Luxury for children in Bangkok

Feb 12th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Luxury for children in Bangkok

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to Thailand with my wife and two children, 6 and 8 yers old. I would like to stay at The Peninsula or Shangri-La or similar. What hotel is best suitable for children, with lovely garden and pool area, riverfront and accept children playing in the pool and hotel? The hotel should be classified as luxury.

Thank's
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I had lunch at Next 2 [the riverside cafe] at the Shangri-la -- then we mosied over to the pool area, drank some coffee and played a round of backgammom. The pool area and whole ambience was super -- not sure if it's better/worse than the Peninsula for children -- but it sure was nice
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:33 AM

THIS SITE MAKES ME SO MAD SOMETIMES....I JUST TYPED YOU A LONG RESPONSE AND IT DISAPPEARED ....

anyways....i would suggest the marriott reseot and spa...it does not have as much lux as the others, but it is far better in every way with kids....you would find the rooms have enough lux to satisfy you, or upgrade to a suite, and the kids will love it....simply it has the best pool in bkk and you always see other kids there....i have never seen kids at all at the penn on my many stays there....plus i think kids would disturb the tranquility of the penn pool which might be a megetive for you..

at the marriott there is a mini mall attached which has a mcdonalds, burger king, pizza hut and swensons' ice cream among other things which is great for the kids....the pool however is simply great and very large, plus there is a small kiddy pool...there is plenty of shade too, which the others do not offer and believe me you need some....you can eat right at the pool and they have things kids will readily eat...

its my choice and i think the one you would be happiest with....they may have a kids program as well...
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM

i've been trying to contact these airlines since jamesA first mentioned them a couple of weeks ago and i get no response...interesting
Feb 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM

sorry this posted in the wrong place
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:17 AM

We stayed at the Shang with two kids (4yrs. and 6yrs.old). We stayed on the Club floor and it was great for them. They loved the two pools (downstairs) and the grounds. Several evenings they had the food in the club floor for dinner and we had snacks there all day. They especially loved the super showers in the rooms. I think the Shang is less formal than the Pen and more comfortable with kids. The staff was very pleasant to our children.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM

All the hotels will welcome children playing in the pools and being present in the hotel generally. You will see fewer children at the Penn and Shangri-La than at the Marriott mentioned below. The pool at the Penn is long and narrow so I don't know how enjoyable that would be for kids, and there is basically no shade, which might be an issue for children as the sun and heat generally are fierce. The pool at the Shangri-La is very nice, and there is some shade and some grass around it. The pool at the Oriental is a little bit smaller, but has a better garden area with grass. Of the three, I would pick the Oriental as it has the nicest garden area (although not huge) and the hotel is smaller than the Shangri-La. The Shang is just too big for me. However, in terms of the best hotel overall among the three, I would pick the Penn. So, it is hard to say what would be best for you.

I agree with rhkkmk about the Bangkok Marriott Resort on the river, truly a stupendous pool, large with lots of shade and shallow areas as well, all of which make it much better for children, IMO. The trees make it feel like there is a huge garden, in reality there is a small area of grass off to one side, but there are extensive decks and paved areas. There is a nice hot tub in the shade as well. This would be the most child-friendly as there always seem to be other kids there, and they have a very friendly staff. As rhkkmk mentioned, you are within 3 minutes by foot of a McDonalds, a pizza place (formerly Pizza Hut but basically still the same operation) and a Swenson's ice cream, all good if your kids need a fast food injection beacuse of a Pad Thai overdose. . .

I don?t believe any of the pools have lifeguards, so do watch your children.

Feb 13th, 2004, 06:31 AM

There is a separate children's pool at the Oriental. But, children can swim in the "adult" pool.
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:03 PM

We've stayed at the Peninsula 3 times with our daughter, when she was 3, 4 and 5 years old. We all had a fantastic time each stay, and plan to go back this year, too. Staff is friendly, gracious and helpful - they greeted her by name everywhere...she loved that. There were always lots of other kids there, and we made vacation friends each time. The restaurants are accommodating, and eating breakfast Riverside is not to be missed. Jesters does not allow children, but the other restaurants do. We've always gotten an extra bed set up for our daughter at no extra charge - in the deluxe suite rooms there is more than enough space so I assume any room could easily accommodate extra beds. The hotel's river boat service is an attraction in itself, as well as convenient. I haven't got a single complaint about the Peninsula...we just love it.
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:46 PM

I've stayed at Peninsula. The place is very very nice, but I don't think it's good for children. Don't get me wrong...staff are just wonderful, but the place isn't kid-friendly.