Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   malaysia thailand and singapore trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/malaysia-thailand-and-singapore-trips-385402/)

Jeff_Australia Jun 26th, 2008 02:43 AM

malaysia thailand and singapore trips

Hi,
I am travelling to Malaysia at the end of October on my own for 12 days. I will be on my own and am wondering if there is any group tours that I could join in on in say Malaysia, Singapore or Thailand ??. I am prepared to fly to Singapore or Bangkok. I like my comforst so would prefer hotel tours.

Any help would be appreciated

Jeff

afterall Jun 26th, 2008 05:07 AM

As a rule if you're set on travelling with an arranged group tour it's wise to find the tour first then arrange the flight to match. But perhaps you are going to Malaysia on business and adding on those 12 days?

I expect there are tours but none that would cover all three countries in 12 days - is that what you had in mind?

If you want to concentrate on just one, or maybe go to Cambodia instead, then you could look at exploreworldwide.com.

I hope someone will be along shortly with a whole list of companies for you; but meanwhile please don't write off the possibility of just doing it yourself.

SE Asia is an absolute doddle to travel around in. Cheap airlines; excellent buses; trains too. And if money is not an issue, plenty of luxe hotels to choose from, and they'd probably be able to set you up with private sightseeing.

Best of luck.

Kathie Jun 26th, 2008 06:56 AM

Jeff, three countries in 12 days itn't very realistic, though I expect you could find a tour that would give you that. Unless you really want to travel in a group, do it on your own. Travel in this part of the world is easy to arrange yourself, English is widely spoken, and prices are good.

You can opt to choose places you want to go, then book a day trip tour if you feel you need more structure. I'd recommend that you do some reading about these destinations and decide what you want to do/see/experience. Once you know what you are most interested in, we can be of more assistance.

Jeff_Australia Jun 29th, 2008 02:53 AM

Hello,
thanks for the replies. I am not necessarily looking for the three countries in 12 days. I don't really want to spend all my time in Malaysia and am trying to see what options I have in other places. I just thought if I could find some short tours in another country I wouldn't be on my own all the time.

Thanks again
Jeff

Kathie Jun 29th, 2008 09:33 AM

It sounds like arranging day trips with a groups tour would work best for you. Those aren't things you arrange ahead of time (unless you want to pay many times the local price).

Singapore is an interesting place for a few days, but no one needs a tour in Singapore.

Of the places you mention, Thailand probably best fills the bill. Fly to Bangkok, and you can pick up say, a day trip to Ayutthaya (make sure you do one that give you the boat trip on the way back). Really, Bangkok you can do on your own. At some places like the Grand Palace, you can get a guide if you'd like. You can certainly book "city and temples" tours if you want to be with a group.

You can go north in Thailand to Chaing Mai or Chiang Rai. There are travel agencies everywhere so you can book a dat tour if you want to.