Reload this Page >

luxury hotel in delhi

Search

luxury hotel in delhi

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:23 PM
c.l.

luxury hotel in delhi

I'm trying to plan the perfect trip to India and want to find a memorable hotel located near tourist attractions in Delhi. The Taj Mahal was recommended by a friend but the Fodor's guide wasn't keen on it. A garden would be nice.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Sunil

Hi, One possibility is the Oberoi Hotel, which is quite centrally located and is also near some of the historical tourist attractions. If you need any further information to help make your trip a perfect one, please feel free to contact me. Best of luck!

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 01:43 PM
Judy

This past December I stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel on Mansingh road in Delhi. It's in the diplomatic area of Delhi. I thought it was quite acceptable. They made the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had anywhere. <BR> <BR>I'm sure that the Oberoi would be fine also. <BR> <BR>If you go to Mumbai (Bombay) and I hope you do. Stay at the Taj Mahal Hotel in the old wing. Right out of an Indian movie. <BR> <BR>e-mail me if you like.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 06:09 PM
Jayelle

I also stayed at the Taj Mansingh in Delhi and thought it was a very good hotel. Not sure why Fodors didn't like it, but I think you'll find it perfectly acceptable.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 10:21 AM
nicky

i saw the Taj Mahal at dawn recently 9get there before 6am) and it was one of the highlights of my trip to India, not many people abot and the gardens are wonderful. I wouldn't have missed it. <BR>Another fantastic highlight was a riverboat trip on the Ganges at Varanesi. It was just before the sun went down and there's a festival atmosphere there every evening. candles and music and further up river, two cremations were being performed. (we didn't go too near for obvious reasons) it was so atmospheric, and finally I would certainly take a bicycle rickshaw thro' the streets of Varanesi in the evening.All I can say is that the sights, smells, sounds and vibrancy were something I shall never forget: one of those ultimate experiences that are so rare in life!

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 08:00 AM
naheed

If you want a hotel with character as well as luxury, you can't beat the newly-refurbished Imperial Hotel, very centrally located on Janpath.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 08:34 AM
Christine Cipriani

C.L. may already be back from India by now, but I thought I'd respond to the original question about the Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi, as I'm the editor of Fodor's India and stayed there just last year. In case anyone else is wondering, this is a fine hotel, one of the best in Delhi. We do, in the Fodor's guide, point out that it's a bustling hotel, not geared toward tranquility; but we're perfectly keen on it. Here's the Fodor's review: <BR> <BR>TAJ MAHAL <BR> <BR>This jazzy hotel crackles with life. If you want to be near Connaught Place and surrounded by Who's Who in Delhi---flamboyant weddings and all---by all means stay here. The lobby's wall and ceiling domes are decorated with bright Rajasthani-style ceramics, and marble jalis (latticework screens) discreetly cover pool-facing windows and surround a central platform with a bubbling fountain. Room decor is largely Western, with Indian touches; the best rooms are on the upper floors, overlooking the pool and garden. Five floors are dedicated to business travelers, who enjoy a cozy private lounge and complimentary breakfast. 1 Mansingh Rd., New Delhi 110011, phone 11/302--6162, fax 11/301--7299. 275 rooms, 15 suites. 5 restaurants, bar, coffee shop, pool, beauty salon, health club, baby-sitting, business services, meeting rooms, travel services. AE, DC, MC, V. <BR> <BR>Enjoy India! <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Christine Cipriani <BR>Editor, Fodor's India