Malaysia & Halong Bay? Read Kathie, Bob, Craig & Other Trip Reports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, so confusing. I know I should stop reading the trip reports but I can't help it, very addictive. I am wondering if we should visit Kuala Lumpur, beach area, Penang & Halong bay or BKK, SIN, Siem Reap & Phuket. We have 15 full days. Coming on Cathy Pacific. Blown away by Halong bay boat ride from Craig's report. It seem soo magical. Penang and Borenao trip report by Cath & Bob.. As always thank you!
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM

KL/Sin/Penang is more organized, more posh hotels, easy traveling, shopping, eating and more developed areas, sometime you need these places to wind down a bit from other chaotic traffic places, hustle bustle. Ha Long Bay - quite a trip ride from Ha Noi, quiet and most prefer sleeping on boat for experience, just for scenery, not much to do unless into nature. Phuket depending where you're at, you can be pestering by touts,lots to do, but you must bargain and make sure you don't get rip off at time, but must visit Krabi surrounding areas via boats.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:42 AM

"Kuala Lumpur, beach area, Penang & Halong bay" makes little sense as a combination. Halong Bay is in northern VN, you'd have to fly to Hanoi then it is several hours by car each way from Hanoi to where you catch the boats in Halong Bay, So I'd cross off Halong Bay. Kuala Lumpur, a beach area and Penang is easy to organize. I'd stay in Georgetown in Penang, and Langkawi is easy to get to from Penang. (I'm not sure - did you read my Penang trip report or Bob's?)

BKK, SIN, Siem Reap & Phuket is easy to organize, but with just 15 days, I'd opt for three destinations rather than four. Of those, cut Singapore.

There are so many things to see and do in SE Asia, just recognize that you'll be back again (and again, if you are like most of us).
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Rally enjoyed reading both of yourtrip reports(wonderful). Thank you regards to how far Halong Bay is. I have no clue. Is there a such cruising from Malaysia? I am all about good food and spa.I don't see that much posting on Malaysia on Fodors.It seem lush and peaceful.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM

Malaysia is a large and diverse coiuntry. Yes, there aer parts that are "lush and peaceful" and there aer parts that are very urban. Malaysia is one of the most economically developed countries in SE Asia.

Part of Malayasia is located on teh peninsular, and part is located on the island of Borneo. Obviously, Malayisan Borneo is very different from peninsular Malaysia.

Cruising from Malaysia? To where? What are you thinking of?

Do you have a guidebook on Malaysia? It sounds like you could benefit from guidebooks on the places you are considering, buy (or get from the library) one on Malaysia and Thailand at least.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie. I will buy a guidebook to read & research. I want beatiful resort that has a nice beach, lush grounds, good fresh seafood, modern clean room and a view. Stay in the city for some sightseeing, shopping, eating good food, and spa service. Have you seen any of the beach resorts in Malaysia?
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM

my 15 day trip for the best all around enjoyment and diversity of experience would be: bangkok, angkor wat (siem reap) and a thai beach resort, but not phuket (much prefer the sheraton at krabi or the amari vogue; khao lak at either the le meridien or my current fav the jw marriott; or the easiest of them all the hyatt at hua hin--a road ride of 3 hours south of bkk).

anything more imho would detract from my enjoyment...

malaysia is fun but does not hold a candle to thailand and some of the other SEA countries...
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM

Well, there are plenty of lovely beach resorts all over SE Asia. It's been years since I stayed at a beach resort in Malaysia, so I'm not the best person to make a recommendation. Bob has given you a number of good recommendations for Thailand. And I agree with him about just three destinations. Less (destinations) is more (fun and satisfying) in SE Asia.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM

The Four Seasons on Langkawi (Malaysia) meets your requirements.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 07:40 AM

datai on langkawi is an alternative as well---near to 4 seasons.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, I really appreciate the advice & your time. FS is way too expensive (about $700 per night). My husband Mike almost had a minor stroke when we went to Bali & stayed at The legian resort, lol. Datai seem nice but not sure about the Monkey hanging around. I need a quiet place to sleep. I need to make up my freakin mind since I seem to change my mind. We are set to arrive in Bangkok on May 11 and leave from BKK on May 26 But the way my mind is I can be changing where to go and when to go. Who else going to Asia beside Bob this year?
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Many of us on this board go to Asia every year.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,

Do you know which month you will be in Bangkok? Bob is coming in October. Thank you.