Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Make-up in carry on question (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/make-up-in-carry-on-question-746606/)

rbphilly Nov 4th, 2007 04:07 PM

Make-up in carry on question

I have checked the TSA web site and am still confused as to just what is required in the quart sized bags etc. Specifically, I am wondering about my MAC creamy foundation compact as well as a foundation stick. Is it permissible to carry these items in my handbag or do I have to place them in the quart bag too. What about lip gloss? I remember reading a post somewhere about what is allowed but can not find it.
We are leaving for Nepal and India this week. Thanks for your help.

Shanghainese Nov 4th, 2007 05:17 PM

When in doubt, just put them (3 oz each only) in the quart-size ziplock bag, the bag can go into your handbag, you just take it out of your handbag at the check point.

Not sure if you need your foundation compact and stick in Nepal and India.

lcuy Nov 4th, 2007 05:45 PM

Lip gloss goes in th quart bag, as well as any other gel or liquid items. Just put everything in the bag and you'll get it right back. If you have too much stuff for one quart bag, make another one.and give to your travelling partner.

Don't forget, liquids can only be in 3oz containers...If you have a 5 oz container, even if it is less than half full, you'll still have to leave it behind or put in in your checked baggage.

Last week, I watched a woman get almost hysterical over her $85 sun block and an almost empty bottle of Purell. Both were in 5 or 6 oz containers, and despite being quite empty, they were disallowed. We were inspected twice and her sunblock got caught at the first checkpoint, where the guard let her go back out and check her sunblock.

Her Purell got caught during a second inspection in the jetway. I suggested the woman share her Purell with everyone in line, so we all entered the plane with clean hands!

And foundation is good in India...protects your skin from all the pollution.

Cicerone Nov 4th, 2007 07:21 PM

Put them in your checked baggage, as you probably won't really want them during the flight in any event. You will want chap stick, rather than lip gloss, as the long flights are dehydrating. Also, there are similar regulations on flights on liquids within and from India and Nepal, so again I would just put evertthing into checked luggage.

tcreath Nov 5th, 2007 11:52 AM

I'm not sure about the compact foundation, but the foundation stick should be fine since it is a solid.

I brought a creme blush compact on the plane, along with my lip balm, in my purse and had no problems at all. I think that as long as they are solids, or fairly solid (meaning not liquid) then you should be fine. But when in doubt just use a ziplock bag and stick it in your purse.

Tracy

Mara Nov 5th, 2007 12:25 PM

Last year I carried on my luggage - I put my cosmetics, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. in the baggie as per TSA. I completely forgot that I had two liquid meds in bottles and another one in a tube in my carry on and no one said a thing.....I guess I was lucky!

Plus I had my chapstick in my coat pocket :)