Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Manila hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/manila-hotels-375745/)

VANDA2004 Nov 12th, 2003 06:37 AM

Manila hotels?

I am Filipino-American visiting Philippines in Feb2004. I have looked online for a hotels in the Makati area. But I am not sure which is the best to stay at? I also found tons of hotels in Malate/Ermita, but are those areas safe? Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Governator Nov 12th, 2003 06:18 PM

I see you haven't gotten any replies yet. It's hard to get info off this board re the Phils. Everyone seems to be going to Thailand. Better for us ;> I didn't stay in Makati. I went there by day and it did seem more upper class, and more lively with families then the Ermita area where my hotel was. There are a lot of homeless people in Ermita and it is not recommended to walk around at night. I walked around Malate which is South of Ermita, near Robinsons Mall. one day and I noted to myself it might be a nicer area to stay then Ermita, next time. I noted a hotel which I passed called the Executive which seemed to have good rates.

The draw of the Philippines is pulling me back again for Thankgiving, after only 3 months since my first trip there. I will be heading straight out of Manila this time however as the Phils has so much more to offer.

mvg Nov 13th, 2003 09:29 AM

Can't go wrong with the Peninsula or the Shangri-la. These are the best in the city.

r

orgy7 Nov 13th, 2003 10:06 PM

I stayed in makati for a month recently and it's OK. it's fairly safe clean.. many bars and malls. if you want the best hotel just go to asiatravel.com and look for most expensive hotel. . bingo.. you hve a winner. asiatravel.com offers best deals in filapino hotels. i believe they are based there as well..

kikahead Nov 14th, 2003 03:43 PM

Agree with MVG--those are the best of the best. We usually stay at the Manila hotel for a night or two but that is not in the same class level as the Peninsula.

If this is your first time to the PI be sure to go to other areas then just Makati. Makati feels too much like the US to me--Starbucks everywhere, Lacoste stores. Check out the Divisoria for great shopping! I spend about two or three days of my trip going through there!!

kikahead Nov 14th, 2003 03:45 PM

By the way, at ALL the hotels you look at be sure to ask if they have a balikbayan rate--you can get 10-20% discount off rack rates.

VANDA2004 Nov 18th, 2003 09:07 AM

Thanks for everyone's posts! I was aware that Peninsula and Shangri-La are the best in Manila, but they do seem expensive even with the $-peso currency exchange rate. I was looking at the InterContinental hotel and was wondering if anybody has advice about that hotel? Thanks for the info about Ermita/Malate also... very helpful. I would also like very much to explore Manila, not just the westernized areas like Makati. I am unsure about safety in other areas, but I will play everything by ear and evaluate situations. Thanks again!

VANDA2004 Nov 18th, 2003 09:10 AM

Oh and yes I have been to the Philippines.. I was born and raised in Visayas region. Just not too familiar with Manila... thanks!

bizzyb Nov 19th, 2003 04:24 PM

Check out Olympia Courtyard Suites, they are right behind the Shangri-la in Makati and across from Glorietta Mall. My husband is Filipino and we stayed there about 2 years ago. It was great for our family of 4 since we could get a 2 bedroom suite and didn't have to have 2 hotel rooms, saved on the price and it included breakfast. Not as fancy as the high end hotels but clean and conveniently located.

arcturus Nov 19th, 2003 06:58 PM

First of all, you should still have relatives here in manila right? residents get cheaper hotel rates than any internet offers. by as much as 50% at times.
Case in point, i went to Shangrila-Mactan Resort in Cebu last summer, asked a friend to book me from there. it cost me 50usd per night, but if i am to book it myself, a resident of manila, (not cebu), it becomes 150- 200 per night.

Technically, Manila is fairly safe for tourists. Its the residents who are victims of kidnapping,etc. since a famous conspiracy theory is that government is behind the kidnappings, why else would kidnapping always run rampant before the election year.. by government i mean mayors, congressmen,etc. and they study the people whom they intend to kidnap.

If you are really on a budget there are hostels like charterhouse which is just in front of makati commercial center that gives you basic cubicle with bed and bathroom at cheaper weekly -monthly rates.

Have fun enjoy your trip!

Vinzent Dec 1st, 2003 11:02 PM

I have been living in Manila for 29 years, here's the low down:
1. Makati - Manila's main business, shopping, and nightlife district:
Best Hotels(in terms of rank)
I.New World Renaissance - literally a stone's throw away from the best place in Manila - Greenbelt, where all the best restaurants, shops and mall. It is right across the newly opened Greenbelt Mall and is 2 minutes away (via walkway) to Glorietta, where all the retail establishments are. It is also the newest hotel on the block (newer than Shangrila and Peninsula)
Note: I have recently stayed in these 2 hotels and Pen, in particular, is in need of renovation. The rooms are old and have a dated feel to it.
II. Oakwood
This is a new Condotel which offers a kitchen so you can cook your own food. This place is even NEWER than New World, but is a bit pricier.
III.Shangrila

MUST-Do's and MUST-See
I. Manila - Casa Manila, San Agustin Church, and Fort Santiago -- all in the Intramuros Area. How do you like to walk on cobblestone streets, and stare at 150 year old houses that show remnants of a bygone era? You must eat at Ilustrado restaurant that is beside Casa Manila, they have excellent Filipino food. If you go to the San Agustin Church, look for Fr. Galende, if you're lucky, he will take you around himself.
2. Luneta and Roxas Boulevard
The City of Manila has recently revived this area and made it a great place to walk around.. don't miss the sunset, it is picture perfect!
3. Divisoria and Binondo
For tourists, I suggest Tutuban Mall, they have great items and even better bargains. Tutuban Mall has 3 clusters, you can start with C1. Binondo, meanwhile, has the best Chinese food in the country. Eat at 1) President-its on Ongpin St. 2) Wah Yuen - Escolta area
4. Nightlife and Sports
1) Greenbelt - Nuvo for cocktails, Pepato for pasta, Temple for Dancing
2) Glorietta - V Bar.
5. Outside Manila
1) Tagaytay Highlands
2) Baguio
3) Punta Fuego- for the beach and:
4) BORACAY!!!

jet_setter Dec 2nd, 2003 11:13 AM

Vinzent:
Any opinion about AIM Conference Center?

Also, would you happen to know any websites that offer tour pacakges from Manila to HK/ China/ Bangkok?

Lastly, something off topic- do you happen to know a Marirose G. at your company?

Thanks.

BillT Jan 29th, 2004 10:03 AM

Has anyone stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel recently? It looks like a great 5star hotel.

leniram Jan 29th, 2004 05:53 PM

Hi all!
Can a balikbayan also ask for 50% off a rack rate?

MsDama Feb 9th, 2004 10:26 AM

a budget-minded option.......

A coworker of mine (Filipina) recommended I stay in Makati. She also recommended a place calle BSA Suites. she says its close to shopping and rooms are comfortable. ive booked it and will be staying there Feb 16. its confirmed at a rate of $34/nt double occ. my flight leaves tonight to manila on PAL then straight on to Boracay. if its good ill post and let yall know.