Malaysia East Coast Beach Resorts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to do some R&R with family (2 young boys aged 4 and 6) in Malaysia late July/ealry Aug on East Coast. Has anyone been to ClubMed Cherating in Trengganu? Wonder if it is worth the $. Any other suggestions for beach resorts/hotels?

Thanks in advance
Jane
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM

I have not been to the ClubMed in Cherating, have you tried to find any reports on tripadvisor? I do know that it has been around for at least 20 years, as my sister went there in 1988 and was not impressed, but as that was so long ago I don’t think it really counts.

The Club Med is in Kuantan, which while technically in the state of Terranganu, is not really near the prettiest beaches, IMO, as you need to go further north or go to offshore islands. IMO the beaches are rather average and you can’t snorkel from them. So I would recommend the following in other areas:

1. Redang Beach Resort, is actually quite OK, see http://www.berjayaresorts.com.my/redang-beach. This is on Redang Island, a bit north near Kuala Terrenganu. This is not not luxurious, but is quite comfortable, and the beaches and snorkeling/diving are really, really superb. Snorkeling from the beach is quite good, and you can take boats to more remote locations. There are two other resorty hotels on the island, the Laguna and the Coral. I have not stayed at either, but I think that the Berjaya is the nicest of them all, but I have never even been inside the others, so really that is just by looking at them. Also, I seem to recall hearing that with the Laguna and the hotels on that side of the island, you can’t always count on the transfer, esp the ferry connection, to work with the air trip, <i>unless</i> you are staying at the Berjaya, where they time arrivals and transfers to the flight schedule. With the Laguna, I think you could be waiting at the airport for a while to get the next transfer over to the hotel.

2. Tanjong Jara Resort (http://www.tanjongjararesort.com), if you need luxury. Very nice place No right-off-the-beach snorkeling, but easy boat access to very good stuff. Plus access to a bit of culture in the neighborhood and some lovely little villages. You can fly into the airport in Terrenganu.

3. Finally, if you don’t need luxury but just want a remote and beautiful place, then I would really suggest you look at Rawa Island. This is offshore south of Kuantan (you take a short boat ride from Mersing, its easiest to go from Singpaore actually, it’s about a 3- hour drive from Singapore.) Snorkel off the beach (decent) or hire boats to dive and snorkel elsewhere (great). Can’t stress enough that this is not a luxury property (despite some vast improvements over the years), food and service are fine but not in any way 5 star, but the beach and setting are really so beautiful IMO you just don’t care (at least I don’t). http://www.rawasfr.com/. Their prices include full board as well.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM

Have not been to the Club Med in Cherating, but they generally are good places for families, with lots to keep the kids occupied while the parents get a little R&R.

Does it have to be on the coast, or would you consider one of the islands? I was in Tioman a few months ago, and it's lovely. The Berjaya Resort is probably the place to be for families.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM

We stayed at the Berjaya Redang Beach Resort a few years back. It was a nice enough hotel, not luxurious - probably a 3*. We went mainly for the diving as it had a school on site. The diving was god as was the snorkeling as the reefs were really close to the beach (which, as far as I clould tell, was reasonably safe for kids). When we were there there were a lot of Japanese tour groups saying hence the Karoke Bar and Japanese restarant were always busy!

I think there are a couple of other hotels on the island including a Berjaya Gulf resort. There also a few other local restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. East malaysia seemed a lot more Muslim influenced than the rest of Malaysia so alchohol was not widely available outside the hotels.
Apart from teh hotel, there did not seem to be a whole lot around to keep children amused.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM

I stayed at Tanjong Jara years ago and thought it was lovely.

(Back then this area was a nesting ground for leatherback turtles and I went to see them lay their eggs at night.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt in Kuantan last June. We thought the main part of the hotel was 3 star , but the club rooms are 4 star. There were alot of kids around, and I think a club for them. The beach was nice, 2 pools. Italian and local resturants. Out side of the hotel along the beach were some resturants. We ate out there a time or 2. Shuttle into town. I think Kuantan has a zoo. Good place to go, but I would not call it Fabulous...low key.