Cab from KL to Singapore

Search

Cab from KL to Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab from KL to Singapore

Has anyone ever done this? We are thinking about a trip in the fall to China and then flying to KL and want to get to SIN too. Loved it there last time in 2/2016. I did some research and found a price of about $125.00 USD which I think is very reasonable. Any info?

Thank you.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 09:16 AM

Other options: You could fly (perhaps as an add-on to your flight from China to KL) or take one of the luxury buses from KL to Singapore. There is also a train.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. If we take a bus how is the route? Is get more or less a straight shot or do the roads have a lot of twists and turns? My wife tends to get motion sickness on roads that twist and turn but is OK with a straight shot so that is why I was thinking of a cab because we can simply pull over if we need to to let her get a few moments rest.

Thank you
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 12:22 PM

I normally steer clear of long distance buses- speeding , sleepy drivers, terrifying, nausea inducing roads, and often smelly or dirty interiors. I was traveling with friends who insisted the Malayasian bus system is different, and it was. The roads are all like new, the buses and rest stops are immaculate, and the drivers (and attendants!) are attentive and concerned about safety. We were served a meal and watched a movie.
We actually took the night train from Singapore to KL and the bus to Georgetown. Both well exceeded my expectations, and I would have no qualms about doing either mode of transport in Malaysia again.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Very info to have. Thats quite encouraging. We would also like to see some of the country too.

Thank you! .
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 02:35 PM

My favorite place in peninsular Malaysia is Georgetown, Penang. It's a World Heritage site and has some of the best Hawker food anywhere. We stayed at the E&O and loved it
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is detailed info on trains in/between Malaysia and Singapore here:

https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#...nang_-_Bangkok

It looks like that until they finish upgrading the lines you will be better off on the bus. I took the bus in the other direction way back in 2002, and it was fine then. Probably better now.

[If you wanted to go all the way from Singapore to Bangkok, and felt like splurging, there is a luxury train:
https://www.seat61.com/Eastern-and-Oriental-Express.htm ]
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

We have to give thought to where we want to go besides KL. I have heard good things about Mallaca too.

We don’t want to,plan too much as it will be pretty warm, have to pace ourselves.

Thank you. How is your shoulder?
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thursdaysd. Friends we saw today who have been there say the bus is a better option. I looked at train schedules and they take much longer.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could stop off in Melaka on the way to Singapore. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Cameron Highlands, although I liked Kuala Kangsar. I also had a nice rest on one of the Perhentian Islands, but they are a bit out of the way.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:47 PM

My private driver, in Georgetown, Penang, drove me from Georgetown, Penang to Kuala Lumpur and in around 3.5 hours or less. We stopped along the way and it was really nice. I had bought a plane ticket, but ended up not using it.

From KL to Singapore, I was told that it takes about 3.5-4 hours to drive there. From Penang to KL, I paid 700 ringgit at 4.3 exchange rate, U.S. dollars, and in Jan 2016. Below is what I posted on tripadvisor.

My private driver's dad was driving someone, in January 2017, from Penang to Cameron Highlands. So, when one is busy, the other is usually available so I have both the father and son and both hang out at my hotel, the E&O.

Last year, the son drove me to the mall and when I got out, I saw his father and other drivers sitting outside a small cafe. LOL! They all waved at me. Penang is a small place and it seems that a lot of folks know each other. So, while I was at the mall, my driver chatted with his dad and the other drivers until I was ready to be driven to my next location. I have had the same drivers since January 2015.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi....html#73052417

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:50 PM

Forgot to add that my driver drove me in his very comfortable family car, not in the taxi van. And the rate included his return back to Penang.

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Larry, my shoulder continues to improve. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Guenami thanks for the tips and the links, more options and more importantly info about reliable drivers!

Kathie glad you are better. I join you in shoulder maladies. My right one has a bone spur and some arthritic changes but a whole lot better after PT. Cortisone didn’t help much but as long as I keep up my PT prescribed exercises it pretty good. And I’m thankful. .
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 07:54 PM

jacketwatch: You're welcome. And yes, it's about reliable drivers and also SAFE drivers. As my private driver and I were headed from Penang to KL, there was a major accident on the highway, on our side of the highway, and with two cars that were totaled. How an accident could have happened on a wide-open highway, in picture perfect weather, and almost no traffic as it was a holiday day, is beyond me. The drivers were standing on the highway on their cell phones and I guess trying to get help to come.

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 09:53 PM

Totally agree about finding a safe cab driver, the standard of driving is appalling, lines on the road are immaterial, they veer across lanes and when you've got the BMW crowd going full pelt down the lane, it's a recipe for a big prang.

Another pet peeve is that they often don't own the cab so at every toll booth they stop and pay cash, which can slow you down quite a bit
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 01:39 AM

Yes, the driving is appalling. If people would just SLOW DOWN and also get OFF their cell phones and focus on their driving, then there wouldn't be so many accidents.

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 06:32 PM

I'd really recommend taking the train or bus instead, or even a plane. A cab is costly and uncomfortable. For trains and buses they have sleeper buses/compartments that seats can turn into beds so you can just sleep the journey away.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We are inclined to use the bus service now.

Larry.