Search

map of bankok

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
map of bankok

Does anyone know where I can find good detailed tourist friendly maps of bankok that are free?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM

Most hotels provide these at no cost. The Westin & Novotel Lotus' maps are particularly good. Also there are maps available at the airport in arrivals or at the information counter.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:23 PM

quite honestly there are not really good maps of bangkok like you might get of paris or london...there are some that give you the layout of the city but not a lot of detail...you will find some at the airport or at your hotel...

the nancy chandler map, available at hotels and bookstores for a fee, is about as good as i have seen....

some of the major companies make some maps but i don't find them too helpful...
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:38 AM

Before our trip to Thailand, I wrote to Tourist Information Center in Banngkok, and they sent me by mail a map and some material about sightseeing. I receive the same from Singapore and Taiwan.

It took ~ 2 weeks to receive the documenation.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:31 AM

Forget the free map. The Nancy Chandler Map is a great resource. The many spots noted are helpful when you are in an area of the city for one reason and want to do something else. For instance, you might be wandering through Chinatown and want to grab lunch. You can just pop into one of the restaurants listed on her map and be relatively sure it will be good. We did exactly that and were very pleased. We've worn out our N.C. map and had to but a new one. It's an investment with a very nice return.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:49 AM

I like the Nancy Chandler map too - but it isn't too scale. We haven't seen a good map to scale.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:55 AM

The Nacy Chander Map is a great resource, but as noted, it is not to scale. Hotels will have maps, and some of them are very useful, especially foe the immediate area of teh hotel. I also have a map that came in an Insight Guides book. I don't carry it with me when I'm out and about in Bangkok, but I do use it back at the hotel sometimes when I'm plotting my route. It can correct any misconceptions about how close two locations are!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM

Yes, the maps I've seen of BK are not great. I personally prefer the Nancy Chandler map...nancychandler.net. I've used it for years. It's not to scale, but has tons of hotels/restaurants/sights etc... written in on it. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, looks like I will wait to I get to BKK to pick up my nancy chandler map as it's substantially cheaper there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM

went through my old files, and found a great map i got from king power, king of duty free. shows all of bangkok with all bts and mrt stations.

go to king power shop at world trade center(i believe its the chit lom bts stop), and pickup your free copy. really an excellent map.