Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   luang prabang to chiang mai (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/luang-prabang-to-chiang-mai-575285/)

alibi13 Dec 8th, 2005 05:23 PM

luang prabang to chiang mai

Hi,

I am trying to get a plane ticket from Laos Airline. I want to go from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai on Friday January 6th. On their website, they quote a price of $71 a ticket. They have no offices in US, but mention Good Luck Tours. I called them. When all is said and done it will be $130 a ticket. ($80 a ticket, $15 in taxes, $10 credit card fee, $40 service fee, $20 for express mail.) This seems rather steep. Any suggestions?

I have sent an e-mail to the site, making a reservation, but it's unclear if I can purchase the ticket in the US. We fly to Japan on Thursday December 15th, so I want to get it settled by then.

Thank goodness I don't have anything with Thai Air, as they seem to be in some sort of transitory stage, shifting flights around etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kathie Dec 8th, 2005 05:44 PM

I used a travel agent in Bangkok to buy intra-Asia tickets recently. His email is [email protected] He is at the American Express agency in Bangkok. He charged by tickets to my credit card for no fee, and my tickets were waiting for me at my hotel in Bangkok when I checked in.

rhkkmk Dec 8th, 2005 06:03 PM

alibi---fyi, it is not allowed to charge a fee for credit card use in usa....it is against visa and m/c regulations....

it is however common in asia....

the regular flight from bkk to LP is about $260 i think so this is not all that far off point really....if you need the ticket, just pay it!!

landini Dec 8th, 2005 07:18 PM

I just returned from L.P and Chiang Mai and I paid $71.00 US for a one way ticket. I found it difficult to obtain before leaving the states, but have also heard of others using "Eddie" at the above mentioned travel agency.
Where will you be prior to L.P.? You can get tickets at the city office in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.
Keep in mind that these flights book up fast, as there are only 3 a week. Good luck

Kathie Dec 9th, 2005 08:16 AM

Bob, the $260 fare is Bangkok Air from BKK to LP. Alibi is talking about the Lao Avian flight, which should be in the low $70s.

While it's easy to but the tickets in Thailand, I'd want to have my tickets in advance since there aren't really other options on this route.

rhkkmk Dec 9th, 2005 10:29 AM

kathie---reread my post, i put bkk to lp and was only giving that as an example of the high price of the fares...i know she was speaking of CM-LP....i just did not think that was outrageous and she seemed to need to go on a certain day, so...........

alibi13 Dec 10th, 2005 06:46 AM

Thnaks, everyone. Kathie, I just sent an e-mail to your person, and he got back to me quickly. I think he can help me, but said their is some national holiday from 12/10 to 12/12. Thanks so much.

alibi13 Dec 13th, 2005 09:45 AM

Hi Kathie,

Just wanted to let you know that I just bought a ticket from Eddie. He e-mailed me a form. I filled it out and faxed it back, and he said my tickets would be waiting for me when I get to my hotel in Bangkok. And the price was less than $200, $60 less than what the US travel agent was going to charge me. Thank you. +

rhkkmk Dec 13th, 2005 09:46 AM

don't worry about your ticket...eddie comes through....

Kathie Dec 13th, 2005 11:12 AM

Great! I'm glad it worked out!