Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Malaria a problem In Golden Triangle? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/malaria-a-problem-in-golden-triangle-511879/)

rnvetrn Mar 12th, 2005 05:47 PM

Malaria a problem In Golden Triangle?

Going to Golden Triangle in August and getting conflicting info on need for Malaria meds...Any comments?

Lindsey Mar 12th, 2005 07:13 PM

I think it partly depends on what activities you are planning to do while you are there and the type of accommodation you plan to use.

I can tell you this anecdote. In Nov, I stayed at Anantara with my 12 year old daughter. We took no malaria meds. She attended the mahout school (elephant training) and part of the time they were riding the elephants in thick jungle. We somehow forgot to cover her with insect repellant before she went (yes, you can call me a negligent parent) and she came home covered with dozens of bites. Fortunately the only ill effect was a day of itching. So we probably got lucky on that one.

If I was planning to do lots of outdoor activities or stay with a hilltribe where there is no mosquito netting, I would consider taking the meds. But if you are staying in upmarket accommodation, where they spray regularly, and if you are only planning the normal sightseeing and shopping, I think the risk is pretty minimal.

Kathie Mar 12th, 2005 08:28 PM

The Golden Triangle is a malarial risk area. Mosquitos that carry malaria bite from dusk until dawn (most active at dusk and dawn). I found there were plenty of mosquitos even at the Anantara in the evening. (Linsey, your daughter wasn't particularly at risk riding in the jungle during the day, though obviously you both regret the lack of repellant.) You don't need to be in the jungle to be at risk. Sitting outside in the eveing, eating in open air restaurants in the evening, etc. place you at risk. You lower your risk by assiduously using repellant, and of course, sleeping in an air-conditioned room lowers your risk as well.

As you may know, the malaria in this area is resistant to larium, so your options are malarone or doxycycline.

Do read more complete info on malaria and anti-malarials at www.cdc.gov/travel

Cicerone Mar 14th, 2005 12:05 AM

Are you referring to India or Malaysia?

Paulo59 Nov 29th, 2005 07:00 AM

We are going in 3 weeks to Delhi, Rajasthan, Agra and Varanasi. I have malerone for maleria but was warned by Dr. to also get DEET lotion for exposed skin and premetherin to spray on/soak my clothes. The clothes spray supposedly lasts 2 weeks. I don't mind the DEET lotion idea but do I really have to wear only clothes sprayed in this stuff for the entire trip? Sounds like I better get a gallon of the stuff or wear the same clothes for 2 weeks. Any advice would ease my mind.

glorialf Nov 29th, 2005 07:12 AM

I've often wondered about premetherin. My problem is how to spray the stuff on when you live in an apartment in Chicago since it's supposed to be outdoors. Aren't there some deet sprays that can be sprayed on clothes while they are on you?

Paulo59 Nov 29th, 2005 07:17 AM

Don't know about DEET spray on. Thought I was all set with malerone and some DEET lotion until yesterday. Could use someone to ease my mind about whether I really need all my clothing coated with this stuff every day.

rhkkmk Nov 29th, 2005 07:53 AM

forget the overall clothing spray, unless you feel it necessary...

i might take the stuff with me and access the situation when there...be prepared!!

anantara....one evening when we stayed late in the pool, the bugs arrived in droves as the sun went down....we got out of there quick...why risk it>>>

BostonHarbor Nov 29th, 2005 07:58 AM

I am also taking a three week trip starting December 15th to the same area. I am taking Malarone as I have no desire to take a chance on getting something as awful as Malaria. As Kathie mentioned, you want to be able to sit outside at an outdoor cafe at dusk and relax.

Regarding insect spray. Rather than Deet (which I hate to use), I am taking Cutter Advanced Picaridin Insect Repellent. It has only been available in the US for a few months. However, it has been available in Europe for many years (as is normal course). It is *SO* much nicer to use than Deet. It has almost no smell, sprays on as clean as water, and it is not oily at all. It also comes in great little one oz. spray plastic bottles (The six ounce bottles are easy to find. The perfectly sized one ounce bottles are very hard to find--do a Google search. I finally found them in an Army Navy store in Barre Vermont!!)

Maybe all the Fodorites already knew about Picardin, but I was thrilled. The ONLY downside is that it does not come in the intense strengths of DEET so it needs to be applied more often (the % strength relates to the length of time that a repellent will stay potent, not the strengh when you apply it--I just discovered this when I was looking into Picardin :-)

CDC and WHO Endorsement: (I'm putting these in so that you can check for yourselves)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/west...entUpdates.htm

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has revised its recommendations on insect repellents to use for effective protection against mosquitoes that may transmit the West Nile virus. In addition to DEET-based repellents, the CDC is now recommending repellents that contain the active ingredient Picaridin, which is new to the United States . Picaridin is proven to be as effective as DEET, but is more pleasant to use.

WHO

The World Health Organization
In 2000, The World Health Organization Pesticide Evaluation Scheme concluded that Picaridin can be recommended as the repellent of choice for malarial prevention. The report's findings show that Picaridin has a good safety profile and excellent cosmetic properties.

Journal of Drugs in Dematology

Picaridin is a new insect repellent that is comparable in effect and less irritating than diethyl toluamide (deet). Its activity and effects are reviewed in this article. http://ceourl.com/Picardin

Paulo59 Nov 29th, 2005 08:17 AM

So you are not planning on spraying your clothes in India? I leave Dec 16. Maybe we will see eachother.

3030vision Nov 29th, 2005 08:53 AM

I'm assuming you're referring to the Golden Triangle part of KL (Kuala Lumpur) Malaysia.

I would be *very* surprised if there any significant risk of malaria in what is basically downtown KL. We did get Malaria meds when we visited recently, but that was only so we wouldn't be restricted for any side trips elsewhere in Malaysia (read: "the jungle"). In other words, if you're planning on staying in KL, i believe Malaria meds would be overkill to say the least. I'm pretty sure the travel advisory warnings would back me up on this.

Hope that helps.

BostonHarbor Nov 29th, 2005 01:25 PM

No, I am not planning on spraying my clothes. I wear loose long sleeves and pants. I will spray my exposed skin with Picardin and take Malarone. I am staying at Oberoi hotels for the most part and will be doing the regular sightseeing stuff.

I believe that my precautions are sufficient.

Yes, we just may cross paths (may times :-). I'm so looking forward to the trip.