Luggage allowance for checked bags in Myanmar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking several domestic flights in Myanmar and was wondering how many bags I am allowed to check for free-1 or 2. I assume that a 21 inch roll on will not fit into an overhead compartment on Air Bagan or Air Mandalay. Correct?

Also, I am debating whether to check my roll on for my international flight, as I am switching from Virgin Atlantic to Thai Airways in London and I think it would be less risky, thought more of a hassle, to keep the bag with me. I really don't want to deal with lost/delayed luggage on arrival in Myanmar after a 28 hour flight. Any thoughts or advice?
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 06:37 AM

i guess it really depends on how much time there is between flts in london.... if it is tight i might not risk it... and is there a change of terminal??
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM

You can check two pieces of luggage on flights in Myanmar. Your 21 inch roll aboard won't fit in any of the planes we flew this trip. The weight limit is the standard 20 kg per person, but the weighing of luggage varies from actually putting it on the scale (once) to a guy hefting a bag or two. Neither last trip not this trip did we pay any overweight baggage charges, though I remember Craig and Jeane did.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Bob-We have 4 hours between flights. I do not know if we have to switch terminals, but I will check. I haven't been in Heathrow in at least 15 years, so I guess I'd better do some homework on switching terminals, if necessary.

Kathie- I think we are going to take 3 bags, as it appears you and Cheryl did- two 21 inch rollies, and a 24 inch rollie, which we will check through to Myanmar. I assume your three suitcases fit in the trunk of the cars/transfers provided by Santa Maria.

Happy New Year to you both as well as to Cheryl, Karen and all the other Fodorites who are so forthcoming with really helpful information and really interesting TRs. I hope 2012 is a year of safe and interesting travel for all of us.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 01:29 PM

Yes, that's the amount of luggage we took, and it was no problem in the cars Santa Maria sent.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wishing you a new year full of travel adventures!
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM

transfering at heathrow is very easy now as they take you through underground tunnels, etc to get from one terminal to another... just follow the signs to transfers....