Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Luxury Thailand in December? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/luxury-thailand-in-december-572616/)

tokyo Nov 24th, 2005 04:43 AM

Luxury Thailand in December?

Hi everyone
We're thinking of going to Thailand in December for a week. Ideally, we would like a villa with a pool and a fantastic beach close by.... at around $200 per night. Is this possible or are there any luxury hotels you would suggest? We just want to get away and chill out. Would the weather be better in Phuket or Koh Samui? If anyone has tried a reliable on-line booking system, could you suggest one?

p.s. I'm also posting a similar post on the Malaysia forum.. just to keep our options open.

Thanks very much,
Jak

Gpanda Nov 24th, 2005 06:44 AM

I suggest that you book as soon as possible. December is high season. $200 may be low for a villa, try Mon Tri's Villa Royale.

rhkkmk Nov 24th, 2005 06:50 AM

if you are talking christmas/new years i should certainly think that most everything has been reserved already, especially with the type of accomodations you suggest....if you are talking next week or the week after there may be still some things available...have you done a google search??

good hotel site: www.huahin.20m.com

you might consider not going to an island but rather to some place like hua hin or in that general area...

simpsonc510 Nov 24th, 2005 08:11 AM

Mom Tri's Villa Royale is very luxe, but the price will be around $600 unless they have some specials running. The villas book a year ahead for the holiday season.

Katathani is also very lovely. It is much larger than the villa property, but several pools and lovely grounds, and right on the beach.

Carol

JamesA Nov 25th, 2005 02:55 AM

If you are thinking around Christmas/New year most places would already be full, weatherwise Phuket area is good at that time also Hua Hin, Samui can be rainy.
I honestly do not think you are going to get a room with a pool ( e.g Pool Villa ) for USD 200 at all.
You will very much have to take what you can get, as Bob says if you go to this site you can put in requests for say 4 or 5 places around your price range ( no obligation at all, no credit card needed ) and then click the box which asks if you would be interested in 'similar', you need to click that as if your choices are full they will let you know what 'isn't' full, only when you decide on accommodation do they need a deposit, balance you pay a couple of weeks ahead though if over peak time they might need it fairly soon.

www.huahin.20m.com

for Phuket also try

www.patong-beach-hotels.com

( covers all beaches but you can see the differences between say Patong, Kata, Karon )

JamesA Nov 25th, 2005 02:57 AM

Also www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com has Phuket plus also links you to other luxury places, but problem is December luxury places go well up in price.

tokyo Nov 25th, 2005 04:23 AM

Thanks... that's very useful information. JamesA - you're a bit of a legend on this site!! All your Thailand posts are very useful information. Thanks for taking the time to give everyone real-world information, I'm sure a lot of people have benefited.

morgan2005 Nov 29th, 2005 02:37 AM

I would recommend asiarooms.com, You can choose so many hotels in their lists. Try to book earlier due to the high seasons at that period.

BeccaJ Nov 29th, 2005 05:21 AM

HAve a look at Rayavadee - expensive but stunning, you get your own house. Rayavdee is on Krabi - also look at the Pimalai on Koh Lanta, can highly highly recommend. Was at both last year. Hoe that helps and have a great trip (very envious!!)