ...

... but now, back to mcbeanie, and yet another sordid confession to this fine Asian forum: in my ongoing jet-lagged state, I posted 'IAD' instead of 'IAH' for your Houston locale. Please do not try to fly SQ 61/62 in-out of Dulles. Thank you, and deepest apologies. (And do remember those BKK massage treatments.)

... (and, as for one of my favourite fodor's posters, 'dogster': check out the 'sq flyergirl' over on sqtalk, and her latest TR concerning SQ F, Melbourne - Singapore; good humour and pics.) ...

... thank you, and, as always, savour your special times, with that Singaporean airline, all the way, to the Land of Smiles...

robert

... "Massage you from tippy-toe to head-top, nice, clean, to enter Gates of Heaven." ...

(Somerset Maugham, "The Gentlemen in the Parlour")

London 1930