Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai just called-our villa is not ready yet!!!!

Nov 11th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Just lovely, we are leaving for our honeymoon on Wednesday and the MO Chiang Mai just called and our villa is not ready yet and they are fully committed for our stay. They are offering us the Oriental Bangkok (which we don't want because we are already in BKK for five days) or the Rachamankha Hotel. the MO put us on a waitlist for the Four Seasons but they are sold out as well.We are so disappointed because this was going to be our big stay in Thailand and we had our spa, restaurants reservations, etc. all set.

What should we do? I was thinking of flip flopping our dates and going to Phuket first and then up to Chiang Mai (I checked the Four Seasons and they have rooms for those dates) but then we get into switching our flights and that is a hassle.

What do you all suggest?

thanks.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM

If it wasn;t your honeymoon I'd say just stay at Rachamankha and spend the money you're saving for fabulous meals in Bangkok. But since it is and since you say you want the resort/spa experience I would try to flip flop the dates and stay at the Four Seasons.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I would also check out Yaang Come Village (see thread on it on this forum) and Puripunn Baby Grand Boutique Hotel although I'm not sure if the latter is open yet. The Oasis Spa is supposed to be fabulous and/or you could always spend the day at the Mandarin spa.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Flip the dates. Change the flights. HAve a great time.
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:57 AM

try to flip things...i would also let oriental know that this is not acceptable...one week's notice!!!! milk it for all you can get from it....can you change your bkk stay and see if they will upgrade you at the bkk oriental??

flipping flights is quite easy in thailand as there usually is no charge....make the oriental do it for you...
Nov 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Flip the dates! We stayed at the four seasons with my husband no kids. It was like a second honeymoon for us and we couldn't have asked for more. We had a really great time. I hope things work out for you. Good luck!
Nov 11th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Switching your flights should be no problem. Thai air has excellent customer service, in my experience.

Good luck - have a wonderful honeymoon!
Nov 11th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I have just emailed and faxed a letter about this situation to both the Group Exective Officer and Operations Director of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group. Well see where that get's us.
I am going to wait on that before switching our flights.

What a bummer.
Thanks everyone.
Nov 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I would definitely ask them to upograde you at the Oriental in Bangkok and if you are staying elsewhere change your reservation if they'll do it. I would also call the administrative office of the Mandarin group and demand to speak to someone NOW. This happened to me once with the 4 Seasons chain and believe me by the time I was done with them I had gotten more than I had thought I would. But you need to do more than just send a letter -- at least when you have so little time.
Nov 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I agree with Gloria. Call NOW. Impress upon them that this is your honeymoon. Firm, but not furious is probably the most effective posture. Don't agonize too much, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip, just not exactly the trip you envisioned.
Nov 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM

So what happened? What did you decide?
Nov 12th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

I emailed and faxed a letter to both MO's Operations Director for Asia, the Group Chief Executive and the Dhara Dhevi's GM. I faxed the letters to the New York Office and the Hong Kong office and faxed the letter to the GM to the hotel.
I did hear back from someone in the NYC office and she said someone would be getting back with me but she said those execs are based out of Hong Kong soI won't hear back until Monday I am going to call first thing Monday morning.

I just can't believe this is happening.
Nov 12th, 2005, 06:18 AM

jvrab-The Oriental group is a reliable operation. I'm sure they will take steps to make an appropriate modification. It seems as if you're going to BKK first. Many people don't even make Chiang Mai reservations until they get "in country". Fodors posters do everything months ahead of time because we're obsessed. This will work out.
Nov 12th, 2005, 05:09 PM

tell them that you are best friends with gloria and you will receive immediate attention!!!!