Regular Bangkok visitors: What are your MUST have "fixes"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are off to BKK in a couple weeks. I more or less have what we were going to do, but am curious as to the little things you all yearn for and can't wait to get once on the ground when you return?

That special massage.. where? ( I have noted the blind person's massages near a temple.. name in my notes!)

..those stores for tailored items or handmade jewelry?
Anything else you wait to get to BKK to get done?

those special places for a drink?

I have been living overseas for years, so I know the feeling of getting a few " fixes" the first days I am back in the USA or actually receiving guests in Spain!

Thank you all for the restaurant info you have provided on a different thread. I am sure we will have a fabulous time thanks to all the expert suggestions.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM

The food.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM

That's a good answer, Curt. When I read this question earlier today, I was thinking that I no longer have one restaurant to recommend. I have a lot of favorite places to eat for different dishes. But the food is certainly something I crave. You'll find your favorites.

One other thing - the water taxis. I feel like I haven't truly arrived in Bangkok until I've taken a water taxi.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM

Even when I stay in the city, I always take the sky train down to the river and have a drnk or lunch at either the Peninsula or the Mandarin Oriental. I need my river fix.
I absolutely love Harrn products ( there are several shops in the city) and stock up on these when I am in BKK.
But mostly it's about the food....... ( and the people)
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM

Every time I visit BKK I get the BTS to Saphin Taksin jump on a public boat for the trip along the river to Wat Po. In itself this is a great way to see the river for only 25bht. Once there we walk along the street outside tye wall of the temple until we reach a small Soi at the end of which is the Wat Po Massage School. The price has increased of late to 420 bht per hour but still one of the best bargains in town. No frills but consistently the best massage in town. if you have the time opt for 2 hours to really feel the effects - I felt at least two inches taller after visiting last week!
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks crellston. I have this noted probably from one of your trip reports!
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:28 AM

I always look forward to going to see some live Muay Thai fights. You can do this in a number of stadia, Lumpini and Ratchdamnoen to name just two, but it costs quite a bit.

One alternative is to go to the Channel 7 studios(Chon Jet Sii) on a Sunday morning. Get there at about 12 noon and you will get in for free to watch a full card of fights that is televised nationwide. The fights are usually very competitive and while the atmosphere is not quite as electric as in Lumpini, it's still pretty darn good.

Best of all, it's completely free to get in.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

I had noted the boxing on Thursdays.. I might look into the sunday fights as we will be there that day. Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:26 AM

I like the shoppping. Two of my favoite places are the Jim Thompson outlet on soi 93 ( it can be hit or miss, but great bargins some times), and Cocoa Banana, 5th floor, in the Platinum shopping center. Tons of funky costume jewlery to bring back to your friends at very good prices, and a fun place.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM

K is wrong, cocoa is on floor 3..

we love the food and always visit harmonique and tongue thai and biscotti. face bar's restaurants are a favorite as well.
we like to stay on the river and to enjoy the hotel boat rides on the river to and from the sky train.

we use thai stone jewelry in the nana hotel and have been very happy with each of their creations..

we love yellow curry dishes (shrimp and crab in particular), fried morning glories with garlic, chicken and cashew (best at tongue thai), eggplant dishes (not the round thai eggplant, but rather the long purple ones), laab salad, pomelo salads, stir fried chicken dishes to name a few...

karen loves platinum fashion mall and its new annex next door.
paragon mall, esp the 3rd floor where you will find the shop Indigo.

thai craft holds sales at a building at the corner of soi 23 and sukhumvit on saturdays from 10-2. check the schedule at www.thaicraft.org

having tong for a guide and buying eyeglasses from her husband at his shop near khao san rd.

swimming in the pool at the anantara hotel on the river.

taking cheap taxi rides to almost any place in the city...

having a fodors GTG in bkk. visiting with friends like hanuman and michaelbkk who we have met through fodors.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Well you have all simplified my note taking which I really appreciate. I have a few pages of odds and ends and am now trying to see which attractions to visit on same day due to geographic proximity. hmm. Hopefully my friend is bringing me the nancy chandler map of BKK next week if she comes to Spain, but this will take some doing.

Is there a webpage or list somewhere of logical sights to do on same day? We have 6 full days, and one of them will be an all day bike tour in the countryside.

We had hoped to tour with Tong, but we had to suddenly cancel our SA trip this past December, and i am leery of making too many non refundable reservations right now. Maybe in a few days. I had contacted her but told her I would later get back to her. She has been ill, and now has diabetes, it seems, so and also dealign with the aftermath of the flooding. My heart goes out to her. Hopefully she can work us in if we decide to take on a guide one day.

Thanks again for all your personal recommendations, I will take them into account, I am sure!
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM

One more thing to add to your list:

For us, no visit is complete without enjoying the buffet breakfast at the Peninsula Hotel outside by the river. It helps if you stay there and breakfast is included in your rate.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:14 PM

In case you do want to take in the Channel 7 fights, it might help to know where it is: http://g.co/maps/4ud2q
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM

>>>That special massage.. where?<<<

(Where to begin...)

Now, warm greetings lincasanova and congratulations on forthcoming trip to the Land of Smiles. (And not too many years back, had the privilege of spending a few days in your listed Spanish residence; special place and people.)

(And before attempting to answer your enquiry, please indulge me in once again giving the highest praise to some special crews and friends with Singapore Airlines. I flew SQ16 into SFO with them earlier today and it was as sublime as ever. Will be in the SF Bay Area for a week's work before flying back to Asia this weekend; always a pleasure, flying SIA.)

In keeping with the business travel theme, one of my first Bangkok fixes is met within an hour of checking into various BKK hotels for work : an in-room massage. (And it's not just Bangkok; I've been doing the same routine for years when arriving for meetings in Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore - until we purchased a property in SIN.) The massages - and much water - have always been an acceptable first night jet lag remedy. And on more than a few occasions, the massages are a much appreciated end to a day of meetings and working dinners.

Another fix - and one that always keeps me in the good graces with the women in my extended family and certain female business colleagues and clients - is the purchase of various Jim Thompson lipstick and cosmetic cases. (A wonderful old mountaineering buddy currently based in New York City considers the Tiffany egg shell blue presentation box and gift in a similar vein.) Those JT products and their ever changing colours and patterns have never let me down. I normally abhor shopping, but JT makes it relatively harmless with numerous hotel shops and their small gift size.

I've never been much of a 'foodie' or drinker (with the exception of the occasional high quality Champagne and wine flying certain classes with certain Asian airlines), so no real BKK cuisine fixes for me. Of late, I have savoured some memorable sunsets and bubbly at my current main BKK business travel hotel, the St. Regis. Certain evenings, the property's terrace bar (and clientele) is terrific.

And the St. Regis brings up a BKK fix I currently miss : 'my' special business travel room at the Krungthep Wing of the Shangri-La down by the river. Until the St. Regis came along with some truly fine corporate rates last May (and an extremely convenient work commute), the K Wing was my little work abode, with great staff and friends, perfect lap pool and (something other Fodorites might appreciate) : the endlessly fascinating river traffic. For more than a few personal reasons will always be partial to certain suites at the Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula, but for BKK riverside business travel purposes, the Krungthep Wing was sweet. (And, should you or others ever land in 'my' special room at the SL, the desktop guest book has a few appreciative comments signed, 'Khun Robert from Singapore'. Memorable moments.)

Have fun in Bangkok. Current meeting schedule has me back in BKK in just about a fortnight and mid-Feb. (Which brings up one last fix for now : Valentine's Day (evening) at the Peninsula. Believe this will mark seven consecutive years; a nice fix.

Warmest wishes to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM

I posted earlier today and now see my response never posted!

Two things I always look forward to in Bangkok:

1) Jewelry shopping at SJ International

They will come and drive you there and back at no charge and with no pressure to buy.
When you call for pick-up, ask to work with Lily. Tell her you are part of the Fodor's gang. Mention Kathie from Seattle or any of the Hawaii crowd: Peter & Linda or Lucy. She'll discount the already reasonable prices by a significant amount.

They have everything from inexpensive silver to $$$ designer pieces. Sapphires and Rubies are the best but in Thailand, but they have lots of everything. Ask her to bring out more if you don't see your dream piece in the display cases. The also repair, re-size (for free), customize and will deliver the pieces to your hotel later.
http://www.sjjewelry.com/aboutus.php

2) A massage at FACE Spa.

The massages here are done in a traditional Thai cottage with room for one or two of you. They have nice scrubs and different styles of massage if you aren't in the mood for Thai. I love their coffee scrub with hot compress massage. I also like that you have a private shower. It's very easy to find, just a 2 minute walk from the Thong Lo. http://www.facebars.com/en/bangkok/restaurant/Thai-spa/
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:23 AM

We have only been to BKK once before, but we will be returning very soon. I can tell you that one of the places I am most looking forward to is Harmonique. (I'm a fan of tasty food, excellent value, charming ambiance, homey character and cold beer.)

That, and the mesmerizing river traffic. Especially in the morning.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM

Ah, Lcuy, two of my faves!

And mr go - I can watch that river traffic endlessly.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

well. just found a GREAT rate at the Peninsula in January on their website. Hope someone can use it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM

so, where ARE you staying in Bangkok? Maybe you posted this before but I didn't see it.

Also, you can't beat SJ. Lcuy's recommendation is my wife's favorite.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Have been debating between adelphi suites, marriott mayfair, another marriott.. and suddenly I found a great rate at the PENINSULA. I can hardly believe it. Hope it's not a misprint.. anyway. we have a confirmed reservation. Going for the Peninsula.. room only, but, that's OK. I am waiting for them to tell me how much breakfast is a la carte as the rate that included breakfast was $120 more per night plus tax.

This should be a wonderful vacation. Bangkok, total luxury, then Siem Reap $20/person guest house !! I love it!

Thanks everybody for wading through all these requests. I will write a report when I get back.

Now I am off to do some last minute fundraising for the plf.org. I can't wait to meet the founders. I hope they are around. They will be collecting us at the airport when we arrive and we will visit a school straight away and spend the afternoon. It should be a very fulfilling time there. A nice way to end our family holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -